• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

modding injurys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice "PHOTOSHOP". Even though, it's still scary as crap! :eek:

About those cpu fans, turn the fan to suck mode, then if you touch the blades, it won't hurt.

Just today, while trying to position a 90 in a dualie box I stuck a digit in it but sorry no blood, the blade just stopped dead.

Worst injury, while building a computer (chip by chip) dropped soldering iron on leg, nice 2 inch 2d burn.

Most Pain, Stepped on a 8 pin chip, had to pry if from heel.

Scariest, While AB testing a broken radio with a resistor discovered that the 150 volt capacitor was charged to 125Vo.. ~~Fzzzt~~. Found the two resistor wires, never found the rest of it. Sorry no blood lose but it sure was pumping for ten minutes after.
(edit, left out resistor in last sentence).

the only injury for me is when my tower sat beside my mouse on a unstable table.....then I bumped the table....use your imagination

Was using my ID to bend some pins back on a few old CPUs in preparation for possible testing...roommate screamed quite unnecessarily loudly from about 10 feet away (um, just because my door is closed doesn't mean you have to shriek); I jump, laptop almost gets nailed by a water glass and a pin from a 486DX snaps off and jams itself under my fingernail :eek:

Luckily, my nails weren't as long as they are now and it hadn't embedded itself in anything, I was able to pull it out with tweezers.

-----------

Got nicked on my ankle by something when I was fiddling with various hardware yesterday...I didn't realize it until later that evening when I felt something running down my calf, looked down and saw blood on my pant leg. Turns out I got a splinter of something in there...couldn't tell what it was, but I pulled it out pretty easily.

Benvanz said:
the only injury for me is when my tower sat beside my mouse on a unstable table.....then I bumped the table....use your imagination

ouch sorry man

glad i never had my tower fall over on me :eek:

i have been shocked by power supplies several times, once at the 120v ac imput, ended up about 8 feet away, still siting in my chair, didn't burn or anything, but still it hurt.

This wasnt really a mod but it was a memory installation injury so I guess it counts. I was putting in a stick of ram and my finger sliped down the side of it and it made about a 1.5 inch slice down the middle of my thumb. I guess they have really sharp ram or something but it was numb for hours and bled quite a bit. Luckily no blood on the computer parts ;)

i believe that pcbs are still made of glass, so it would not be hard for them to have a very sharp edge, watch out. btw, ram really isn't a mod, hardly counts as an upgrade as far as skill needed goes. but people will still pay me $25 to install a stick of ram for them.

Benvanz said:

haha, kinda had the same problem happen to me. I had my tower sitting on a flimsy tv tray wile i was putting in parts, on of the damn legs buckled and the whole thing came crashing down on my foot. It didnt break anything, my foot was just sore for a few days

randomtask16 said:
I was toying around inside my case with it running and my middle finger accidently made its way into the blade of this fan....running at 5500 rpm. It was the very tip of teh blade that hit, right on the outside of it. Heh, right where its the sharpest and moves the fastest. My finger brought it to a complete and instant stop, then prompty began bleeding. Also had a few deep cuts from the edges of cases. Got one yesterday actually.
35-106-038-08.JPG
Damn nice job mate!

doesnt have to do anything with modding, but i was trying to extend a ladder to get on the roof and got my finger stuck in between the rums of the ladder. It took the skin off the joint of my finger down to the bone. It was pretty cool and suprisingly didnt hurt at all. No blood whats so ever, but it is a little sore.

Also. I was modding my xbox and took the mobo out. I cut my hand on the heatsink. Hurt like heck.

millhouse said:
doesnt have to do anything with modding, but i was trying to extend a ladder to get on the roof and got my finger stuck in between the rums of the ladder. It took the skin off the joint of my finger down to the bone. It was pretty cool and suprisingly didnt hurt at all. No blood whats so ever, but it is a little sore.

:eek:

the idea only...

While soldering the other week, I put down the iron on the desk (didn't have a stand at the time) and reached out for a resistor. Something nudged the cable which dragged the iron off the desk. With lightning fast reactions I reached out and caught it before it hit the floor... With even faster reactions I dropped it and screamed!

Other than that a few minor cuts and stuff. Strange thing is, I've put my finger in many fans, but never once drew blood, or even a cut (I test fan speed by slowing it down with my finger ;) )

Modifing the car though.. thats different, hehehe. Most painful was grazing knuckles on ground as wrench slips, took out a few chunks of skin and a deep cut down my palm. I had lots of dirt and stuff on hands so asked 'mate' to hand me something to wipe it off with. He hands me a petrol soaked rag. OOHHAHA! FFU***KK!!!

Back