• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory timing 790fxb-m3h5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

terran2k

I have a DFI DK 790FXB-M3H5 motherboard using 16GBs DDR3 1600 Ripjaw memory. cpu is an amd 1055t
I am using it to replace my Q6600 as my esxi server and I want to keep it's power usage low. to enable c2 state in bios I also need to set the memory timing mode to Auto.
when I do this, the bios has -

memory current value: 1066
timing mode: auto
memory clock value or limit: ddr3 1600

so this confuses me, does the system know it's ddr3 1600 but running it as ddr3 1066?
or is it somehow dynamic?
I am not Overclocking this CPU right now.

This may be hard for you to accept (it is for most people) but when you buy ram rated at 1600 mhz you are actually buying 1333 ram that's a little extra good and was tested at the factory to run at 1600 mhz when overclocked by adding extra voltage or relaxing the timings. If you don't believe me then download and install CPU-z and open the "SPD" tab. Those values in the JEDEC columns are what is encoded on the module at the factory. The JEDEC column farthest to the right would be the factory recommended voltages and timings for running the ram at 1600. Compare them to the values in the other columns that represent lower speeds.

Having said all that the default speed of the motherboard would nomrally be 1333 for DDR3 1600. It's a little odd that it defaulted to 1066. You will have to take the memory speed setting in bios off of "Auto" and manually set it to a higher value.

Just a heads up, though: Even if your ram will do 1600 you may find that the system will not be stable at that value, especially if overclocked since the AMD integrated memory controller is only rated for 1333.

it's probably this beta bios from DFI is why it's using 1066 instead of 1333. I just went ahead and set the speed and timings for DDR3 1600.

I have a DFI DK 790FXB-M3H5 motherboard using 16GBs DDR3 1600 Ripjaw memory. cpu is an amd 1055t
I am using it to replace my Q6600 as my esxi server and I want to keep it's power usage low. to enable c2 state in bios I also need to set the memory timing mode to Auto.
when I do this, the bios has -

memory current value: 1066
timing mode: auto
memory clock value or limit: ddr3 1600

so this confuses me, does the system know it's ddr3 1600 but running it as ddr3 1066?
or is it somehow dynamic?
I am not Overclocking this CPU right now.

Hi,
I have just installed a DFI DK790FXB-M3H5 and the chipset driver disk will not install. I am using Win7 Pro x64.
I get this message:
"Setup Message"
The main board is not supported with this operating system. The application will be terminated"
Do you know where I could get the Win7 x64 drivers?
I have tried the DFI website, but this motherboard is not listed there.
Hope you can help.
Eric.

Last edited:
go to amd and d/l 790fx drivers there

Thanks, but the only reference at AMD is to Logo design & XP/Vista x64 compatibility and my driver disk is already "Vista driver ready". I could not even find a link to 790FX drivers.

It would be great if someone has an actual link to the Win 7 x64 drivers for 790FX.

Thanks again.
Eric.

Link >> Second driver down is the chipset driver for Win 7 64 bit. The other drivers are pretty self-explanatory.

The driver dVd is not prepared to 'auto-run' on Win 7 "BUT" if you explore the dVd with windows explorer, (after closing that error message) you can indeed install the drivers from the furnished dVd. Luck man.

Thanks, but yes I tried exploring and running the setup.exe ended up with the same error result. I'm now going to try some Win7 Gigabyte drivers...
Eric.

Back