• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memtest question re: errors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Solder

When running memtest, if an error occurs, will the test crash or will it just show an error in the results? I'm wondering if I need to be with the system when testing it.

When running memtest, if an error occurs, will the test crash or will it just show an error in the results? I'm wondering if I need to be with the system when testing it.

You can leave it run and walk away, it won't crash. It will continue and perhaps will find more errors, maybe not.

Great, thanks so much. By the way, are tests 5 and 8 still the ones to run that will find errors if there are any to be had?

Great, thanks so much. By the way, are tests 5 and 8 still the ones to run that will find errors if there are any to be had?

Run them all for 4 - 5 passes (couple hours). This should give you a good idea how your RAMs are. If they pass, you're not done, they need to pass in Windows too.

I use Superpi 32 mb test next in Windows then Orthos (Prime 95 with a nice GUI).

Another very good test of stability is LinX. It is very processor and memory intensive.

Superpi ran 32M in 9min 47sec. It didn't say anything about any errors but when I went to check the checksum online I found the tool is broken. Everyone gets a "checksum is incorrect!" message.

That depends on how bad the error is. Sometimes it has found errors that hung the application and other times others that are just recorded and let the tests continue. It all depends on how extreme is your OC.

It depends.

I've seen memory diagnostics continue to work normally and keep reporting errors, reboot the computer and start over (run for 6 hours but it's still in the middle of the first pass), freeze, or bomb out and report a runtime error but leave its last screen update displayed.

MemTest86+ is very good, but for some reason it's never found an error for me with memory that passed the slow boot-up test, while the very similar MemTest86 has. Also Gold Memory 5.07 has found about every error reported by any other diagnostic, but Gold Memory 6.92 never has detected anything for me, nor has Microsoft's memory diagnostic, but two people said the only program that found errors was Microsoft's. The moral is, use more than one diagnostic.

Back