• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

micron RAM with MSI K8N neo2 platinum

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

far far away

hi!
wanted to ask if anybody is running his/her system with these two components and having some problems?
because i have a little problem: my micron 5B-C would do 243MHz @ tight timings, but when i wanted to test my new system with these settings windows didn't boot! (i tried to run 1:1, because the micron can do this, i have already tested them on an intel computer)
any suggestions?
thx!

Hey, how have you been (besides far, far away)? I see you made the switch from AXP to A64. Those speeds and timings were on your friends Intel, not yours, right?

Have you tried to boot at more relaxed timings, like 2.5-3-3-10, at a lower fsb, then work up?

I seem to recall by when there was that big thread on the Micron "C" revision (yours are the PC3700 from Buffalo Tech aren't they?) that they seemed to work better on Intel than AMD rigs. You just might have to give up something to run 1:1, or just use the dividers.

hey reefa, nice to see you again.... need ur opinion once more ;)
yes, i have tested them on my friends computer, no they are from tblmemory (PC3500)

reefa, i can't understand why the RAM would do on an intel system 240Mhz with tight timings 1:1 and on an A64 system they don't do more than 200Mhz (vdimm is 2.9) with these timings 1:1???

right now i am using the 166 divider, otherwise my system wouldn't boot, but i don't wanna use the damn divider because i know that my RAM are more capable than this speed!

(sorry, my english isn't so good)
thx!

Your English is fine.

PC3500? Did you get something different as I thought you bought Buffalo Tech PC3700 (DDR466) at the same time the rest of us did?

I don't have an answer for you as to why it won't boot at over 200. Have you tried different slots to see if you get better results and what timings did you use?

hi guy how are u??.unfortunately the answer is probably within the onboard mem controller. each platform has its quirks. i got like 245/250 at 3.2 volts with my kvr/micron. but its with an intel setup..

fine and u flapper? ;)
so, i have tested one module and look, prime works fine!!!
that means prime won't run if micron RAMs run dc only @ sc... :(
my final tests:
1:1 dc <200Mhz
3:2 dc <240Mhz
above 240Mhz is everything unstable, doesn't matter if tight or relaxed timings!
do u have any results for me?

far far away said:
hi!
wanted to ask if anybody is running his/her system with these two components and having some problems?
because i have a little problem: my micron 5B-C would do 243MHz @ tight timings, but when i wanted to test my new system with these settings windows didn't boot! (i tried to run 1:1, because the micron can do this, i have already tested them on an intel computer)
any suggestions?
thx!

I have tried Micron ram on the MSI Neo2 Plat board. What timings and fsb are you trying to run?

Try dropping to 4xLDT as I found the board doesn't run 5x anywhere near as good as the DFI LP UT3 board, but the CPU has a lot to do with it.

I tried my Buffalo PC3200 and the thing won't run CAS 2.5 at all, much above 200 fsb. I have an early board with 0404xxxx NF3 chipset and it don't like CAS 2. It has the ancient A64 thought process and BH-5 has to run 2-3-2-5 even though my XMS3500 run 2-2-2-5 fine on every other board.

Ballistix PC4000 will run 242, 2.5-2-2-5, 4xLDT fine though.

far far away said:
thx reefa, but i really don't know what to do next.... everybody can run 1:1 min. 240Mhz, only i can't!
damn.... :(

Thanks for that thread Reefa, never seen it before. It's a refreshing upside to the usual bunch of guys claiming they can run 289-295 synch, 1T.

While your threshold of 240 does seem a little low Far, I question the true stability of a lot of these high overclocks. Been flogging the MSI board for a week, and fortunately for me, I found a gem of a 3000+ which does 300x9, rock stable on the CPU, at 1.525-1.55 volts. This CPU is a good ram tester.

Things get squirrely >270 using 2x512 at 1T, depending on the ram and mem controller of the CPU. Passing all four 'Marks is an achievement up >280. Even then, run a long 3D demo like SS2nd Encounter and the IL-2 demo and you may kick to the desktop. It's the same 5:4 instability of P4 rigs.

My early set of PQI TCCD run 275, 3-3-3-6 with a 3200+, but won't go above 266 on the 3000+, however it can run 2.5-3-3-6 there. Best I can do that is 257 on the 3200+. Some guys can run 2.5-4-4-6 to get more mileage out of TCCD, mine doesn't like those timings.

Your -5B Cs may max out at 240 at 2.85 volts. I know on the IS7 board with 2.8 VDIMM it maxes at 245 or so, 2x512s.

Max I can do at 2x512, 1T is 283 with my Vitesta PC4000. That's benching all four 'Marks. I have some GSKill PC4400 on the way, and I will be picking up Vitesta PC600 soon in Japan. I doubt I will be able to run 300x9, 1:1 on the ram, depending on the mem controller of my 3000+, but who knows. I know damn sure that PC600 has more headroom than my PC500 Vitesta ;).

I still get a 32 sec SuperPI 1M time at 300x9 (2700 mhz) with the 133 divider so my ram is only at 200 mhz, 2-3-3-6! Can't complain about that.

far far away said:
so you mean my 3200+ is crap?

