• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MicroSoft Freebees

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I haven't received that email yet. The guys that got that email, was it time for your rewards to be shipped?

Amazon.com, AT&T Wireless, Barnes & Noble.com, Best Buy, Buy.com, CDW Computer Centers, Circuit City, CompUSA, Costco Wholesale Inc., D&H Distributing, Datavision, Dell, Fry's Electronics, Gamestop/Software Etc, Ingram Micro Corp., Insight Direct, J&R Computers, Kmart, LetsTalk.com, Microcenter, MicroWarehouse, MobilePlanet, Motorola, Nebraska Furniture Mart, Office Depot, Office Max, PC Connection, PC Mall, PC Richards & Sons, Radio Shack, RCS, Sears, Shop Toshiba, Shopping.com, Shopping4Sure.com, Smart, Software and More, Software City East, Software Etc, Solutions4Sure.com, Sprint, Staples, Target, Tech Data Corp, TechData, The Wiz, TigerDirect, T-Mobile, Ultimate Electronics, Verizon Wireless, Virgin Megastore, Wal-Mart, Zones

I don't know if anyone has the right to whine over this list. Easily more than twice the size of the other online training sites.

I mean, c'mon... Kmart! Nebraska Furniture Mart? Something just ain't right there...

Everyone knows M$ has three of these training sites, not just one, right?

gustav said:
The only reason they have your own business option is for people who sell these microsoft products in their own business. What would be the point of training someone on microsoft products if they have their own jewelry or dog breeding business? If your business is involved in selling any of the products that you took training for, then by all means your qualified.

Its a hardware consulting firm, and yes I do sell Microsofts products as well as many others. So therefor, even though I am not on that list, I ligitimatly could justify training on this.

fastcuda said:
Umm, I think this should be for future, not current done deals, screwed by bill gates again, I used my own company name and didnt try to fraud them at all, and have worked for some of those companies in the past, the web site was a set up like cops dressed like hookers on a corner.

Well said. I don't feel like I lied in any way shape or form. They have your own business option and thats what I used. I've also worked for several of the companies mentioned. Plus, it seemed clear that if you could register you could do the training, and if you did the training you received the incentives. Well, I did the training!!

...and honestly, who that works at one of these companies or not, is going to get something notorized for a lousy mouse or other low cost incentive!!!!
This is absolutely ridiculous!!!! Plus I got this email in my "bulk" folder... Just seems like they really wanted to slither their way out of this one. :mad:

Its a hardware consulting firm, and yes I do sell Microsofts products as well as many others. So therefor, even though I am not on that list, I ligitimatly could justify training on this.

Then fill out the form, have it notorized, and send it in. If you're legit, there's no reason they should deny you.

Umm, I think this should be for future, not current done deals, screwed by bill gates again, I used my own company name and didnt try to fraud them at all, and have worked for some of those companies in the past, the web site was a set up like cops dressed like hookers on a corner.

Right from the training home page:

*This site was developed specifically for use by retail sales professionals who sell Windows Mobile devices at a retail location.

That disclaimer was there when I signed up... last September.

Bill didn't screw you, you screwed yourself. You knew what the site was for, and tried to take advantage of it anyways, knowing you weren't eligible. And you got caught. Don't blame others for your poor judgement.

...and honestly, who that works at one of these companies or not, is going to get something notorized for a lousy mouse or other low cost incentive!!!!

I sure would. A two mile drive and a notary fee is a lot cheaper than a copy of Office Pro. Had I been a little more attentative, I could've scored a copy of Visual Studio as well.

Don't personally attack me dr slinky

DrSlinky said:
Then fill out the form, have it notorized, and send it in. If you're legit, there's no reason they should deny you.

Right from the training home page:

*This site was developed specifically for use by retail sales professionals who sell Windows Mobile devices at a retail location.

That disclaimer was there when I signed up... last September.

Bill didn't screw you, you screwed yourself. You knew what the site was for, and tried to take advantage of it anyways, knowing you weren't eligible. And you got caught. Don't blame others for your poor judgement.

I sure would. A two mile drive and a notary fee is a lot cheaper than a copy of Office Pro. Had I been a little more attentative, I could've scored a copy of Visual Studio as well.

He who judges others..... you dont know me or my situation and I will not try to justify myself to you, if there were other criteria, then bill gates should have stated them before he had us train on his crappy website for free, period!

fastcuda said:
He who judges others..... you dont know me or my situation and I will not try to justify myself to you, if there were other criteria, then bill gates should have stated them before he had us train on his crappy website for free, period!

"(To receive any prizes or rewards, you may need to provide proof of employment.) "

That was on the 4th page of the sign up. It's stated right on top of the form you had to fill out to start training. No excuses.

" You must accept the Terms of Use to complete your registration.

By accepting these Terms of Use, you certify that you are a retail sales professional who sells Windows Mobile devices at a retail location. "

I won't even bother going into the ToU, because the second line says more than enough. Right above the checkbox you had to click on to proceed, you're given required participant criteria.
- Retail Sales Associate - if you're not a sales person, you get nada.
- Windows Mobile Devices - you need to sell products with WinCE.
- Retail Location - Once again, you need to work in a retail store.

You and your situation are completely irrelevant. If you don't meet those criteria, you're not eligible. You lied, clicked the box anyways, and feel Microsoft still owes you something? Not likely.

Reality check. Bill Gates has nothing to do with this program. It's quite probably that he doesn't even know it exists. If you had a legitimate gripe, and you don't, it would be with the suit in middle management whose name we'll probably never know.

