• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monthly roundup of water cooling's best components[Retired Sticky]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm interested to see how the D-Tek direct impingment GPU, yes GPU, blocks will be. Says on their site that they are coming out soon.

golfking222 said:
I'm confused about pumps. Is the MCP-355 a DDC? And can you change the top on the MCP-355 into say, an alphacool?

Yes sir! If I'm right...it's the DDC+ and the MCP-350 is the DDC.

golfking222 said:
I'm confused about pumps. Is the MCP-355 a DDC? And can you change the top on the MCP-355 into say, an alphacool?

DDC Rev. 1, DDC-1, DDC, MCP-350 are the 10w version (Black impeller)

DDC Rev. 2, DDC-2, DDC+, DDC-Ultra, MCP355 are the 18w version (Orange impeller)

Both can have the tops changed to aftermarket ones, like Petra's, Alphacool's, Radiicals, etc.

The new ones ship with blue impellers, both the 8w and 18w versions. They can be interchanged with a simple solder bridge.

K thx, that clears a lot up. So to get a DDC+ w/ an alphacool top you would buy a MCP355 and an alphacool top then just install the top yourself?

I have not had time to thoroughly investigate the Fuzion block, but it does appear to be a good one from end user testing. A lack of active testbeds really makes me leery about assigning a ranking to it.

This thread is in need of an update I believe the D-tek fuzion and Apogee GT are new kids on the block no pun intended. Also aren't the Thermochill PA series the final word in radiator goodness? I have the EK 8800GTX waterblock and it has dropped the temp of the GPU to circa 38-40C and 49C at load.... give this man your money lol. Funnily enough the pump situation remains unchanged. just my tuppence worth!

By chipsets I meant GPU blocks. That was intentional.

I have done a small updated, and I am going to assume from now on that most people are running IHS'ed CPUs, and I will rank things accordingly.

Since there are no known active testbeds anymore, I am forced to rely on end user data. This is not ideal, but it is the only alternative to axing the whole thread.

I have eliminated Silverprop blocks as they are hardly available in the United States anymore.

Last edited:
RADCOM said:
This thread is in need of an update I believe the D-tek fuzion and Apogee GT are new kids on the block no pun intended. Also aren't the Thermochill PA series the final word in radiator goodness? I have the EK 8800GTX waterblock and it has dropped the temp of the GPU to circa 38-40C and 49C at load.... give this man your money lol. Funnily enough the pump situation remains unchanged. just my tuppence worth!

You're killing me... Now I wanna go run out and get a EK GPU block...

EK vs MCW60 for a 8800GTX (stock at 627/1000 XFX XXX edition)??? Any one experience with both? Any numbers for the MCW60 (since we have some #'s from RADCOM)?

who makes the storm cpu block? every time i search for it on google i dont get much info.. if i had the manufacturer i think i would get more luck in finding a place that sells them..
i found the fuzion but im only single core

Cathar designed and built at first - in later years it was built by Swiftech. However, the Storm is off the market AFAIK, replaced by the Apogee GT & GTX. The Storm is a great block for lidless chips but not as good with an IHS ...

Storm G4 - mass produced by Swiftech. Discontinued. Some companies still have stock on the shelves (I've got 2 left at the mo!)

Storm G5 - limited edition - made by Cathar / LittleRiverWaterblocks. Limited quantities produced to order only. Now discontinued. Can only be purchased secondhand.

Storm G7 - limited edition as above, produced to order only. No more orders being accepted. Cathar has retired from waterblock production, other than completing outstanding orders of the G7 afaik.

Where does the Thermochill rads fall? I bought this dual 120mm rad from jabtech for a whopping $120. I have heard very good things about it. Thats why I bought it.

Thermochill rads are quite good. If you use one, however, plan to use anti-corrosion additives to your water if you couple it with any copper blocks/accessories in your loop. All Thermochill rads, and even most of their line splitters, are all aluminum. Unless you have plated blocks, you will need an anti-corrosion additive to avoid the battery effect.

Utter crap. Thermochill rads don't contain a single bit of Aluminium. You do NOT need to use ANY anti-corrosive additives with ThermoChill rads and copper blocks.

We also don't and never will make line splitters.

http://www.thermochill.com/pa1202.php

Construction: Brass Tanks & Tubes, Cu Fins

Exactly the same as all the other made-for-pc radiators out there (other than Koolance).

For info on ThermoChill PA Series performance vs everyone else, see http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=77260

My apologies, I had Koolance on the brain when he said Thermochill, no idea how I read that wrong.

Back