The truth is that not many guys had good results with those sticks...me included. You should consider trying to do an RMA with Buffalo Tech as they will not run the stated DDR466 (verify, but I'm sure we all bought PC3700, not PC3500 as you stated...BT did not make PC3500 with Micron, only PC3200 & 3700, wait...except for the Firestix PC3500...forgot about those). In any event, they won't even run DDR433 so maybe you can get a set of either the newer PC3200 with the "G" revision sticks or Firestix 3500, either one will at least give you new hope. Or possibly they may have some of the PC3200 with the ch-5 chips lying around...ask Bruce, goes by the "Memory Man" over at PC Perspective.

Good luck.

far far away said:
reefa i would do that what u are telling me to do, but just consider the costs of shipping these sticks around the globe! i am not that rich! ;)

I understand, as I've had to exchange 3 sets of ram in the last 4-5 months. I don't like doing it just in the states, I can only imagine what it costs from your side of the "big pond".

On the flip side, if for the cost of shipping you can get a new set that will run 230-240, then that is much cheaper than the cost of new ram, which you would probably purchase in time due to being fustrated with your current stuff.

Alternatively, find a buyer for your Micron that is not interested in overclocking (or one with an Intel rig) and then buy new TCCD. It will end up costing you more than the shipping cost but in the long run it will better match your rig and you will be a much happier man.

The TCCD works very well with the A64 rigs. That has been pretty much documented and would be your best bet in achieving compatibility and good performance with your board. That does raise a question...do you know that its your ram and not your mobo that is causing your grief? After all, it is a new system and you don't REALLY know which component could be failing, do you?

Can you get access to another stick of ram from a friend (or worse case - even by buying something, testing, then returning) in order to test your mobo to be sure that it is not the one having problems?

Did I understand you correctly that you are able to run just under 240 using memory dividers, but just not at 1:1? Trying another stick would allow you to rule out the mobo if it does in fact run past 230 at 1:1, regardless of timings. If you satisfy yourself that it is not the mobo, then there are several options for TCCD. The PDP Patriot and the PQI are probably the least expensive. Keep in mind that PQI sells single sticks, so you could either pick up a single 512 stick and later get a second, or depending on your needs, get 2x256 instead. Here are links for them at newegg.

About $225 US after shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-220-033&depa=1

This is TCCD from PQI (about $235 shipped) - the 2.5-3-3-7 are for DDR500 speeds, but will run 2-2-2-x at DDR400. a link to a review of this ram follows the newegg link.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141-138&depa=1

Ram review:

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/memory/PQI_Turbo_PC4000_1.html

This is the "original" PQI PC3200 which is the subject of the big thread (about $245 shipped).

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141-148&depa=1

far far away said:
so you mean my 3200+ is crap?

I doubt the mem controller on it is that bad.

Your sig says NF7-S. Not being able to do 240, 2x512 there is understandable. But I understand the board in question is a Neo2 Plat?

If you have the old -5B Cs, try running the most relaxed timings of 3-3-3-8. How far do you get? With 2.85 volts, I imagine 240-250 at best, 1:1, 1T. Try 3-2-3-5 or 3-3-2-5 (I forget which one needs to stay at CAS3). You should be able to maintain fsb. Play around with LDT; I found some ram only likes 3x and won't complete boot at 1-2x!

The best you will be able to do with the old -5B Cs are 3-2-3-5, limited to 2.8 to 2.85 volts. Take my word for it; I tried my Buffalo PC3200 stuff on a LOT of boards.

On the Neo2 Plat you could always run the divider if your ram tops out at 240, but you do seem to lose performance.

my buffalo sticks do 243Mhz (166 divider) with any timings, but they don't go above 243Mhz, no matter which timings! 1:1 they don't go further than 203Mhz with any timings! so there is something "crappy" in my system, i think it's my motherboard!
because i also tested them on an A64 (S754) system and i could do with them about 220Mhz 1:1 with tight timings (i tested only with superpi)!

another qustion:
which bios is best for these buffalo sticks and MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum?

far far away said:
my buffalo sticks do 243Mhz (166 divider) with any timings, but they don't go above 243Mhz, no matter which timings! 1:1 they don't go further than 203Mhz with any timings! so there is something "crappy" in my system, i think it's my motherboard!
because i also tested them on an A64 (S754) system and i could do with them about 220Mhz 1:1 with tight timings (i tested only with superpi)!

another qustion:
which bios is best for these buffalo sticks and MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum?

I just noticed your sig: Buffalo PC3700. Aha! Remember those sticks have issues, and a lot of guys can't get 233, 1:1 even. That's probably your problem. The issue is documented in that massive Buffalo -5B C thread. I'm using the original Buffalo PC3200 that Newegg had before they sold out. These sticks will run 233, 3-3-3-6 at 2.6 volts. I've had them up to 255-260 on the P4C800-D with >2.85 volts, 3-2-3-5.

I've not tried many BIOSs for the Plat. I just use the official 1.3. The board definitely calms down with TCCD or Ballistix ram in there. Ballistix is simply -5B Gs.

Back