• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory or motherboad at fault?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

StoneRyno

Until today my PC has been functioning mostly regularly. I had to replace the PSU sometime back when I upgraded my GFX card. I know my system is aging and sooner than later will need to build a new system as this one was built in 2012. But in the mean time an issue has cropped up with this one. The system won't post with the RAM configured to it's specs of 10-12-12-31 DDR2400 and voltage set to 0.1v higher than spec because for some reason that I can remember. It will post and run fine now if I reset the BIOS and keep the RAM default settings 9-9-9-24 DDR1333. At this time I have not tried any other settings as I wanted to post this first for advice on how to proceed. It's been so long since I have had to do anything that I don't even know if the testing software I used 2012 and back are still relevant or if there are new preferred stuff. Thanks.

Memtest the ram. If it doesn't run the rated timings and speed at the rated voltage without errors, it's no good.

I discovered the issue when I went back into the bios to configure things again. This time around I set it to use the XMP profile and manually set the voltage since for some reason the BIOS doesn't set that right. Previously I had manually set the specs because I was trying out different settings. I wonder if the bios settings somehow got misconfigured as a result of the forced power off I had to do the day before. I wouldn't think it possible but I can't come up with anything else to explain what happened since I had not messed with the settings for a long time. With choosing by XMP profile the system boots just fine and also there were no errors in the memtest test using all tests.

Back