• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory cooling mods on the TH7-II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
***Drool***

Very nice! I want, I want!

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with a machine shop, except my buddy Woofer (hint, hint).

If the memory chips are approximately 10mm X 20mm, I'll probably have to order 8 of these heatsinks per RAM module (see below) and AS epoxy them on. They will be a little tall, but I can grind them down a little.

http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/51/cat51.htm?955

bd0rdudm.jpg

Although I haven't done any real mods to my Rdram, I wanted to post for those with higher system temps which I feel are due to the Rdram.
My P 4 1.6A has been running at 133FSB since day 2 with the Rdram at 400 full speed. Ran Prime TT overnight, no errors. Been running great for 2 weeks. But I had high system temps in a case which had always ran at 5C over ambient, and didn't rise with the CPU under load. With this Rdram sys, the system temps were 10C over ambient at idle, and rose an equal amount with the CPU under load. Obviously, high case temps, high CPU temps.
After reading this thread and others, I mounted an 80mm fan above the Rdram. Wow, what a diff! My system temps are now 5C lower, and only rise 2-3C under load, whereas the CPU will rise up 10-12C. My max CPU temp is also lower, in the 45C range, where b/4 it would reach 50C and higher.
Also, although my 400Mhz DRCGs are doing 533 with no errors, I agree with the sentiment in this thread that cooling them should help, after all they are running out of spec.
Great thread, thanks to all.

I wonder if it would do any good to pop the spreader off and apply some arctic silver to each chip and then put the cover back on with a new pop rivet.

Excellent idea TC. I think it would work if you removed that thick sticky strip inside and replaced it with an eqally thick strip of copper.

... just a question ...

was anyone successful in running the memory at ~600MHz?
what mods were necessary? e.g. replacing the rimm-heatspreader, vRimm modding, heatsinks on the DRCGs, ...

right now I'm running my Rambus @150x3 and wanted to check the possibilities for 150x4 :eek:

I've run @ 620 155*4
heres what it yielded
155x4.jpg
155ssmem.jpg
Redphex said:
... just a question ...

was anyone successful in running the memory at ~600MHz?
what mods were necessary? e.g. replacing the rimm-heatspreader, vRimm modding, heatsinks on the DRCGs, ...

right now I'm running my Rambus @150x3 and wanted to check the possibilities for 150x4 :eek:

I've been following this thread, lucky to have found it and its quite interesting. I'm on my third day with a 1.6NW/TH7II-R setup. Dont send mercenaries after me, but I've got the FSB set at 160 - 1.7v(1.65v) with the TH7 Beta BIOS. RAMBUS is set to AUTO. If I set to either 300 or 400 the system buzzes at POST. WCPUID claims approx 640Mhz QDR, so I'm guessing the RAM is in 400 mode?

I was searching various forums for RAMBUS heat discussions, because these suckers are incredibly hot to the touch, yet I have zero problems running a Sandra burn-in loop for several hours straight. I'm quite concerned about this heat. At a 133 FSB, they are very warm. At the moment, the board is out of case being bench tested. When case mounted, I'll have to rig something up to blow air on the RAM. I hate to drop the FSB to keep the RAM heat down being that it's running so stable, but I'm amazed how hot these suckers are getting. I can maybe keep a finger on them for 2 seconds. Perhaps it's better to drop back and avoid a melt down. I'm not sure about the ICS heat, havent checked it out. They're the -03 ones BTW.

It was cool seeing the system run like a champ at 160, but I'm gonna drop it down for awhile. Try it again later after I get some ideas, like what I'm reading here.

ctay, hello.
Your running the auto setting? You know what , I never even thought to try that. Always either 300 or 400. Now this has given me some hope as I can boot at 150 now after adding sinks to the spreaders. I added a sink to the drcg's but no luck. I read some technical jargon later that the drcg's are designed to emit most of their heat downward into the pcb of the motherboard. If that's true then I think I'll remove the sink and just have air blasting on them.
Keep us posted on how it performs when mounted in a case.

Update: I just tried auto setting for first time and it stayed at a mem setting of 450mhz and I kept the FSB to 150mhz and fix.
Maybe it's the beta bios? I'll wait till someone else tries that is using the 77 bios.

Last edited:
What do you mean by beta bios? Do you mean the hacked 77 bios or something else. If its something else, where can I download it? Nice fsb on that ctay.

amd_builder said:
What do you mean by beta bios? Do you mean the hacked 77 bios or something else. If its something else, where can I download it? Nice fsb on that ctay.

Sorry, I meant the hacked 77 bios.

Back