• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo and RAM for i7-4790K? I'm not OC'ing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blahcomp222

Registered
I'm set on an i7-4790K. But I'm not going to OC it, therefore the stock cooler will do, and I don't even need a suped up mobo to allow OC'ing. Only thing I require is that the mobo has no wireless internet components, although I can disable that, I'd rather it's just not there. And I want it to have USB 3.0.

I need matching 16GB RAM.

I already have the SSD drive, 4 fan case, optical drive, 1GB RADEON HD770 GPU, Antec BP550 Plus 550W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

Budget is cheapest but not too cheap, I don't want crap but I don't want more than I need. I'm buying used on eBay.

Asus z97a mobo and some gskill ripjaws 1866 cl9 2x8gb. What will the build be used for? Also asrock extreme 6 is a great board as well. Along with the gigabyte gaming 5 board.

Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

Why would you make another thread asking the EXACT same thing, especially when getting responses on your other thread? Hard to take you seriously when you're consistently asking the same thing and doing nothing about it. If you're gonna take someone elses advice and ignore everything here, why bother posting at all?

^ because the other thread got long but helped me choose the CPU at least. People see a long thread and skip it instead of reading the whole thing and then give a suggestion. I'm asking for just mobo and RAM.
rayray, it's for HD video editing (I'll need software I'm told), DAW music production software, some gaming, no Overclocking though.

Only thing I require is that the mobo has no wireless internet components, although I can disable that, I'd rather it's just not there. And I want it to have USB 3.0.

I saw in your other thread that you are worried about the radio waves from 802.11 and bluetooth but honestly, they're nearly as bad as using a microwave oven, or a cell phone. I don't think there's really anything to worry about. Wi-Fi and bluetooth can be very useful. You should embrace them. :)

Look at a 2X8GB RAM kit from Gskill, Corsair, Team, AData, AMDm Kingston. 1600-2400Mhz. Make sure it hasn't got "tall" heatspreaders though, as that can interfere with future aftermarket coolers.

Although you can run the 4790K on a stock cooler, I wouldn't do that. It does get very hot. I'd look at a Cooler Master Hyper 212 personally.

Board wise I like the ASRock Z97 Extreme 6. You can have it for $145 after rebate right now. It's feature set is unmatched for the money.

That way you're all kitted out for overclocking, which we will convince you to do if you hang around long enough. That and embracing wireless.

Having said that, buying used on Ebay? No. CPU? Yes, if you trust the seller. But motherboard? Ram? No. A CPU is hard to kill, a motherboard is particularly easy to kill. And if you buy used, 99% of the time you will have no warranty. If you want to save some coin on the CPU, buy it used on Ebay. Make sure you trust the seller and that the CPU hasn't been crazy over volted. The mobo and RAM, though, I think you should get from someone like Amazon. Not "John Doe" on Amazon, Amazon themselves.

^ I'm only anti wireless because I'm afraid it's easier to be accidentally turned on or hacked on or something, just would always be in the back of my mind, not that I'm doing anything shady on my computer but, you know.

All three threads on different forums are also saying get the Z97 mobo, but of course a Z97 isn't always a Z97 apparently because GIGABYTE GA-Z97-HD3 $87.99 after a $20 rebate

I just want the one without wireless, and I don't even need to OC, so I think I'll get the cheaper board.

I'm was thinking a used mobo isn't as risky as a used CPU if both were OC'd incorrectly by the previous owner. I'm getting a New CPU because of that but now I'm thinking either should get a new mobo also or just get used for both - because I'm thinking I'd be better off just always buying used stuff, in two three years, I'll want to buy an even better used rig when prices drop and over tiem will save thousands buying used risking it. Some used sellers are pretty convincing that they never OC'd it or did it by the books though, so I might just risk all used. I found the 4790K new for only like $20 more than used though, so that's a no brainer except it has no 3 year warranty but I should be fine, I never like purchase extra warranty for power tools or anything.

