• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory timing help ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xtreme Barton

i was wondering (being a noob) if you have to adjust memory timings in acordance with each other. for example i am currently at 2.5, 3, 3, 7 and was wondering if i loosen up timings if i would have to change all parameters. example 2.5, 7, 7, 11.. would that be ok or if i change the last one would i have to change the middle selections also ??? what is reccomended ?
i have

samsung pc2700
barton 2500
maxtor 60gb ata 133
nvidia geforce 4 ti 4600

sorry if its a dumb question ..

No you dont have to change all parameters. There are no dump questions.(Well sometimes there are) :)

I have read that the high number should be the sum of the middle numbers plus 2. Running memtest86 I found errors with 2-3-2-6 so I upped the last number to 7 and passed the test. I recently ran Prime95 on my system and it found an error running at 2-3-2-7. When I changed to 2-3-3-8 it ran fine for six hours.

I used to have some Samsung PC2700 and it liked 2.5-3-3-6. You try out 3-3-3-7, 2.5-3-3-7, etc. Run a bench like 3DMark2001 or UT2003 benchmark (its in the free UT2003 demo) with various settings to see what performs best. If you are overclocking make a CD or floppy with Memtest86 on it and boot into that from bios to test stability before going into windows (so you don't hose it).

Back