• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Micron Releases Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR3 1333MHz Memory Modules - PR Soon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AuDioFreaK39

Registered
mainta2.jpg

A month ago, I gave confirmation that Micron was going to be releasing Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR3 1333MHz memory modules within the month:
August 12, 2008 - Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR3 Memory Modules to Debut Later this Month

I have now received confirmation, and have verified on Crucial's website, that the DDR3 1333MHz Ballistix Tracer modules have been released. The following configurations have been listed thus far, with an official press release to follow very shortly:

Package: Ballistix Tracer 240-pin DIMM (with LEDs)
Feature: DDR3 PC3-10600
Specs: DDR3 PC3-10600 • 6-6-6-20 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1333 • 1.8V

4GB Kit (2GB x 2)
2GB Kit (1GB x 2)
2GB standalone
1GB standalone

5714-CrucialBallistixTracerkit.jpg

http://www.crucial.com/store/listmodule/DDR3/~Ballistix Tracer 240-pin DIMM (with LEDs)~/list.html

ballistixtracerddr3rb0.png

The only concern I have thus far is if these will run on Nehalem motherboards. Even though Intel has stated that the memory multipliers will remain unlocked on all Core i7 processors, I believe the "memory must be less than 1.65v" rule is still in place, no? Perhaps Micron is working on Nehalem-optimized modules as well, as the email states "[they] will be introducing other Tracer modules throughout the rest of the year." ;)

Last edited:
The info on Nehalem is a bit sketchy yet even for those who have them in possession and workers at MB MFGs. You should wait till some MB and BIOS releases and some retail testing to see what the situation is. ATM, nothing realistic on such a subject is known apart from the fact that there are more limitations and quirks in place than previously. Each MB MFG will mod the BIOSes differently on their own and hence allow differing options.

Thanks but what exact IC's are these using? D9GTR? :)

Dang those are some nice timings. Like KTE said Nehalem is still a big unknown. It seems the only known is that its a whole new ballgame and we are going to have to learn a few new tricks.

Ever since their D9 chips that die every couple months, they will have to earn my trust back from this company. Most of us want RELIABLE chips.

Ever since their D9 chips that die every couple months, they will have to earn my trust back from this company. Most of us want RELIABLE chips.

My D9 DDR2-800 Ballistix are still going strong after over a year. (* knocks on wood)

Micron releases D9's and everybody loves them b/c they OC so well.

People start reporting that their D9's have failed.

Crucial changes the chips in their Ballistix line.

People are still unhappy b/c now they can't get their RAM to OC as well anymore. :confused:

At any rate these are DDR3, and I haven't heard any reports of DDR3 dieing more than usual. I'm sure other companies use Micron chips as well.

Your D9 could've died for many reasons. Biggest killer: ASUS motherboards. ;)

There was a wave during 2002/2003 period which prompted people to start caring about the power supply to your system. Well, the first thing you should check on any MB now you get is its power sections. Lower-end boards are very consistently overvolting with poor regulation with poorer transformation efficiencies. In the end, the comprimisations they make means a dirtier line (ripple), large transients, negative and positive overshoots, large heat and large overvolting all of which are the biggest killers of IC hardware and instability. It also means most of your hardware will at stock run out of spec and pull higher power. Thats especially true with "budget MBs" that skimp on decent SMDs.

D9GMH were sensitive to voltage regulation, transients and heat, thats why most of them died as RAM MFGs would advise. I still have 2 pairs of Crucial D9GMH ticking along perfectly since Oct-Nov '07 used on many MBs and even up to 2.9v for about an hour under load (not advised - was just testing the false rumor of K10 dying with plus 2.1v vDIMM).

Back