Dr Slinky, back off dude

Well, since I am a real estate Broker, I am a sales professional, and since I use and talk about windows mobile devices, I sell them (90% of all sales are by word of mouth), and my retail sales location is all over, thus the reason we need windows mobile devices. And since their website accepted my real estate brokerages name on signup, I deserve the prizes. I just sent microsoft a letter stating that and I deserve my awards since they accepted my sign up. As a real estate broker, I attend a lot of training seminars and such and receive a lot of gifts but this is the first time ever someone had me do the training and then asked me for better credentials afterwards to receive the awards.

So whats your point? Are you trying to justify microsofts website taking peoples time away from them without supplying the carrots that were waved under our noses?

Well, since I am a real estate Broker, I am a sales professional, and since I use and talk about windows mobile devices, I sell them (90% of all sales are by word of mouth),
You may reccomend the Windows Mobile product. Retail sales involves selling large quantities of product directly to the purchaser. You can spend 3 months telling someone why they should buy a particuliar PDA, but until you work in a retail location, providing the product to the consumer, you're just advising. Generally, retail outlets purchase from a distributor. If you were to buy a dozen PDAs, and sell them to friends or clients, you'd be considered a reseller.

By your logic, if I find a house I like, then convince the mrs. that it's the one she wants, I'm the one who sold the house. Would you still agree with that statement when it comes time to pay commision to the seller?

and my retail sales location is all over, thus the reason we need windows mobile devices.

Ok, I'll be lenient and let you claim your location is "all over," though I doubt any online training site would be so forgiving. What product are you selling to the customer? Land and buildings? Only if the deeds are in your name. If you're selling someone else's property, now you're performing a service.

Your need to obtain and use these mobile devices doesn't make you a retailer. It makes you the consumer.

I just sent microsoft a letter stating that and I deserve my awards since they accepted my sign up.

Obviously, they didn't accept your sign up. It appears that they did you the courtesy of allowing you to get a head start on the program, while they verified your employment, on the grounds that you agreed to their Terms of Useage. If you lied, or stretched the truth, about your position as a windows mobile retail sales associate, you violated the terms agreed upon, nullifying the contract, and freeing Microsoft from any obligations they had to you. Despite the fact they're largely considered a joke and rarely read, EULAs, TOSs, TOUs, etc., are considered legally binding contracts in this country.

I attend a lot of training seminars and such and receive a lot of gifts but this is the first time ever someone had me do the training and then asked me for better credentials afterwards to receive the awards.

And I sneak, or lie, my way into one of these seminars, despite the fact I have no legitimate reason to be there, should I expect to be paid for my training or recieve the complimentary gifts? No, as soon as they caught me, they'd toss me out real fast, with no compensation. Had I continued the ruse long enough to recieve said gift, the organizers would have the legal right to charge me with theft under false pretenses.

And nobody had you do a thing. You undertook the training of your own free will.

So whats your point? Are you trying to justify microsofts website taking peoples time away from them without supplying the carrots that were waved under our noses?

Microsoft has more a right to complain about the bandwidth you consume than you have about your lost time. Both were lost, and both due to your own chosen actions, misguided as they may have been.

As far as the point, I think gustav stated it pretty nicely in post #316. You tried to scam Microsoft, and got caught. Bill Gates didn't screw you, you screwed yourself. You deserve nothing, and have about as much right to complain as a kid who gets stung while poking a wasps' nest with a stick.

And if you want some sort of incentive for dealing with Walmart's poorly trained staff, you'll probably have better luck getting it from Walmart than Microsoft.

Dr Slinky, you just dont get it

I signed up in good faith and took this training, I think you need to take a class in business ethics, and quit trying to say I was trying to scam someone unless you have proof, because that was not my intention.

Of course Dr Slinky, you are so much better than everyone else that every ad banner or junk mail you click on that says free you justify that after clicking 35 of them and then not getting anything free it was justified because at the end page it was clearly stated. Or your so good at reading fine print that you never get scammed.

And of course you are the self proclaimed expert in accusing people of trying to scam someone for something free without a trial, because you are just so bitchin dude. :argue:

If this thread goes anymore south, I wouldn't doubt that it will be closed.

Why argue about it? This training is meant for sales people at Best Buy or Circuit City or at some other store. They need to know what these products from microsoft are and what they do, and which one is right for which person. Someone who has their own business doing this or that, but tell their customers or people they meet that such and such a product is good and they should buy it, doesn't mean they are a retailer. The whole point of offering to put in your own company's name is if you have a business in which does the same thing Best Buy or Circuit City does. Do you buy PDA's in bulk and sell them directly to the customer? I doubt it. 99% of the people who responded to this thread were just looking for freebies, in fact the thread title isn't even correct. These aren't freebies that you get for doing this training. Its an incentive for people to learn about the products they sell, so that they can inform the customer more on the said product which gets them and microsoft more money. 99%, if not all the people here were just looking for some free stuff. Thats cool, but this program isn't the way to get it. I thought it would be cool too, but now that microsoft is actually asking for job verification, I'm not going to claim a thing because I'll admit, I lied. They have every right to do this to you. You don't sell the products directly, you may recommend them, but thats not selling them. Selling them involves buying the products, and selling them to customers. I doubt that many people do that here. Quit complaining, you should have read the agreement.

Sorry gustav, I just tend to get a bit overprotective of the one fringe benefit we get for working at those horrid jobs. But I think you summed the program up perfectly.

Although, now that I think of it, this would make a nice topic for my business ethics class. I'll see what the class thinks on Wednesday.

I just wanted a swiss army knife... that's all I wanted Microsoft!!! god d*** yoooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!

oh well.

PLOBBY said:
i got myself a flight sim and optical mouse :)

LOL my guess is....he just signed up, compelted training and PICKED out his flight sim and optical mouse....i dont think he actually recieved it.

Back