• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

max ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Only issue with maxing your is the cost. There aren't any specific performance losses, but that depends on the type of ram that you go with.

Plus desktop computers hardly handle any ram as it is, I have servers that will hold 1.5 TB of Ram for use by 4 CPU's.

i agree with you there,i think i saw somewhere that adding a lot of ram makes the cpu work harder or something like that. i have 8gigs of rip jaw. Not saying i was going to add more just like to know certain things.

The more ram you have the higher the stress on the IMC in the cpu. Might limit your max stable ram speed but that's about it.

That's simply because there's really no need for more than 16GB.

I would run 8GB, but I use my computer for 3D CAD and other engineering software, which can eat through RAM pretty fast.

o ok. Thanks for the bit of good info.
It funny i was talking to a guy the other day he said he had 64gb in his pc but could not tell me what mb he had.

I believe a good amount of socket 2011 boards can handle that much, don't quote me on that though.

Bad, no. Poor expenditure of money? Probably. Unless you need a ramdisk.

Are there any articles that I can show my friend,

ZDnet Article (Feb. 2013): http://www.zdnet.com/how-much-ram-do-i-need-early-2013-edition-7000011139/

Explains things so that the "joe-six guns" or "Suzi-shopper" can understand.

Guardian UK blog (Jan 2013):http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2013/jan/30/build-a-gaming-pc-2013

Please note this is more of a "gamers" point of view. Scroll down for the ram section. It is a bonus that the author lists thing from a "builders" point of view.

Thanks i enjoyed reading that.
So companies hype you up to buy saying there motherboards supports 32gb or even 64gb when the average person will never use the much ram. Is it just a selling tactic?

Thanks i enjoyed reading that.
So companies hype you up to buy saying there motherboards supports 32gb or even 64gb when the average person will never use the much ram. Is it just a selling tactic?

There are some legitimate reasons why you might want to run 32gb, however most "users' won't have a need to use 32gb.

For gamers there doesn't seem to be much benefit above 16gb - please be aware that some gamers would say that 8gb is plenty.

Some people (myself included) want to find the sweet spot for memory. Will games/applications need 16gb in the foreseeable future? IF what you are planning on playing/using then it make sense to "future-proof".

There are some legitimate reasons why you might want to run 32gb, however most "users' won't have a need to use 32gb.

For gamers there doesn't seem to be much benefit above 16gb - please be aware that some gamers would say that 8gb is plenty.

Some people (myself included) want to find the sweet spot for memory. Will games/applications need 16gb in the foreseeable future? IF what you are planning on playing/using then it make sense to "future-proof".

While I agree with that to an extent, I believe by the time that happens we will be well past DDR3.

While I agree with that to an extent, I believe by the time that happens we will be well past DDR3.

I concur. I have the nasty habit of building and then thinking what should have been built, not knowing that if/when/where the next "upgrade" would be. Remember pc800 rambus:chair: I got burned by that one.

Haswell-E is next year I believe. To some that is a lifetime for others it would seem like a week away....

Back