• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Timings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GatorChamp

Hey Everyone,
So planning to upgrade to Ryzen 3000 soon and was going to mess with my memory timings before doing to see what my memory was capable of. Have not touch my memory yet and have not really messed with timings or memory overclocking in years.

The memory I have is: https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232381?Item=N82E16820232381 and the timings are 15-15-15-35. So when I opened CPU-Z initially to look at my memory, it actually says 16-15-15-35. In the bios it says 16-15-15-15-35 (actually an additional number). So I tightened up the times to see what would happen and the numbers move for two of the values in CPUZ but the CAS# Latency(CL) does not change. I had initially just changed the tCL value in the bios from 16 to 15 but that didnt seem to do anything according to CPUz. I then went in and change all number 1 value lower as you can see in the photo. That resulted in the CPUz image I've attached. The CL value does not seem to respond. Any idea what's going on here?

Thanks!

Edit: Sorry - don't know why that image is attached twice... I only see two images from my end.

Memory2.jpg Memory.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1268.jpg
    IMG_1268.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 430
Probably gear down mode enabled, which sets CL to nearest higher even value. If you want to try odd latencies turn off GDM somewhere in bios.

Yep that fixed it. So am I understanding that even though this was CL15 memory, I've been running at CL16 this entire time because of GDM?

Yes.
You can check 14-14-14 on this memory as it should be based on the same IC as 3200 CL14 kits. All other timings look like in CL14 kits.

Back