• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mini ITX Air Cooling Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joncollin81

Hi there,

I have just ordered and partially assembled the following Mini ITX based system-
Case: Bitfenix Prodigy
CPU: Core i5-4670K (Retail including stock cooler)
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI
RAM: TeamGroup Vulcan Gold 8GB (2x4) DDR3 PC3-17100C11 2133MHz
CPU Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 120M
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX660 WindForce 2X OC
PSU: Silverstone Strider ST55F-G
SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB

The issue I have is entirely my own fault for not doing enough research before ordering the above kit and it relates to the close proximity between the CPU and PCI-E sockets (I didn't even consider this :eek:). The size of the CPU Cooler prevents it from being installed facing the front/back of the case (otherwise it blocks the PCI-E socket), and the only installation option therefore is to mount it facing either side of the case. This would either mean that the air would blow towards the back of the GPU, or towards the solid side panel with no airholes. This would also result in a contrary airflow direction to the front/back flow from the front/back case fans.

The question I have is as follows-
Is it worth using this CPU Cooler even if the airflow directions are not optimal, as opposed to just using the stock Intel cooler? I would like to be able to use it if possible, but if it is not going to give me any CPU cooling benefits then it doesn't seem worth it.

Appreciate any help/guidance you folks can give :)

How much space is there between fan and GPU?
I would think it would cool better than stock cooler assuming there is 20mm clearance between GPU & fan and you have front intake fan/fans and rear exhaust fan.

Option may be to return cooler and get a Macho 120 or Macho Rev.A and put fan on the side so it's blowing toward the back of case.. assuming your RAM not too tall; 40mm for Macho 120 and 50mm for Macho Rev.A Thermalright website has cooler measurements. ;)
Macho 120
http://www.thermalright.com/html/products/cpu_cooler/macho120.html?panel=1

Macho Rev.A
http://www.thermalright.com/html/products/cpu_cooler/hr-02_macho_reva.html?panel=1

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm not sure how much space there is- I will check later when I get home. On the assumption that there is more than 20mm clearance, if I want to persevere with the True Spirit 120 should I have the TS120 fan blowing towards the GPU, or towards the side of the case? I would prefer to try one of these options first- if the case/CPU temps are too high then I will try another cooler instead. The ones you suggested look good- I also noticed that Thermalright do a True Spirit 90 which is even more compact.

For better cooler intake clearance mount the fan on right side of cooler pulling air from cooler fan to draw air out of cooler.. and possible use pieces of cardboard as dividers between GPU and left side of cooler toward back of cooler/case and between front of cooler (by RAM) and right side of case to separate the cool air coming in front from hot air going out back. Airflow from front toward GPU and turning into TS120M intake > through cooler > fan > turning toward back of case > out back exhaust.

I'm not sure the TS90 would be enough... and 90mm fan would be louder.

Just wanted to give a quick update:
I finally got around to finishing the build last weekend, and installed the cooler sideways with the fan mounted on the right side and pulling air through the heatsink as discussed. I had one more space issue which I hadn't foreseen where the edge of the heatsink blocks the internal Blu-Ray drive so I had to move the Blu-Ray drive forward slightly and it now protrudes from the front of the case by an inch which is annoying!

In terms of the CPU core temps, they are touching 70 degrees under full load (Prime95 stress test), and 40 degrees when idle. Taking the ambient temperature into account, these equate to deltas of around 45 degrees and 15 degrees. Do these sound like reasonable temperatures?

I did consider getting a Hydro H80 integrated water cooling unit from Overclockers UK because they have heavily discounted (half-price) manufacturer refurbished models available- I like the idea that the H80 would result in better temps and a much neater case with better airflow. The only con I can see is that they only have 90 day manufacturers guarantee instead of the usual 5 years- for a new PC build this seems a bit risky. What do you think about this option?

I think the H80 is an accident waiting to happen. :D

you have the TS120 now? What is the fan running rpm wise?

Temps are not bad. Like you said the ambient is a little higher than normal. But 15c means your ambient is 25? I would expect about 10c delta.

We need to find out what the air temps are inside of case.. like on intake of cooler. I'm thinking your GTX 660 may be heating the air going to TS120M.

I find a cheap indoor/outdoor thermometer with remote probe is a handy tool for checking temps inside of case. Twist a piece of stiff insulated wire into last 20cm to position probe in airflow going into coolers or anywhere else you want to check the temperature. I like to see case temp no more than 2-4c above room under max load.. the lower the better. Remember, every degree hotter the intake air is translates into a degree hotter the CPU/GPU will be. ;)
KGrHqZjoE5fDK4NenBOhVnlQBYw60_35_zpscfa4a300.jpg 1280888924634_hz-fileserver1_272621_zps28d1d990.jpg

Back