• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Morrowind for Dummies(newbs guide to morrowind)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok, figured out how to put stuff on the hooks, but how do you put a spear across both hooks so that it rests not only on one (cause that looks silly)?

try jumping, then hitting inventory while ur in the air. Then you can usually drag and drop out of your inventory to get it where you want it. Thats how i stocked all my shelves.

My favourite mods are the "a good place to stay" house mod, the new faces mod, and this castle mod i found somewhere...cant remember what it was. added this huge fort outside of vivec (like we rea talking massive, and really cool looking.

i'm really glad you all are enjoying this thread so much :) . Makes me feel special for contributing something to the forums.

if anybody wants to add information about the mods or any other info they might like to add, i ll try to compile it all into the first post. also, if someone could compile a list of where to download all those mods afterwards/as they submit that'd be really great. hard to do all that while im studying for government finals :D

i went out a bought the goty yesterday. wow! why didn't i ever buy this game before? my wife already calls it "the game that should not be" and I'm going to get in hot water with my HW2 mod team because i haven't done a thing since i installed this game. it's just so huge. i got totally into it and almost jumped out of my chair when it thunder crashed all of the sudden.

i made the mistake of joining every guild in balmora that i could get into. the idea was to figure out what i would like best but it backfired on me when the fighting guild sent me after something a thief guild member had. either way i played it i got kicked out of a guild.
right now every time i take a nap an assassin comes after me (damn good thing it saves when i rest). i also stole a buch of expensive stuff that i can't sell because nobody has the money to buy it and carrying it around is a bother. i really wanted to get through the game before i modded it but it looks like i'm going to atleast need a house.

one big complaint though is how hard it is to hit anything. i mean this badguy is right in front of me, i have the cross hairs right on it and i cant touch it with a weapon. i thought it was because my character is weak but it has not gotten any better at lvl5. i have no idea how to aim this thing and thats what is getting me killed more than anything else.
i swing i jab and never hit the other guy while he chops me up...
got a mod for that?
anyway, great game!
oh, and my friends and familly hate Bethesda Softworks.

Band-aid said:
i went out a bought the goty yesterday. wow! why didn't i ever buy this game before? my wife already calls it "the game that should not be" and I'm going to get in hot water with my HW2 mod team because i haven't done a thing since i installed this game. it's just so huge. i got totally into it and almost jumped out of my chair when it thunder crashed all of the sudden.

i made the mistake of joining every guild in balmora that i could get into. the idea was to figure out what i would like best but it backfired on me when the fighting guild sent me after something a thief guild member had. either way i played it i got kicked out of a guild.
right now every time i take a nap an assassin comes after me (damn good thing it saves when i rest). i also stole a buch of expensive stuff that i can't sell because nobody has the money to buy it and carrying it around is a bother. i really wanted to get through the game before i modded it but it looks like i'm going to atleast need a house.

one big complaint though is how hard it is to hit anything. i mean this badguy is right in front of me, i have the cross hairs right on it and i cant touch it with a weapon. i thought it was because my character is weak but it has not gotten any better at lvl5. i have no idea how to aim this thing and thats what is getting me killed more than anything else.
got a mod for that?
anyway, great game!

Deja vu all the way! =)
Except for joining guilds. My adventure took a dive at rats :/ How we hatessss them little ratses!!! ( Gollum voice )

I never figured out how to kill things either :/ Thing is I have the game lying on my desk calling to me but I play SWG right now and it takes plenty of my free time as it is. So this one will have to wait. But thread will live on =)
Cheers mates!

heya, i've got a question about the "agoodplacetostay" house. i dl'd it and unzipped the files and stuff, but all there is in it are the meshes and the textures. there's no data file included, and no readme, either, so can anyone tell me where the house is?

you begin to hit with your weapon much more often when you increase skill on a certain type of weapon, not really all that much on what level your character is at. I use axe and long sword, my axe is at the max 100 and long sword is at 89 and it hits everytime.... stick with one weapon and you will eventually see some improvement, though slowly.

