• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modifying a vga cooler for cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Spacer only needs to be as big as the heatsink base/CPU contact area. I don't think anything bigger will help as it won't be able to radiate much of it's flat sides.

Got this done, couldn't really give it a fair test as it is on a new haswell build. I flattened a couple of the heatpipes when bending them, had to chop some of the heatsink off completley, and the spacer is 8mm thick.

Runs battlefield 4 on a i5 k (not clocked) at 48 degrees with 2 140mm noctuas firing the air out of the case. I reckon with more attention to detail ie a thinner spacer, don't kink the heatpipes, maybe find a cooler with 8mm pipes rather than 6, it could be made to be a very effecient cooler for small spaces.

I'll be applying the same logic to the gpu in my case, and I reckon with the card laying on its side and the hot air firing straight out of the case the temps should drop hugely.

Looking at the steambox dimensions and spec, I reckon they'll be doing something similar, should be an interesting case for itx gamers.

Back