• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modifying a vga cooler for cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chug

Currently running an axp140 and it still sees 65 degrees on full chat. Does a double equivalent exist? Like this, but flat....

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/125/SCKC2100_side.html

Tried bending an old heatsink by hand and it flattened the tubes.

Seen this and wondering if it could be modified for cpu use?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Arcti...ther_Computing_Networking&hash=item4854a4e78d

If I was to say could a small 5/10mm thick copper spacer machined to put under the thermal plate on the cooler, how detrimental to performance would this be?

Or has anyone seen a little mini tube bending kit with small formers?

Cheers

• Simply get a real good CPU cooler.
• Upgrade the fan on your existing cooler.
• Rework your case air flow to improve temp.

There aren't any "real good cpu coolers" that exist in the configuration I need. I have no space upwards, hence asking the above.

Fan on the existing cooler has already been upgraded, and at the mo the case its in has no top on.

How is your "mini fridge" cooling?
What is your case airflow it like?
What is your AXP-140 intake air temp?
What fan and which direction is it moving air on the AXP-140?

I suspect it's not a cooler problem but more of a case cooling problem. I'm using the little brother to your AXP-140, the AXP-100, on a i7 920 and even under 100% load rendering graphics it only hits 69-70c @1500rpm and 61-63c @ 2450rpm with stock TY-100 fan pulling air out of cooler with a vent above it in case. Before I turned the fan over and it was pushing air into cooler it was only 76-79c @ 1500rpm and 67-69c @ 2450rpm (same rendering operation and same case).

AXP-100 is 121x105mm with 6 pipes out of one side of base and AXP-140 isi7 920 is 145x147mm with 6pipes out both side of base, and my i7 920 is 130w. Not sure what your "Pentium 200mmx 166mhz" is because what I find is Pentium MMX 200MHz and 166MHz with 66MHz FSB being 15.7w and 13.1w. So it would seem you have enough cooler for the job

I appreciate what you're saying and thanks for the reply, the case isn't quite finished yet, but airflow will be the best it can be. Inlet for the cpu is butted up against an intake grill, and 5 low speed 100mm exhaust fans .

Except I have a large space which could be utilised if I had a double top down cooler. With that I can run 2 large fans, and leave it doing something at 100% cpu over night without it getting right in my earhole, and also not use a large ugly tower case with cooler to match.

My Pentium 200mmx is overclocked to I5 3570k @ 4.4ghz standards.

Interesting about pushing the air out, makes sense when it is under load I guess. Did like the idea of it cooling the board, hence having it that way round.

I found that vga cooler for £21 delivered, so I thought it's worth a punt at that even if it doesn't work.

I would be very interested to know just how much effect a copper spacer would have between the cpu and cooler.

Reason mine works better pulling than pushing is because the RAM, I/O housing, mobo heatsinks, GPU, etc. all turn the hot air blowing down onto mobo through cooler right back up by intake fan on cooler and are sucked back in. By sucking air out of cooler cool air is drawn under cooler and pulled up.. and than the hot air coming out of fan blows right out the case vent.

I first discovered this testing on an open bench and had just layed the fan on top of cooler.. everything was running fine but for some reason CPU readings were cooler... hum.. looked at fan and noticed it was pulling.

The copper spacer block is an interesting idea. If I ever stumble onto a thick piece I'll have to give it a try. Wouldn't be hard to cut and make if you had a piece to play with. Soft enough you could use wood working band saw or table saw to cut it. Wet/dry sand it on a thick piece of glass to get it flat and polished.

I suspect your "3570k" can push out some a pretty good flow of heat.. :D

If you do try pulling out of cooler instead of pushing in please post up how it does. Would be interested in knowing.

Fair enough. I've got a project log around here somewhere which should explain why I want to do it.

Anyway the cooler turned up today. I took an angle grinder to it to make clearance to, bend the pipes up, flattened a few of them in the process. Unscrewed the mounts, didn't even clean off the old thermal paste, or new. Rested it on the cpu, so it only has the weight of the cooler pushing down on it, wanged the fan in on an extension for a pwm, turned it on, and I'm posting this message encoding a video at 100% use with about a 10-15 degree decrease on what it was usually sat at with the thermalright. 55 degrees.

So minus my bodge, and I reckon for a £20 cooler we might have a winner. Will get another one and do it properly. Now to work out a mounting system.

On another note, I bet this cooler is the same as the new ones for the new cards with a different mount and a £50 price increase.

View attachment 123683

Thats the case its going in, except a bit longer.

So assuming this goes to plan, the idea is to have one set (3x 100mm fans) on the right for the cpu. Another on the left for a horizontal gpu, They're all intakes. Have the both side sets exhausting blowing out of the side. all pwm controlled. Also a couple more low speed on the floor to cool the sound, tv cards and drive(s).

Could have used a Mono PLUS ... much small and EZer to install in such a motherbard setup.

But that's a single fanned small unit? Pretty much the same as what it would have replaced.

The monoplus ( with heatpipe ) is good for well over 100w. I dont think you'll need that much cooling on a CPU. The thing you currently have is good for over 200w.

250watts yeah. I don't need anything other than the stock cooler.

I want a cooler that'll run an overclocked 3570k and run it at 100% for hours on end in a space constrained case whilst still being ultra quiet.

Hence if I could get a cooler rated for a 21 gigawatts, I'd use it because it would run colder and therefore much quieter than one rated for 100watts.

Also pretty baffled at the suggestion of a cooler which is the same layout as the one its replacing, but thanks for the reply anyway.

Cheers for the block find. I was going to ask a mate to lathe me something up.

I'd like to know if anyone could suggest how that would effect overall temperature? IE should I keep the block as thin as possible. Thermal paste on both sides?

Thing is, I could get away without bending the pipes if I could use quite a thick spacer. Might have to make a few a try them I guess.

Back