• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo problem.. won't start

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

Hi guys. Ignore the last post, I replaced the heatsink. It was stuck on there pretty good but I ripped it off, lots of gunk under there, old paste I guess, and it acted as glue.

Now I have a more serious problem. I put my computer back together in the new case. But.

My mobo won't start. I have everything in except HDDs and DvD drive. So, RAM, CPU, fans, Video is on.

The power button on the board itself won't work, neither will the power button on the case (I have the pwr cable installed properly)

Now, the funny thing is that I can get the mobo to go on after fiddling with the main power cable for 5 mins or so, pulling it out, back in, back out, etc, until one time it just decides to kick in and it starts up. Funnily enough, after it starts up, I can turn it off with the same power buttons that don't work to turn it on, by holding them for a few seconds.

What is going on? And is there some kind of other way to start the mobo? Trick it into starting? Force it to start? It's not broke cuz I can get it to start after a painful amount of time, but the normal ways don't work, including the metal on the pwr pins trick.

Can I do anything? Please, I'm at my wits end.

Mobo is Ultra-D, in the sig.

BTW, all 4 of the debug red lights are on all the time, what does that mean? I don't remember that from before, I thought they go off one by one until they are all off?

Last edited:
I reinstalled everything, and now I get to boot screen, and can enter bios np. One red light stays on, is that normal? The 4 come on, then slowly one by one they go off until only one is left red.

I will now install everything else back in, the rest of the HDDs and stuff.

I still can't start the computer via start buttons, i have to fiddle with the power cable, in, out, in out, in out, lol. This is really disturbing.

Hi guys. Well, I got it to work now. It starts windows and everything, but I still cannot start it with any start button, or via jumber. The only way is to carefully input the main power cable, slowly, and trick it to start, then it stays on. This is ok in a way cuz once its on I leave my computer on all the time, with only a occasional restart, but it still bothers me.

But here is whats up now. For some reason, my vid card doesn't work in the first PCIE slot, I had to put it in the second on down below. It looks the same, but I am just wondering, will I see any difference in performance? Is it identical or different PCIE slot (it looks identical, but who knows).

Thanx in advance.

Back