• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mono Block

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TwoTone

Registered
So I finally upgraded to a X470 Taichi and 2700. I have most of my WC parts coming and was going to use the EK Supremacy MX cpu block.

Poking around on the EK site I noticed the mono blocks and I was wondering if it might be worth it in my situation?
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fb-asrock-x470-taichi-rgb-monoblock-nickel

I'm going to have a 240 rad in the front pulling in air and a 360 rad in the top exhausting air and one 140 case fan for rear exhaust.

I was thinking the stock air heat sinks on the VRM might not get as much air flow since most of mine is through rads.

I doubt it would be necessary. I have x470 Taichi on a 2600x. The VRMs are so robust and overbuilt that they really don't get hot. I do have 3 rad fans exhausting right above the motherboard, as well as 3 intake fans at the bottom of the case. My CPU will draw almost 110 W with PBO running p95 small FFTs, and I don't think I've seen the VRMs over 60c. I just did a 7 minute run to see and my max was 55 c on the VRMs. I think even with the 8 cores you'll be fine.

They are generally considered unnecessary anyway, but for this board, I would think especially so. They do look cool, so there is always the aesthetic factor as well, but I don't think it will change performance. In theory it would also increase the amount of heat in your loop. Either way you should be OK with the rads you have, depending on thickness and if you're cooling any GPU(s)?

Last edited:
I doubt it would be necessary. I have x470 Taichi on a 2600x. The VRMs are so robust and overbuilt that they really don't get hot. I do have 3 rad fans exhausting right above the motherboard, as well as 3 intake fans at the bottom of the case. My CPU will draw almost 110 W with PBO running p95 small FFTs, and I don't think I've seen the VRMs over 60c. I just did a 7 minute run to see and my max was 55 c on the VRMs. I think even with the 8 cores you'll be fine.

They are generally considered unnecessary anyway, but for this board, I would think especially so. They do look cool, so there is always the aesthetic factor as well, but I don't think it will change performance. In theory it would also increase the amount of heat in your loop. Either way you should be OK with the rads you have, depending on thickness and if you're cooling any GPU(s)?

I'm using the two EKWB PE radiators I already have so both 38mm. Cooling both the CPU and Vega 64 so I think I should be fine.

I think it depends on what you want to do with the Vega64. I'm really feeling under-radded right now with mine at 300w, and I'm planning to flash the 350w bios or just edit the power tables at some point (Right now 300w, GPU 1.7GHz, Mem 1GHz is plenty). The card stays perfectly cool but the CPU gets pretty warm. deltaT stays OK, but the cost is pretty high fan RPMs. Some of it may be my PWMs being a little aggressive, my fans get pretty fast when the CPU hits 70c. With the 38mm rads I would suggest allocating 360mm to the GPU alone, leaving 240mm for the CPU (and VRMs), if you want to keep noise levels reasonable under load.

If you want to do the monoblock, I would look at some other users experiences and see if an extra 120mm of rad is advised with that setup. This is of course assuming you want to OC.

Not trying to be rude, but what happened here?
EK stuff looks nice, but I can't support a company with such crappy customer service and outright liars.
Now you're shopping for EK again? If they made things right for you maybe go back and change the post.

I think it depends on what you want to do with the Vega64. I'm really feeling under-radded right now with mine at 300w, and I'm planning to flash the 350w bios or just edit the power tables at some point (Right now 300w, GPU 1.7GHz, Mem 1GHz is plenty). The card stays perfectly cool but the CPU gets pretty warm. deltaT stays OK, but the cost is pretty high fan RPMs. Some of it may be my PWMs being a little aggressive, my fans get pretty fast when the CPU hits 70c. With the 38mm rads I would suggest allocating 360mm to the GPU alone, leaving 240mm for the CPU (and VRMs), if you want to keep noise levels reasonable under load.

If you want to do the monoblock, I would look at some other users experiences and see if an extra 120mm of rad is advised with that setup. This is of course assuming you want to OC.

Not trying to be rude, but what happened here?

Now you're shopping for EK again? If they made things right for you maybe go back and change the post.

Well Everything I currently have is EK, and I'll be honest - somewhat anal about keeping things constant, so if the mono block was a definite advantage I'd buy it. Still not happy with the CS.

The issue with your suggestion it it requires another pump/res and I don't have room to that in the case.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Not recommending dual loops at all. Just indicating that from my experience the Vega, if you overclock it and substantially increase it's power draw, will use up the full capacity of your 360mm radiator, leaving the 240mm capacity for the CPU. In other words, to add the VRMs in with a monoblock my advice would be to have 2x360mm rads, at least at 38mm. This is just going with the generalized rule of 240mm for each overclocked component, plus 120mm for the VRMs if you go with the monoblock, plus an additional 120mm for the Vega if you're going to feed it a ton of extra power.

Could it work with the two rads you have, of course. I tried to push the limits of that rule by using a single high quality 60mm thick 360mm rad, but using a Vega64 instead of a 1070Ti threw things off, and it requires more fan speed than I'd like.

In other words, I'm trying to say don't get the monoblock, because it's both unnecessary (especially with the Taichi) and pushes the limits of your loop, unless you really like the appearance of it enough to possibly make sacrifices in terms of fans speed or OC. But that's just my $0.02 coming from a similar system with a custom loop. Really you should also wait for some posters with more WC experience to chime in, because I'm only speaking from my experience with my first and only custom loop.

personally i go overkill with rads if at all possible(i cram as many in my case as i can hehe) but youll be fine with a 240pe and 360pe. the pe series is decent but not top tier unfortunately. for your use case you shouldnt have any issues if you pair them with solid fans. the last bit is a huge factor with ek pe rads. in my experience monoblocks are sweet looking options that do a great job of cooling vrms and give solid cpu cooling. mine is a bp so not as good as the ek variants. the added load of the vrms arent going to effect your temps enough to matter one way or the other. i saw a slight increase in temps with mine on a evga x99 classy but it didnt effect my oc a bit. if you like the look. i say go for it, get the monoblock and sexy up that loop! after all, a huge factor in wcing is to eliminate as many hot spots as possible while making it look as badass as possible ;)

Back