• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How come no one uses a cd-rom when water cooling? and rads...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TransformedBG

I have been looking long and hard for anyone that uses a CD-Rom on a PC that is water cooled. I get that you can install almost everything VIA usb. But i rip music, movies, etc and need at least one. I mean i guess one solution would be to use an external CD rom, but i like the idea of having one internal. Then i was thiking well why not use a SFF (small form factor) CD/DVD rom and kind of do a custom front to the pc, but then im not a professional modder so i dont know if actually do that. Im just getting in to water cooling im going to give it a go. So im looking for a good case to start with, and using the rule of thumb of at least a 240mm rad for each part i want to OC (CPU, GPU) that would be about 1 480... granted i was thinking well that could just be min and i dont know how much overhead that would give me.. I mean the way i see it i could get a case that i could run 2 480s and have over kill, but i guess more wouldnt hurt? not sure...

I have a BD drive in my liquid cooled system.

attachment.php

Case choice and careful planning are important for a good LC build.

Theres no such thing as too much radiator space, but there is a point where it does become kind of silly to add more.

:rofl:

Let me clairify, the BlueRay is current, I'm old school. My first computer had a cassette tape to load programs.
:salute:

I still install cd/dvd drives in a lot of my water cooled rigs but, I have to admit that they just add more to the wiring rats nest.

I still install cd/dvd drives in a lot of my water cooled rigs but, I have to admit that they just add more to the wiring rats nest.

i kind of figured that. i just noted a lot of case's that even offer water cooling support no longer even offer bays. but im glad to see people actually use them.

Lack of ODD bays is a trend across all cases not just H2O compatible cases. Look at all the mITX where there is next to no chance of water cooling and they're missing ODD bays too.

I have 2 cases that have no 5.25 bays, for those I use a usb optial drive, I'm kind of glad to see them going the way of the doe doe, they are ugly but, on the other hand I have games so old that optical is the only way to install them.

It would definitely be easy to build in without having to take tools to it. A bit oversized in my opinion, but I simply prefer smaller cases even if they are harder to work with.

CD's? Movies on DVD and Blu-Ray? Why? Apple, Amazon, Roku, and many others. Shoot, my 2015 Chrysler radio has no CD player in it, but it does have 2 USB ports and bluetooth. I have 30,000 songs sitting in the cloud.

Because my CD player sounds way better than my computer, by a huge margin. Not even in the same ballpark. Hell, not even the same sport. And I like owning physical media. Storage drives fail often enough to spur debate over who makes the most reliable drives. And if I don't have internet I can still pop in my copy of Heavy Metal. And I don't use the cloud, even if computer audio didn't sound similar to a bag of cats in the dryer.

Vinyl isn't dead, either. LOL

Back