• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo Reads Voltage's Incorrectly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackdragon1186

Registered
My current board, a MSI 790GX-G65 is reading my +5V, and +12V incorrectly. This is not the first board I have that has done this. I have a cheap socket 775 board that will jump from as low as 4V, to something like 9V, on the 12V rail.

Now here's the thing, I can take a multimeter and watch the voltage. In my current system, even with my 12V loaded up, (both gpu and cpu being fully stress-tested) the voltage reads 12.23.

voltages.png

You can see what my +5V and +12V are showing. Any idea as to why this happens?

If you're PSU is 5 years old, that's where I'd start looking, especially when trying to power the hardware you're running.

If you're PSU is 5 years old, that's where I'd start looking, especially when trying to power the hardware you're running.

As I stated above, I can load it up with more than 300W on the 12V rails, and with my multimeter, it shows over 12V. If you like, I can make a video of it.

There's a lot of weird, mysterious things in life I guess. I'm sure there's a reason but I couldn't tell you what it is.

Am I correct in assuming your were using HWMonitor before? I've read several posts on this forum lately where people have said it is kind of quirky, though it's my personal favorite.

There's a lot of weird, mysterious things in life I guess. I'm sure there's a reason but I couldn't tell you what it is.

Am I correct in assuming your were using HWMonitor before? I've read several posts on this forum lately where people have said it is kind of quirky, though it's my personal favorite.

Your assumption is correct. My favorite as well, mostly because it opens quickly. Thankyou!

Back