• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

astrob0y

Registered
Hey guys, I currently have a Gateway FX7020 and I was wondering if buying a new mobo means just swapping out the old and put in the new, using the same hard drive graphics card, ram, etc.. I'm trying to look for a new mobo that would allow me to sli and up the ram a bit. Here's the specs to my current rig:
11rae1c.jpg

I cant see the picture but you should AT LEAST do a repair install of your OS when you swap motherboards. You really should just do a complete reinstall though for that switch.

I might do a complete reinstall if i get a new one because I want the 64bit vista, this might be a silly question but how/where would i go for a repair of the OS? If I get a new mobo would that mean new BIOS as well? sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure. :)

Here's the direct link of the picture http://i34.tinypic.com/11rae1c.jpg

The pic is blocked at my office, its not you.

You repair the OS through the disk you used to install it. There should be a repair option.

Ahh, that rings a bell. When looking for a mobo while using a stock case is there anything i should be concerned about? dimensions?

Thanks again EarthDog.

You should be just fine. Just check what form factor the case supports. If not, get another one decent one (Antec 300, Antec P182).

If the case is mATX an ATX board will be about four inches too long to fit.
Cases are cheap though, i'm fond of the $36(newegg) gigabyte cases.

Yeah, I think it's better off buying a new case and build it from there. With a better case it can be easier to upgrade in the future. Probably gonna get a mid tower or something.

Back