• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MEMORY OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Amateur OC

I visit my bios settings and i found out that my ram is not running at full speed (its at 2133 but its 2400). When i try to use an XMP Profile the only option is disabled.

My Specs:

I7 6700K

Kingston DDR4-2400

ASUS H110M-A

The H110 chipset doesn't allow RAM to run over its base/JEDEC specification (2133). Pretty sure you are stuck with 2133 on that chipset(H110). You would need a Z170 based motherboard (not worth the cost of upgrading).

(not worth the cost of upgrading).

Not to go from 2133 MHz to 2400 MHz, for sure. Cheapest Z170 boards on newegg are only a dollar or two under $100, most considerably more. If you can fidnd a good deal on one somewhere it would be nice to have, as RAM prices continue to drop and you could then pick up some faster memory.

Not to go from 2133 MHz to 2400 MHz, for sure. Cheapest Z170 boards on newegg are only a dollar or two under $100, most considerably more. If you can fidnd a good deal on one somewhere it would be nice to have, as RAM prices continue to drop and you could then pick up some faster memory.
Still not worth the difference. I'd rather take that $200+ and put it towards an upgrade that is actually tangible. :)

I don't know if I'd see a difference going from 3733 MHz to 2133 MHz or not. I would think it would be noticeable with that big a difference, but it took a solid week to get it where it is and I don't see myself dropping to 2133 MHz anytime soon just to find out there was no real benefit to all that work. :rofl:

Difference between 2133/2400 and something like 3200+ is noticeable but it also depends on the platform. On Ryzen you can see it more, on Intel less but if you use applications which are using more RAM then you just feel the difference ... or at least I feel. Anything above 4000 doesn't matter, it just looks nice in benchmarks.
Of course if you don't spend much time using the PC and you don't feel it works somehow slower then expected then it's not worth to move from even 2133/2400 to something higher.

Back