• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modern Printer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ascii2

I am wanting to purchase a printer.

What features do the printers on the market have that should be attained?

Also, explain what the significance of newer printer technologies are ("dye sub", "photo printer", etc.).

Any relevant information is apreciated.

It really depends on what you want/need to print and how much you want to spend. If all you want is a cheap document printer, you can find a decent inkjet for $30-60.

If all you need is a photo printer then you can get a dedicated photo printer starting around $100 AFAIK dye sub printers are photo printers only

If you want something to print muitple documents and scan etc... then there are some nice printer/scanner/copier combos available starting around $100

My best advice is to decide what you need then browse an office supply or electronics store to check them out personally. Most places like office depot have working demos where you can print test pages or sample photos. Then check the cost of ink because some of the cheaper printers have the most expensive ink or use multiple color cartriges.

My advice is to buy a well known high priced computer becuase without it youll end up spending the money on ink

Amarkarian said:
My advice is to buy a well known high priced computer becuase without it youll end up spending the money on ink
Are you implying that the purchase of ink should be forgone for the purchase of a computer?

Last edited:
If subject A: Computer equals B: Ink not equal to C: Printer
A+B-C = C-A-B All we learned from this is that we get 2 printers or a CAB.. :p
Or a very strange duallie with ink running its core.

I would strongly suggest, look around, see what your needs are. I bought the Epson c66, great for photos, and great for multiple documents. Consider your needs first. Then fill in the blank. There are plenty of printers on the market. I always look on the printer, cost of ink, and is it worth my need.

//Christian

As has been said, It really depends. If you want to print lots of photos and also some text and don't want to completely break the bank, I recomend the canon pixma ip5000 (~$200). I have it an it works great and great quality, even though its only 4 colors as oposed to the 6-7 some printers have. It is able to make up for it because it has droplet sizes as low as 1picoliter.

Back