^ I'm only anti wireless because I'm afraid it's easier to be accidentally turned on or hacked on or something, just would always be in the back of my mind, not that I'm doing anything shady on my computer but, you know.

All three threads on different forums are also saying get the Z97 mobo, but of course a Z97 isn't always a Z97 apparently because GIGABYTE GA-Z97-HD3 $87.99 after a $20 rebate

I just want the one without wireless, and I don't even need to OC, so I think I'll get the cheaper board.

I'm was thinking a used mobo isn't as risky as a used CPU if both were OC'd incorrectly by the previous owner. I'm getting a New CPU because of that but now I'm thinking either should get a new mobo also or just get used for both - because I'm thinking I'd be better off just always buying used stuff, in two three years, I'll want to buy an even better used rig when prices drop and over tiem will save thousands buying used risking it. Some used sellers are pretty convincing that they never OC'd it or did it by the books though, so I might just risk all used. I found the 4790K new for only like $20 more than used though, so that's a no brainer except it has no 3 year warranty but I should be fine, I never like purchase extra warranty for power tools or anything.

Don't buy a used motherboard. All I can do is warn you.
Do you want the most fundamental backbone component of your computer to not have a warranty? Do you really want the most time consuming component to replace to be the most likely to fail? Don't buy use PSUs, don't buy used motherboards, don't buy used hard drives. Often times used GPU/CPU is a safe bet though.

It's like in aquariums, they say "Never buy a used heater". Why? Because it'll be old and possibly abused and if your heater gets stuck in "On" it'll barbecue your aquarium inhabitants.

The cheapest Z97 motherboard that I consider decent, personally, is the ASRock Z97 Extreme 3. You can find it for $100-110 USD usually. PCPartpicker will give you the lowest price.

Aite here are 4 boards I was recommended from 3 threads on 3 forums. Get which? I just want to make sure that the suggested one has no wireless, no wireless internet. If I can OC better with one than the other only means about %10 to me. I more than likely will just buy something more powerful than my i7-4790K in about 3 years when prices drop on a better CPU and not OC that next one, but there's a %10 chance I'll upgrade my cooler and learn to OC the 4790K in the meantime.

And then I'll take a recommendation for matching 16GB RAM.

Many thanks once again.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157512

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0446076&PID=3865134&SID=i5xiwcabbr0004pn00053

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0446076&PID=6146836&SID=i5xixj9iad000a1700053

You paid a premium for a K CPU and are not going to overclock it...?

Anyway, ram is ram is ram for you. I first question why 16GB...but second, just grab 1866-2133MHz CL9 1.5v and call it a day. Brand does not really matter much, particularly for you/your uses.

Out of those four motherboards, any would be fine as you are not overclocking. Just pick one that has the features you need and the theme you want.

As far as multiple threads... its best to keep things all in one thread so duplicative efforts are not made and your information is easily found in one thread. AND you cross forum posted?!! Patience graahoppa.

^ well if I can find a 4790K new for ~ $275, I can't really go wrong not OCing it because the locked 4790 is around this same price and the 4790K is faster without OC'ing. The 4790 according to this chart is neck and neck with an FX-9590 and those benchmarks I would assume are at least %50 from people who tested with OC for CPUs that are OC'able.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

I calculated if I could save money OC'ing a 9590 vs the 4790K just to see since AMDs are pretty cheap but it only saves about $80 and that's if I buy a used sabertooth R2 but then I really should upgrade my PSU and would need a better cooler since the 9590 is a frying pan. But anyway, the 4790K is faster than the 4790 without OC'ing , and if the 4790 is neck and neck with 9590 benchmarks, then the 4790K is apparently faster than the 9590 even when the 9590 is OC'd and the 4790K isn't. 9590 vs 4790K when googled (cpu boss etc 1 on 1 comparison) shows the 4790K beats the 9590 by quite a bit so if not OC'ing the 4790K but still even OC'ing the 9590, then it should be pretty much even if not faster with a 4790k.

