• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory cooling mods on the TH7-II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I dont think the RAMBUS is in 400 mode afterall. During POST I'm seeing 480/160. I'm guessing I should see 640/160? I remember seeing a screen shot of someone running at 133FSB and their POST was 533/133. Perhaps my ICS -03 just cant handle it. Couple days ago I remember trying 133 and only saw 399/133 during POST :( Can't seem to force it either. RAMBUS in BIOS is set to Auto. If I try 300 or 400, it whines and locks up tight. Clearing the BIOS via jumper didnt help. I had to pull the RAM and reseat. It booted fine afterwards. I'll experiment more later.

There's a newer BETA BIOS available, 43a. Just finished some quick tests. Managed to get 140FSB at full RAMBUS speed, 560/140. 150FSB attempt choked, system buzzed and is locked up. Though I did get an overall higher FSB with a lower RAMBUS speed at 165FSB, 495/165. I'll test some more later.

BIOS is available at:
http://www.solidhardware.com/macci/stuff/th7h_43a.zip

Enjoy ......

woofer said:

LabMan...What!!! You dont like the high tech "paper clip" retention device??:D

It was ONLY for the photo,s.....:)

Will be using Thermal epoxy when the H/S is attached properly , somtime today so i can do some testing.
woofer, how much for you to make me 4 of those, and send them to me? those are awesome, great work, and im serious, if you will make, i will pay.:D

Hi.
I actually experiment with the cooling of RDRAM. I attached two 80mm fans about 2-3 cm in front of the RDRAM (Samsung, 2x256 one sided). A have one thermal probe on the heat spread (jp1 on MB) and second on the back side from DDC5.
Without the cooling front => 52°C max read from bios no fans in the case on. Back probe => always 1-2,5°C behind. With the two rear case fans on and that 2x80mm on RIMM on T => 30-30,7°C max.
I want add Thermaltake heatspread on the back side but I don`t know if it`s hepl. What you think?

[sorry for my english ;(]

I just compared my new Samsung RDRAM to one of my old sticks of PC100 SDRAM. And just by eyeballing it, they appear to be the same dimensions. Does anyone think there would be a benefit to popping off the Samsung heat spreaders as discussed above and then using the Thermaltake Active Memory Cooling Kit? It looks like it might work, they're relatively cheap and since I don't have the ability to machine something myself seems like it could be a good solution for me.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Eggroll :D

P.S. Hey, I got a star! Woo hoo!

Well to ad another board to the list I bought my TH7-II whe they were maybe out for a month. It's been sitting for a while..... It has AC2001, 37 bios, and ..... crap cant find it, where is that thing.

Mounting of sinks

Woofer, when you mount the heatsinks will you have to apply the adhesive on every single RAM chip? I have never used the stuff myself and from what I gathered it's permanent as well right? I'm going to keep an eye on your outcome. If it's worth doing I think I'll have a few of those babies whipped up as well.

Last edited:
If I were doing it, I'd apply a little Arctic Silver epoxy to each memory chip. Yes, it is very much permenant. Some people claim if you mix the epoxy with regular Arctic Silver thermal paste that you can remove it later if you're careful, but I've never tried that. I've heard you apply the one part epoxy, one part hardner (it's a two part epoxy that you have to mix) and one part thermal paste. I would think this would form a weak bond that might fall off, or it might still be very strong and still could be permanent. Another method I've heard about for those who don't want to buy AS adhesive, and has been used on installing GPU heatsinks in the past, was to apply 4 tiny drops of superglue on each corner of the chip and then apply Arctic Silver thermal paste in the middle. The super glue method might not work for the RDRAM chips, because the glue might cure too fast before you get all those chips done.

Last edited:
I also am thinking of doing this directly to the chips but was told Arctic Alumina would be much safer to use as the chips are small and easy to get some on the pins.

HAHAHAHAHA

Read this, it explains the AC2001 thing:D

EDIT: Ok cant seem to post it, anyway the AC2001 has nothing to do with AC97 it is a chip to control the digital bug diplay and diagnostics:D

Last edited:
The supeglue idea should work since it is an anerobic adhesive - that means it sets in the abscence of air - try it place a drop on a piece of plastic and it will not cure - that is why there is such a large air gap in the top of a superglue bottle.

I have been thinking about making some copper ramsinks and using arctic silver epoxy to attach them to the ram chips.

If I measure the temperature of the standard heat spreader I only measure about 2C above ambient.

I am using a Coolercase Tornado with 6 YS-Tech 80mm fans fitted 2 side, 2 top, 1 front and 1 back giving 282 CFM air flow. Also have an Enermax 431W PSU which has another 2 YS Tech Fans and an ALPHA heatsink (lapped) with another 80mm YS tech fan on that.

Not the quietest setup but moves plenty of air through the case.

I have a P4 1.8A running at 2.5 (138 FSB) at 1.7V which maxes out at 46C running Prime95 Stress Test - idles at ambient + 5C (around 32-34C).

Havent done the VID pin mod yet still waiting for a bios only option.

Mem maxes out around 500MHz (125 FSB 400 Ram setting).

Anybody got any suggestions to get higher FSB.

Thanks

Back