• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MKV joiner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neuromancer

GOing through my DVD rip library.. I have about 4 movies that I have split into CD size pieces by accident.

Does anyone know of a good program to join these effectively, so I do not have to rerip and encode?

I tried mkvmerge and it messed up the audio.

Only other alternatives I have seen is to join and convert to AVI, it would be almost as fast to just reip at that point.

Thanks

EDIT: I am looking to join MKV files

Last edited:
Sorry, I put it in the thread title, but forgotto put it into the post

I am looking to merge MKV files. (I encoded to MKV for quality/compression)

EDIT: Looked at Virtualdub, nice freeware app I suppose, not nearly enough for modern encoding however :(

I use AnyDVD and Handbrake right now for generating my DVDRIP library. Something I used before defaulted to 700MB pieces, (maybe it was handbrake?), and rather than rerip them I just want to make one file out of them. I just want to join them into a single file for my HTPC.

Last edited:
I've used VirtualDub for many things and it's actually pretty fast and supports mkv IIRC

IMO its the best freeware/opensource video editor/encoder out there

I've used VirtualDub for many things and it's actually pretty fast and supports mkv IIRC

IMO its the best freeware/opensource video editor/encoder out there

Cool I will take another look the home page it supported AVI and mpeg 1 :S

I find it surprising that there is no real MKV joiner out there. I had AVI files that I could join in under a minute with... I think it was called AVI Joiner.

Bummer

When I tried mkvmerge.

It worked for video... however it started the main audio track but at the same time started playing another audio track... and it was not hte beginning of pt 2 either. Very strange.

Also WMP said that it did not have the audio codec for it, although it played audio...

I've never merged MKV's so may be this is half-assed but you could use MeGUI to convert them to AVI's, then VirtualDub to merge and then MKV Merge to get the final joined video back to MKV. All w/o re-encoding so no PQ loss. Seems convoluted but it will probably take 15-20min per 2hr/movie in all and is hell of a lot faster than re-ripping the DVD again with Handbrake or alike.

I think that is what i used, but called it MKV Merge, it busted the audio. I will lookinto it a bit ore and give it another go though when I get home

I've never merged MKV's so may be this is half-assed but you could use MeGUI to convert them to AVI's, then VirtualDub to merge and then MKV Merge to get the final joined video back to MKV. All w/o re-encoding so no PQ loss. Seems convoluted but it will probably take 15-20min per 2hr/movie in all and is hell of a lot faster than re-ripping the DVD again with Handbrake or alike.

If I had to do all that I would just rerip the DVDs. *sigh* looks like I might not have an option :cry:

When i try to do the same thing, this error shows up:
Error: The track number 1 from the file 'C:\Users\UNKNOWN\Desktop\Ending.mkv' cannot be appended to the track number 1 from the file 'C:\Users\UNKNOWN\Desktop\Opening.mkv'. The track parameters do not match.

What should i do? Avi-Mux GUI doesn't work too. It gave me a output file like the first file i wanted to merge to.

Thanks in advance!

P.S: Why can't i edit appended files in "Tracks, chapters and tags" window?

That error happens when i tried to merge MKV files. When i tried to merge extracted files (.H264 video and 3 AAC audios), it shows the same error, including this one:

Warning: AAC files may contain HE-AAC / AAC+ / SBR AAC audio. This can NOT be detected automatically. Therefore you have to specifiy '--aac-is-sbr 0' manually for this input file if the file actually contains SBR AAC. The file will be muxed in the WRONG way otherwise. Also read mkvmerge's documentation.

I forgot to tell you that i wanted to merge three files, opening theme, episode, and the ending theme. I've got only episode, so i splitted opening and ending part from another episode which has it with splitting option in the program.

I've just realized that resolution has to be the same for all the three videos (Avi-Mux show me an error), so i've tried to change it with MKVMerge, but it doesn't work. I guess that because MKVMerge only sets an option for players to read those resolutions, not affecting the actual video file (.H264).
Now i need to know how to change the actual video resolution of .H264 file?

Thanks in advance!

YOu can try to use this program but I dont think it is free, 4videosoft mkv converter. You can just put all the mkv files in that converter and set all of them with the same everything. Convert them all with all the same attributes and see if that works.

You may also try iDealshare VideoGo to join MKV files into one on Mac or Windows

It also helps to:

Join video files of any format like merge MP4, AVI, MPEG, MPG, VOB, MOV, RM, RMVB, 3GP, ASF, WMV, WTV, DVR, DivX, Xvid, M4V, MKV, FLV, F4V, SWF, WebM, OGV, Apple ProRes, AVCHD, MTS, M2TS, M2T, MXF, MVI, DAT, MOD, TOD, MPV, OGM and etc

Merge audio files like join MP3, WAV, WMA, M4A, FLAC, M4B, AAC, AC3, APE, AIFF, Apple Lossless ALAC, VOC, QCP, AMR, AWB, DTS, AU, RA, OGG and more.

Back