• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modded Blocks In Hand!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Craziness,

Hey nikhsub1, do you use a back plate for mounting the blocks?

Keeping my eye on this thread.

bryan d
NO I do not use a backplate on my test bench. I think they are over rated and not needed.

so when will we see some results?? I was just about to sell my storm when.......shazam a great idea comes along.
Well, the storm performed BETTER stepped than unstepped - about 2.5C or so better but still not better than a bowed Apogee or a Fuzion. Folks, consider the Storm dead on IHS cpu's...
Nice machine work, it will be interesting to see you results. Did you happen to have them build you any Fuzion jets? I need one.
Heh, I've had nozzles for a long time, Danny from D-Tek just sent me the retail ones, they look nice and there is a quad 'splitter' nozzle too.

I know it has only been three days but...

Any results yet?
Yes but no complete results. You see the storm from above. My FIRST mount of the stepped Apogee GT bested the best mount of the bowed Apogee GT (only by .09c but hey). I'm running test 2 as I type this.

Good luck.

Sad to hear the Storm is dead. I might use it as a block on a backup PC at least (maybe W/Cing a HTPC).

I'll be curious about the FuZion results though. I can get someone to mill it for me if the improvement ends up being worth the cost.

Good luck.

Sad to hear the Storm is dead. I might use it as a block on a backup PC at least (maybe W/Cing a HTPC).

I'll be curious about the FuZion results though. I can get someone to mill it for me if the improvement ends up being worth the cost.
You have to be careful with the fuzion, my machines almost borked mine... it is very thin and fragile, he did bend some pins too but I think I wont make a difference.

With no backplate is that because the blocks surface is so flat you dont need to apply much pressure or do you have a different method of bolting them down.

Why do you say that backplates are not needed? There's plenty of pics on XS of mainboards bent way out of whack.
Well I have never used one, never needed one, never broken a board without one, never even bent my board so IDK what the fuss is about. Plus, if I started testing with a backplate that would invalidate all my data thus far... not gonna happen.

When I put the stock intel cooler on my MB, it bent it like a child's mind after watching a Richard Simons workout tape. :eek:

Maybe they designed HSF's to be mounted with the MB flexing like a wet rag, but that doesn't mean you can't help the situation. There are many cases in life where a reinforced part will require lesser forces as opposed to when its bent to heck. I can't help but think about cars - a heavier car with a stiffer chassis will end up needing a softer suspension than a wet-noodle of a car.

Well I have never used one, never needed one, never broken a board without one, never even bent my board so IDK what the fuss is about. Plus, if I started testing with a backplate that would invalidate all my data thus far... not gonna happen.

I don't use one as well. Hasn't been an advantage or disadvantage.

Only time I "tweaked" one was when I didn't attach the board properly to the case (went back to true after I removed the waterblock). now that I'm using 3/4" long 6-32 screws with proper nuts. No more stupid brass stand offs. Also instead of dealing with threading the screw into a stand off, all I have to do is tighten down a nut (mounting is reversed in a way, slide the mobo into the posts instead of screwing the board down... so much better).

Back