• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo and RAM for i7-4790K? I'm not OC'ing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That guy doesn't have a clue about reliability of the boards. ;)

There wouldnt be a performance difference between the boards.

I have an external USB audio interface/soundcard http://www.rolandus.com/products/duo-capture/specifications/
so I don't think audio matters.
I'm not doing RAID or anything like that, I just have one SSD drive and that's it. Not sure if that matters or with the M.2

I threw the %10 chance of OC'ing out the window and won't do it. So after what I noted, is it worth canceling my order for the Extreme 3? If I were going to OC, I'd get the extreme 6 anyway.

The guy on the other forum when I pointed out I sort of took his advice over the extreme 3 recommendation, he didn't have much to back it up, "I do not trust the reliability of Asrock boards. They spec out nice, but do they last? History indicates that they do not.

I'll take that Gigabyte over anything Asrock makes, simply due to both company's comparative reliability records.

The other forum probably is populated by enthusiasts. This one is populated by conservative builders who place reliability above performance. That's why I said to stay away from used Ebay boards, regardless of what it is"

I realize the extreme 3 probably has a better resale value in 2-3 years if I upgrade but I'm not worried about that, not worth the hassle of canceling order. Plus I bought it from here which is like $1 more than newegg AFTER newegg's rebate, rebate can be a PITA and not worth it to me unless it's at least around $10 cheaper overall.
http://www.directron.com/gaz97hd3.html

I guess bottom line is im just asking if there's any performance difference if I'm not Ocing. Two posts above say no as do a couple others but oen post above seems to suggest that the extreme 3 would be better performance even if not OCing.

Better performance? No. Better components, yes.
You're confusing me. You just said you ordered the Ex 3 and should you cancel your order?? I thought you ordered a Gigabyte board.

Here's my opinion in a nutshell-
Yes, the guy on the other forum is correct, we are an enthusiast forum. We are not a conservative builder's forum, though we do often suggest conservative builds. I'm a little upset with the people on this other forum though, particularly your ASRock hating friend. They actually recommended a 3+1 phase board to you for overclocking an i7. Wow. I'm surprised nobody caught it when you listed the boards you were looking at here. Sometimes things fall through the cracks. We are not doing this professionally. We are enthusiasts providing a service to the community.

But yes, if you want the 4790K, go with, as a minumum, the Extreme 3, better yet, the Extreme 4, and even better the Extreme 6. You can also look at ASRock's Fatal1ty K1ller which is between the Ex3 and 4 price wise and has a snazzy red color.

Don't put a 4790K on a cheese board. And don't get a 4790K and not overclock it. Seriously. If you're going to do that, you might as well buy a 1231 Xeon @ 3.4Ghz for $235.
If you buy the 4790K, overclock it. I have no idea why people are afraid of overclocking. It must be a matter of ignorance, like in the 80s when people still thought toads were male frogs. Overclocking these chips is so easy, Intel actually put a commercial out showing a grandmother overclocking a CPU.

If Billy's grandmother can do it, you can to. Can you count? Can you type? You can overclock! It's free extra performance, dude.

You're confusing me. You just said you ordered the Ex 3 and should you cancel your order?? I thought you ordered a Gigabyte board.

I did buy this Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 and not the extreme 3.
http://www.directron.com/gaz97hd3.html

I'm okay with it since I'm not OCing. I probably would have bought the extreme 3 in hindsight for ~$15 more plus the rebate hassle but I think it's too late to cancel my order.

I hate asking so many questions and having almost nothing to add when others ask ?s but I'm stumped on choosing ram and would like an exact recommendation that yous agree on, I don't know what the I'm doing. I search for like DDR3 1.5v @ 1866-2133 CL9 or gskill ripjaws 1866 cl9 and there's all types I don't know what to look for. I don't really care how much, should be under $150 for 16GB.

What I've gathered from suggestions so far is
"any ddr3 kit will do. Try to get a dual kit for dual channel, G.Skill Ares for low profile ram. Or crucial ballistics or corsair vengeance.

just Grab some DDR3 1.5v @ 1866-2133 CL9

gskill ripjaws 1866 cl9"

and have these links for some reason

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231615

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0446076&PID=3865134&SID=i5z6b68nls0004pn00053

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0446076&PID=6146836&SID=i5z6amqoju000a1700053

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313427

Ready to be confused even more?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3325&cm_re=team_xtreem-_-20-313-325-_-Product

I'd go with that if I had to buy RAM for a Z97 system right now, assuming it worked with my cooling choice. This is fast RAM from a trustworthy brand at a low price. But, you need a cooler that'll clear it. Some larger air coolers will physically conflict with the tall heatspreaders on this Team Xtreem stuff. Yes it's 1.65V. The 1.5V limit is just an Intel recommendation, much like a yellow light is a recommendation to stop. I know of systems going back to Sandybridge that have been running 1.65V for 4 years now and they're fine.

If you want to make things easy, and have compatibility with all the large air heatsinks out there, I'd just go with the lowest profile RAM possible and save headaches. After all, tall heatspreaders are more for looks than cooling performance.

Something like this would be great for you
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...G_skill_ares_2133_16GB-_-20-231-659-_-Product

Decent price for 2133, decent CAS for 2133, decent voltage for 2133.

I guarantee you that adding 0.1V to your RAM voltage will have absolutely no adverse affect on your computer. If it does, I'll eat a sheep's brain and upload the video to youtube.

