• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MCR120 v Black Ice SR1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nikitia

Registered
Hello, I've been looking into a couple different 120.1 radiators with low FPIs for a CPU only loop. I'm planning low FPIs just to keep the build a bit quieter.

So the two radiators (as stated in the title) are the:
Swiftech MCR 120
Black Ice SR1

Deciding between two different fans:
Yate Loon 120mmx25mm D12SH-124UB (Note: If this is chosen it will be with a fan controller.)
or
Gelid SolutionsWing 12PL 120mmx25mm

I'm not looking for what will "work best with my heatload" or anything like that, I'm curious on which one of these are thought to have greater cooling capabilities (with fans probably running ~1200-1600RPMs.)

Thanks ahead!

The first two links I have not read over, but yes, I do look through Skinneelabs and martinsliquidlab.

No, mainly because the radiators in that chart are 120.3 radiators and I'm looking for results on the two 120.1 radiators I had posted above. However I can (in the future) mount a 120.3 radiator on the interior of my case. I am using a Thermaltake Chaser Mk-I case so the 3rd fan would not be able to be installed due to that section being inside the top 5.25" bay slot (so a 120.2 radiator would be more practical in that situation.) Thank you though for that information.

The 120.3 and 120.1 radiators are mostly identical except for the fact that the 120.1's will dissipate 1/3 the amount of heat that the 120.3's will.

Okay. That information is very useful. I wasn't positive if it would be an equal ratio in that sense. Knowing that will definitely help in my decision. I was hoping for some people's opinions of the two though still.

Upon doing some thinking I will be setting up a push-pull setup on the radiator. So would a higher FPI radiator be a better solution perhaps, since a high FPI radiator can still get decent results (possibly better?) with a push-pull setup compared to a low FPI radiator with a pulling fan?

I currently can't get info on the interior mounted 140mm fan in my case because I am posting away from home on my phone.

In the rpm range you want, a low to medium fin density would be my choice of rad, at 1200 to 1600 rpm there is not a lot of difference in watt dissipation but a higher FPI radiator requires a higher static pressure fan with more rpms. Push-pull might get you 10-15% more watts dissipated, shrouding may or may not help at all.

let me help you.

IMHO:

if you dont mind going push/pull and want a quiet system
fans, use AP-15 1850rpms, they are dead quiet even on full.
and with push/pull, they can actually push enough air through a 20-25 FPI rad with relative ease.

Given enough CFM through the RAD (which is determined by Static pressure and fan design) the higher FPI, the better it is at dissipating heat. you are looking for just 120.1 rad, which .. is not a lot, as such, I will suggest you get the most heat dissipation out of it.

if you don't mind minor noises, there are better fans to pick from.
but the premise above is for a quiet system which you emphasized.

Yes. I'm looking for decent cooling/efficiency but wanting it to remain quiet and not take up a lot of space (though probably will mount another radiator on the top interior of my case in the future.) However anything I upgrade it to from my current radiator will be better.

bluezero5, my only question to that though is after looking at that fan, the CFM is a bit lower than the Gelid Solutions 12 PL though the RPM is just barely higher (50RPMs) with a slightly higher dB rating. So would the 12 PL be a better option do you think? (I know you did state in your opinion and we are also only looking at paper statistics here, nothing in practice.)

And thank you guys for the current help and advice.

Here is my take.

The SR-1 is a great, great low fannage radiator. It can be a low wattage rad at low fannage, but ohh so quiet. A great choice for too much rad at no noise. Thick. No need for push pull with good fannage, like me and Blue suggested. Blue is becoming more AP orientated it seems.

The Swiftech MCR120 is a bit thinner, decent FPI, might need another 200 RPM on the same fan for the same wattage dissipation, but a very excellent choice. At the price difference, it matters, great rad.

You are welcome like Mort suggested to really dig in to the specifics. Skinnee and Martin, and Bundymania, and some lesser respected folks have tested both.

Just my input.

Alright. Talking more about this has obviously made me look into other radiators or methods as well for my 120.1. IF I were to go with the idea of a push-pull would you think something like the Black Ice GT Stealth would be a good option since that is a high FPI? Sorry for going a little off topic on my original intents but more information is always good!

GOD NO. NIGH FPI MEANS NOISE, and that old rad....

Get past it dude, no one buys them unless they are an experianced moddrr and need a bit more cooling and know the issues.

Drop the Stealth 1999 rad desing and move on. You wonder why it's cheap? Duuuuu

You began your rad resarch today. Does your money deserve a few days of research?

SLOWWWWW down.

Actually no, I did not begin my rad research today. I asked a question, the response did not need to be so harsh. I was curious of it to see an opinion. Your strong reaction has given me an answer, thank you.

I'm like that, I'm sorry. I am the hard answering guy. If you have read 30 posts besides yours you would see that. That's research. And I gave you an informed answer. Twice.

It's time to set the issue and you need to figure it out. I am a hard *** here and I know generally whats best, you just need to choose and do it, it's your stuff, it's a hobby. We have done all we can to help really. Thanks to Mort and Blue for thier help.

Yes, they gave me information I was looking for. I'm currently still deciding on my radiator choice, balancing price and performance, wanting other opinions to help that decision and also just curious of other selections I've seen going through stores and reviews (such as Phoyba radiators, seems to be untouched waters.)

Nikitia, about fans, I have wrote something scientific on how to pick them

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709786

I hope that can help you.
Just remember if you don't have time to read it. CFM is just '1' aspect of a fan, a fan can have a high CFM, but still be a terrible Radiator fan... so do besure to take a look at other factors on the fan's spec too.

Back