• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Matx or min-Itx?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jpaul

Registered
i think smaller is the trend

yet there doesnt seem to be a whole lot of mini-ITX boards
any one can recommend a good one?

or best to go with mATX?

there are good M-Itx boards, you just have to pay more for the smaller formfactor. I personally love the features and looks of the Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, tho I don't have it myself I heard the performance is excellent.

I've you don't need all of the extra IO slots on the board, mITX makes an awesome mini gamer rig... Using the P8H77-I right now on one machine and it's fantastic.

i say micro atx> mini itx atm.

there is about 3 inch difference in length and width which will affect case size, but you will have extra pic-e for something like a sound card, nic, or raid card.

most matx boards also allow more ram to be installed.

would anyone like to recommend me a nice z77 m-ATX and mini-ITX?

I'd probably just go with the GA-Z77N-WIFI for mITX. If you plan on heavily OCing, then you might opt for a different board since there aren't any heatsinks on the VRMs. It supports up to 16GB of RAM which is plenty for 99.9% of people.

I have two mATX boards, the G1.Sniper M3 and the Maximus V Gene. The Z77 Extreme4-M would be cheaper, but still a quality mATX board.

Last edited:
For OCing, I usually try to recommend boards that have more than the minimum 4+1 or 4+2 VRM section (this is the part of the motherboard that delivers power to the CPU).

These mATX boards would be:
  • ASUS P8Z77-M PRO
  • ASRock Z77 Professional-M
  • Gigabyte G1.Sniper M3
  • ASUS Maximus V Gene

MiniITX boards:
  • MSI Z77IA-E53
  • ASRock Z77E-ITX
  • ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
  • EVGA Stinger

Back