I'm surprised the 4790K doesn't rank higher than the 4790 instead of just an approx. %7 larger graph being that it's faster out of the box plus can be OC'd. There are thousands of samples for each CPU, you would think if someone's going to go through the time to upload to that site, they're at least %50 OC samples, but the 4790K is maybe %7 larger graph bar than the 4790. So either those OC tests aren't all maxed out or that OC'ing only gets you about %5 when not maxed out and pushing it with the best cooler. Not worth it to me. I'd also have to spend about $100 more for better mobo and cooler to OC 4790K and I'd rather take that $100 and buy an even better CPU than the 4790K and not OC that one. Thing is, there might not be a CPU right now that even fits that category because according to the charts, the 4790K is stuck in between a bunch of non-OCable Xeons and other OC'able CPUs but they cost like $600-$1,000 except for the Intel Core i7-5820K is about $50 more but it might be one of those CPUs that can really OC a good % because it says it's only 3.3ghz but is 6 cores. i7-5820K vs 4790K when you just google that, the 1 on 1 tests show them basically neck and neck anyway except for multicore, but then you need a pricier x99 mobo and the price goes up more to run the 5820K. So in two three years if my 4790K isn't fast enough, I just hope prices really come down for the ones that are currently ~$600 or that AMD or intel comes out with new stuff to fit the bill.
This is probably why the 4790K is very popular, if you check most frequently benchmarked CPUs chart, the 4790K is the most by about 2X more than the 8350 in second.

anyway, I got this mobo yesterday and now I'm gonna narrow down RAM choices.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0446076&PID=6146836&SID=i5zwb7oq7c000a1700053

Last edited:
Ram is ram is ram my man. Grab some DDR3 1.5v @ 1866-2133 CL9 that looks good and pull the trigger. ;)

That was a very poor motherboard choice. You could have had a vastly superior ASRock Extreme 3 for the same price. I don't like that 3+1 VRM on the board you picked. Low end Gigabyte is junk usually (IMO). Only ASRock actually delivers the goods in their low end boards. Hell, even their $60 B85 Anniversary has a nicer VRM setup than the board you picked up.

As Scarface would say "Why chu no take our advice meng?"

^ everyone said any of the 4 motherboards I linked together a few posts up would be fine if not OCing, wish someone would have said something before I bought it, I can cancel now though, anyone agree I should?
member name glc over here knows his stuff and said doesn't trust Asrock, not that that's what made me not choose it but just sayin.
http://forum.pcmech.com/showthread.php?p=1612275

I basically just compared newegg's specs for each and they all looked identical except small things like # of PCIe PCI slots etc, so I kind of just narrowed them down and ended up with that one. And it seemed like a good deal because the rebate.

this is the only comparison I could find with the board I got and the one you suggest,
http://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/compar...yte-ga-z97-hd3-rev-1-0-vs-asrock-z87-extreme3

I couldn't find mobo comparisons like they do with CPUs so I might have read it when I first narrowed down choices but made nothing of it. They rate the one I bought a 7.5 vs 7.6 the extreme 3 ASRock you suggest, same thing basically, no? It's slower the one I bought? I'm not overclocking

Last edited:
It is fine if you are not overclocking as we said earlier. Did someone mention otherwise? EDIT: I see now...

If you plan to, I would get something better. I mean, you paid for a K chip for its overclocking abilities (as its no different than any other CPU outside of that).