Don't worry about feeling like you have nothing to add when people ask you things. You're the one asking questions. You're not expected to have any answers :p.
You're head and shoulders above many. People come on here and go "I have $2000. I want a computer" and you have to coax the rest of the information out of them.

thank you. I'll go with the 1.5V. Googled something like "1.65 ram 1.5V" and found a lot of threads, the consensus is it can potentially damage CPU, voids warranty, but you can change settings in BIOS but I don't want to mess with BIOS.

thank you. I'll go with the 1.5V. Googled something like "1.65 ram 1.5V" and found a lot of threads, the consensus is it can potentially damage CPU, voids warranty, but you can change settings in BIOS but I don't want to mess with BIOS.

You don't want to mess with bios? So you're not going to set your XMP profile? That's sort of fundamental, man. The consensus on >>1.5V RAM, among the ignorant, is that it can damage the CPU, because most forums are populated by ignorant people and they claim you can damage the CPU by going up by .1V on the memory controller. Some of these dummies also claim you can damage the CPU by going up .1V on the vCore. The fact is, we have over 4 years of experience with these intel integrated memory controllers at 1.65V and there is no damage. And it doesn't void your warranty if you don't tell them about it. They don't know you've overclocked. Your settings are on your motherboard, not the CPU. They don't submit your CPU to a forensics lab when you RMA it.

All of the really high speed DDR3 kits out there are for Intel. And they're 1.65V. And they're safe. If it wasn't safe, they wouldn't make the kits. Think about it. Do you really think Intel wouldn't have sued these memory OEMs for putting out products that could damage their chips, causing mass RMAs and intel to Hemhorrage money?

Get the 2133 cas 10 1.6V stuff I linked you. Your CPU will work today, tomorrow, 10 years from now.
Or you can play it safe with the low profile ripjaws. It's up to you. But don't follow the sheep. It's a myth.

It won't damage the cpu. That's garbage. Trust me.

Just go 1.5v anyway.

But why?
If we know it's nonsense, why are we telling him to buy RAM that goes along with the nonsense? It's not like the 1.6-1.65V stuff is way more expensive. It's (almost free) extra speed. Will you notice it? Probably not, no. But it's free. Do it just cuzz. Do it for the E-Peen. That's JM2C

i read people on Tom's etc saying stuff like 1.65 means it's crappy ram that they ramped up to 1.65 Volts to make it faster
But why are you buying 1.65v memory anyways? That's usually indicative of cruddy manufacturing, at least if it's rated at speeds one commonly finds 1.5v memory for.

In this case I would get different ram There is NO need for 1600 MHz ram to EVER be over 1.5v the only reason that is 1.65v ram is that is it crap ram they are raising the volts on to get it stable. Find a 1.5v set and enjoy. Won't harm your system you're just getting inferior ram for the same price.

I completely agree with the above poster. Never buy ddr3 memory that needs over 1.5 volts to run its rated speed. Its poor quality memory

Though, Haswell has recommended voltage of 1.5v but you'll still be able to use this RAM on mobo and cpu without any problem. No issue there and as you are not overclocking so you are safe there.

You can order 1.5v RAM still you are ok with 1.65 v RAM. Choose whichever is comfortable for you. There is no issue in either selection

I still think I'd rather spend ~$25 more for 16GB (~$150 total) if it's 1.5 but better than that 1.65. I like the 1.5V low profile one also, not that I'm going to OC, but it would be easier to resell low profile RAM.

i read people on Tom's etc saying stuff like 1.65 means it's crappy ram that they ramped up to 1.65 Volts to make it faster
But why are you buying 1.65v memory anyways? That's usually indicative of cruddy manufacturing, at least if it's rated at speeds one commonly finds 1.5v memory for.

In this case I would get different ram There is NO need for 1600 MHz ram to EVER be over 1.5v the only reason that is 1.65v ram is that is it crap ram they are raising the volts on to get it stable. Find a 1.5v set and enjoy. Won't harm your system you're just getting inferior ram for the same price.

I completely agree with the above poster. Never buy ddr3 memory that needs over 1.5 volts to run its rated speed. Its poor quality memory

Though, Haswell has recommended voltage of 1.5v but you'll still be able to use this RAM on mobo and cpu without any problem. No issue there and as you are not overclocking so you are safe there.

You can order 1.5v RAM still you are ok with 1.65 v RAM. Choose whichever is comfortable for you. There is no issue in either selection

I still think I'd rather spend ~$25 more for 16GB (~$150 total) if it's 1.5 but better than that 1.65. I like the 1.5V low profile one also, not that I'm going to OC, but it would be easier to resell low profile RAM.

Read your first quote. That's usually indicative of cruddy manufacturing, at least if it's rated at speeds one commonly finds 1.5v memory for

1.5V RAM tops out at 1866, occasionally 2133. Everything over that tends to be 1.65V. Yes, 1600Mhz 1.65V RAM, in 2015, would be crappy. But originally all DDR3 1600MHZ was 1.65V. Advances have brought us 1.5 and 1.35V 1600Mhz sticks.

As we, and apparently some people on your other forum have said, 1.65V is perfectly safe.

I personally would want to get that 2400Mhz cas 10 Team Xtreem.

Ultimately the choice is yours. As long as it's RAM, and is not defective, and fits under your heatsink, you can use whatever you want. ;)

Last edited:
1.5-1.65v is fine OP. 1.65v is not cruddy. It DOES mean that for a given speed it needs more voltage to be stable. It doesn't make it any worse than 1.5v ram however. It uses a smidge more power and may run a tad warmer (but memory runs cool well past 1.65v).

For a single discrete gpu, 1866-2133Hz 1.5v cl9 is a sweet spot. More than that, to me, even if it is only $5 more, isn't worth it for negligible if any performance gains. If 1.65v 2133 is cheaper, get it. It won't matter in the least.

It's ram though..there shouldn't be this much discussion about some that matter so little in most cases. People make it more complicated than it really needs to be.

Back