• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monthly roundup of water cooling's best components[Retired Sticky]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As far as I know they are identical except for the passes. The water velocity in general will be higher in the 2-pass therefore having better heat transfer. The 1-pass would be good if you had a really insane high flow setup.

The Black Ice series X-Flow radiators are not "true" single-pass radiators. They're the same core as the standard two-pass models, but they have different end tanks slapped on. Thermochill's PA series (is that the right model?) are true single-pass cores.

Looking for suggestions

Well I a starting build up of a new mATX setup.
Beginning with the Ultra MircoFly case and a Ath. AM2 5000+ X2 with a biostar board. Yes going water cooled.

And considering that space is of a premium I am using the following simply because one can mount on the other. I am still trying to find a better choice for water block and rad however.

But what I have now for res and pump, Swiftect MCP350 3/8" and Thermaltake Aquabay. Figured it had a good size and allows the mounting of the pump to it instead of having to find a spot on the case.

I am looking at mounting the radiator outside of course, but only a single unless I feel like I want to make some monster mount feet for it.

Is the Swifty storm still the #1 CPU waterblock?

The reason I ask is I need something to replace my Vapo-LS for my 6700-XE quad. So I need something with gutts!

*edit...how about this one....Aqua-Extreme MP-05-SP LE?

Last edited:
I want to cool just my CPU with lquid. I also want the pump, rad and res outside my case, so all I have in my case is two tubes going to the CPU block. I also think a submersible pump would be best for quietness.

I like the sound of the 2 pass Black Ice Extreme rad, and I am gathering from these threads that I will want the Apogee to cool my X6800 and possible upgrade to 45nm whenever they arrive on the market.

I just have no idea what is the best pump for this. If I have to have a pump that is not submersible then so be it...I will. I am hoping to keep my CPU somewhere near room temo. Right now it is at 42C and the room is about 20.

I think I can solder all the three fan wires together ans run just one cable into the PC case for the fans , and if the pump is supposed to get power from the PSU also I can run one cable in for it as well.

So I guess what I am asking is what brand/model equipment do I want to use?

1...CPU block
2...pump (submersible?)
3...rad
4...res

Thanks -Jim

how do swiftech rads compare to the rest of the big manufacturers Rufus?good bad ugly?

An update on waterblocks would be good, mainly the addition of the Apogee GT and DTek Fuzion (I know you're 'digging' on this ;) ), according to the tests I've seen, the new order in terms of performance would be:
1-Fuzion/Storm (Fuzion does better on multi-dies, Storm better on single)
2-Apogee GT
3-AquaXtreme MP-05 SP/LE
4-Apogee
etc etc etc...

Appreciate all your hard work Rufus! :D

Where does the Thermochill rads fall? I bought this dual 120mm rad from jabtech for a whopping $120. I have heard very good things about it. Thats why I bought it.

Thermochill rads are the best out there...but certainly not the best bang-for-your buck, for $120 you'd be better off with 2 2x120 GTS/X rads :). But if space is an issue and money is not, you chose well.

Exacrie mah mang, space is the issue. Way to big with 2. But it would be cool to see some pics of a dual-dual rad.

What do you guys know about the Edvard Konig (EK) water blocks coming out of europe.
I think that their 8800gtx block is one of the best, but im wondering about getting one of their CPU waterblocks as well.
Also, will a single 2x120mm rad be enough for GPU and CPU goodness.(e6300), GPU to be bought and added into loop later.

Back