^ everyone said any of the 4 motherboards I linked together a few posts up would be fine if not OCing, wish someone would have said something before I bought it, I can cancel now though, anyone agree I should?
member name glc over here knows his stuff and said doesn't trust Asrock, not that that's what made me not choose it but just sayin.
http://forum.pcmech.com/showthread.php?p=1612275

I basically just compared newegg's specs for each and they all looked identical except small things like # of PCIe PCI slots etc, so I kind of just narrowed them down and ended up with that one. And it seemed like a good deal because the rebate.

this is the only comparison I could find with the board I got and the one you suggest,
http://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/compar...yte-ga-z97-hd3-rev-1-0-vs-asrock-z87-extreme3

I couldn't find mobo comparisons like they do with CPUs so I might have read it when I first narrowed down choices but made nothing of it. They rate the one I bought a 7.5 vs 7.6 the extreme 3 ASRock you suggest, same thing basically, no? It's slower the one I bought? I'm not overclocking

If ASRock are so unreliable, why are the top three boards on Tom'sHardware ASRock boards? Check it out-
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-intel-amd-motherboard,3902.html

Tom'sHardware is right up there with AnandTech as a highly trusted source for information about technology.

ASRock was bad, a long time ago. ASRock is still "meh" for AMD, with a few exceptions. But for Intel, for about 3 or 4 generations now, ASRock has been rock solid. I have 2 ASRock boards and I am happy with both of them.

This same person who is telling you not to trust ASRock, is telling you to trust ASUS, who are known for the worst customer service and warranty support in the industry hands down.

http://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/Z97P/

http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/Z97 Extreme3/index.asp?cat=

Dare to compare. 8 phase VRM vs 4 phase VRM. Nichikon electrolytic audio caps versus NO electrolytic audio caps, 12K caps throughout vs 5K caps throughout. 6 SATA 3 ports vs 4 SATA 3 ports. Intel LAN vs (Realtek?) LAN... The ONLY thing the ASUS board has over the ASRock board is M.2. Are you ever going to use M.2? I can't answer that question. But if you're not, the Extreme 3 is the clear winner.

If you want to jump up a few bucks you can get the Extreme 4 which gives you even more. I would definitely buy ASRock though. They have everyone else by the testes with this generation.

Here's an analogy. At the ~$110 level, ASRock is a classy restaurant in a bad neighborhood. Their portions are sizeable. ASUS is a classy restaurant in an average uninteresting neighborhood. Their portions are average. Gigabyte is a classy restaurant in a rich neighborhood. Their portions are tiny.

So, you're just getting takeout, and all three restaurants charge the same price for the Coq-Au-Vin you want to order, so which restaurant are you going to go to? ASRock Bros. Rotisserie and Grill. That's where. ;). Make sure you lock your car.

Last edited:
I have an external USB audio interface/soundcard http://www.rolandus.com/products/duo-capture/specifications/
so I don't think audio matters.
I'm not doing RAID or anything like that, I just have one SSD drive and that's it. Not sure if that matters or with the M.2

I threw the %10 chance of OC'ing out the window and won't do it. So after what I noted, is it worth canceling my order for the Extreme 3? If I were going to OC, I'd get the extreme 6 anyway.

The guy on the other forum when I pointed out I sort of took his advice over the extreme 3 recommendation, he didn't have much to back it up, "I do not trust the reliability of Asrock boards. They spec out nice, but do they last? History indicates that they do not.

I'll take that Gigabyte over anything Asrock makes, simply due to both company's comparative reliability records.

The other forum probably is populated by enthusiasts. This one is populated by conservative builders who place reliability above performance. That's why I said to stay away from used Ebay boards, regardless of what it is"

I realize the extreme 3 probably has a better resale value in 2-3 years if I upgrade but I'm not worried about that, not worth the hassle of canceling order. Plus I bought it from here which is like $1 more than newegg AFTER newegg's rebate, rebate can be a PITA and not worth it to me unless it's at least around $10 cheaper overall.
http://www.directron.com/gaz97hd3.html

I guess bottom line is im just asking if there's any performance difference if I'm not Ocing. Two posts above say no as do a couple others but oen post above seems to suggest that the extreme 3 would be better performance even if not OCing.

Back