• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Memory help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

js1921

Registered
Hello,

I have an Asus P9X79 Deluxe motherboard and I need some help with what type of memory I should use, mainly with speed and voltage, or is it frequency? My knowledge is poor when it comes to memory. This is only my second built.

The computer will mainly be used for gaming, my preference is Corsair, and size range from 12gb and up. My cpu is the i7-3960X, if more information is needed I will gladly post it. Thanks in advance

Any DDR3 should be fine. I would shoot for 1600Mhz or faster (probably faster since your system is fairly high-end).

any decent quad channel ram kit should be fine.
1600 Dimms seems to be the sweet spot for x79
you have 8 ram slots on your board so you can ether use 4 or 8 sticks for quad channel
use 4 larger sticks for leaving room for future upgrades or use 8 smaller capacity sticks for saving a few $
i would go with some DDR3 1600 4x4=16GB quad channel kit ether from Corsair or G.Skill.
maybe something like this

Back