• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Putting the bow back in a block

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elfie

Some time ago I had to lap an Aquacomputer block as I'd used Cool Lab Liquid Pro and I couldn't get it off with any other method. I didn't dismantle the block and after I remounted it temperatures were worse than before.

After reading up about it I then found out about the bow that's designed in some blocks. I dismantled mine and started lapping the base of the block only and after a couple of minutes it was obvious to see an area in the centre of the block about about 1" in diameter that wasn't being sanded.

It took me a while but I eventually got it completely flat and after re- assembly the bow was back in the block (I think it's the pressure from the o ring that creates the bow) at least as much as I could tell with a razor blade anyway. Temperatures were back to what I'd had previously after that.

It also worked with a Heatkiller 3.0 too as I bought a used one that was badly scratched and after lapping the base only I could see there was still a bow when reassembled.

I've no idea whether it would work for every bowed block but if anyone has lapped one without dismantling it and is getting poor temps it's worth a try.

The Heatkiller 3.0 and the Aquacomputer Cuplex di are supposed to be bowed. I've read that others do but have no personal experience of them and don't know whether it's the o ring in those that create the bow.

Yep, they are supposed to be bowed. And you can add to the bowed list the Swiftech Apogee GTZ and Apogee XT, as well as the D-Tek FuZion series too. It helps give a better contact area on the cpu when mounted and tensioned down.

Back