• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Method of "extreme cooling" poll (July-Dec 05)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What is your method of "extreme cooling"?

• Solid-state.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Phase-change.

Votes: 30 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

eobard

Give me a break Senior
This poll is one of a series of polls designed to give members the opportunity to see what the membership as a whole have chosen in regards to some of the more common cooling choices. This particular poll is for members to show what kind of "extreme cooling" is being used by them. It will also give anyone who feels the need, the opportunity to explain why they have chosen that method and possibly help others decide on what their method of "extreme cooling" will be. This poll, along with the others will be stuck in the appropriate section and will be open for six months, after which a new poll will be set in place to allow future members to show their choices, current members to list any changes in their choices, and to allow members to track shifts in trends over an extended period.

Having said that, what is your method of "extreme cooling" your main system, is it solid-state (ie:TEC), phase-change (ie:prometia) or other (ie:dry ice)?

Unfortunately I've yet to get into extreme cooling so someone else gets the first vote and story.

I'll leave it up to you all to make the individual choice about wether you consider one from of extreme the more primary one, and then vote for that, or if you want to vote "other" and elaborate in your posts (same as the choices setup for the t-line/rez poll here). I'm trying to keep the number of choices limited for simplicity sake.

Well I voted solid state. The next poll will most likely get a phase change vote. I am just starting my first build of a phase change, but I have been fooling around with tecs for quite some time. I've pelting everything that can be pelted except my cpu because that thing is putting out too much heat to be worth trying. 1C water through the waterblock is good enough for benchmarks.

Well I voted phase change. I don't actually have the home made unit running quite yet (have run into more than a couple problems) but I know I will soon.

I have moved from air to water and tried the pelt option, but I really feel phase change is the best way to extreme cool. I made a nice little water chiller that used pelts, and although it worked, I just couldn't stand to use it constantly. The air coming out of the chiller felt like a hair drier.

In my opinion, phase change is the best extreme cooling option because if the efficiency and temperatures it offers. A decent single stage unit can give temperatures 30 degrees lower than a good pelt setup, while using less power. The initial cost of phase change keeps a lot of people away, but if you make your own, or buy a unit from one of the better known private makers (Chilly1, PC ICE etc.) the cost is quite comparable to a decent pelt setup.

From what I am seeing, water cooling has gone mainstream, and phase change is the new water.

Mach1 on the cpu and H20 on the gpu :) I wanted phase change because that was the last step for me as far cooling was concerend. I went from the air to noisey air, to quiet H20, to noisey h20, chilled and noisey h20. Last was the quiet Phase change. Now i'm slight noise phased because of swapping fans.

I'm very happy using extreme cooling and can oc with ease without worrying about temps :santa:

Back