As to the "agoodplacetostay" you need to unzip it with winrar (for some reason other zip programs dont unzip the data files)

crap, i don't have that. er, there wouldn't happen to be anyone out there that feels like unzipping it and e-mailing it to me, is there? my e-mail's [email protected] if anyone feels like helping a brother out, hehe . . .

I just had a question on peoples experiences with enchanting items. What items allow you to put the most "stuff" on them because my exquisite amulet cant hold all that much constant affectage. What are your best enchanting items?

s-s-s-s-s-TICKY.....dude i got a sticky! sawwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet....go me :)

As for your question goronae, the best items for enchantment are exquisite anything, daedric weapons, and the ebony staff. The ebony staff holds by far the best enchantment value of all, best used for wizards. For warriors, i beleive it's still the daedric dai-katana, with around 25 enchant value (correct me if i'm wrong). i ve been trying to find a good site where they had a list of all the base weapons, with their relative enchant values, but i havent been able to find them anywhere. For a weapon, 20 is about good. And constant affects take up TONS of enchant value. You're better off just looking for constant effects in the game, or making one in the editor (although most consider that cheating :D )

I used two short swords with enchant 20 (they were actually long swords i downloaded in a pack because they had really nice textures, and they were too short for longswords so i made them short swords, and didnt change the enchant value. its a BIT high for short swords, but oh well).

25 for a sword will get you near 100-100 extra damage of a certain type of element. Just grab a couple of different ones in case one runs out in the middle of a nasty dungeon, or for a quick switch if something's immune to one of them (like those damned nords and their cold resistance).

Can someone help find a good site with specs on all the base equiptment? i looked for a good 30 minutes and couldnt find anything.

Band-aid said:

your problem here is that you re not taking care to avoid breaking the guild's rules. Sometimes, when you re required to kill a member of another guild, there are ways to avoid it. Most of the guildmissions that involve killing someone (with the exception of the morag tong of course) can be completed in a perfectly legally acceptable way (it's just not always the easiest). For example, while doing the house Hlaalu missions, you will sometimes be required to do some rather shady business (like extracting huge taxes from peasants, and killing them if they cant cough up the dough). These can be avoided by talking to Claudius Cuuro (i didnt spell that right, but hes the dude that always hits on you...:( ). He will tell you that you shouldn't do that, and will eventually get the guy arrested, and you a nice big promotion :) . Sometimes you will have to pay off those nasty fines yourself, but its often worth the price to avoid the long nasty hike to wherever the person you have to collect off is (worst comes to worst, just sell off another one of those useless items collecting dust in your house).

running tribunal are ya? they will continue to harrass you for a while until you ask a guard about it. That will open up the quest path to finding your way to Mournhold, and starting the Tribunal mainquest. Just wait until you get halfway through the morrowind mainquest, same thing happens but with ash zombies. i cudnt sleep for a week because of it.
as for your second statement, in order to sell some of your more expensive items, you need to find either the skamp or the mudcrab. I beleive theres a guide for it somewhere else in this thread. If not, i ll just breifly outline it for you. Sell off a bunch of small items to the merchant until he/she's out of money. Then go to sleep for 24 hours until they regain that money. Then buy all those items off them, and sell them a more expensive one. Just keep repeating until the merchant has racked up enough cash to buy off your expensive item.

got a mod for that?
anyway, great game!
not being able to hit things is a result of low skill in the weapon class you're using. Try training the skill in the weapon you're using, or switching to a weapon of a class you're better at using. A good way of training is to find a weapon with really low damage, and some nonimportant person somewhere with really high health. Just keep hitting them for a while with your sword until you think they need healing, then use some quick healing spells on them before going at them again. Then make a quick run for your local thieves guild to pay off the bounty.

Also remember: your endurance affects hit ratio. If you jump and run everywhere you CAN'T hit. The endurance bar is the green one, BTW. keep it full while in combat.

....i never knew that! haha. i always jump everywhere, and that bar is almost always empty. pays to rest before going into a harsh combat zone to replenish that then.

I think we should post picture of our characters and their stats I want to see how my character ranks against eveyone elses

thanks capn'!
i'm starting to make a little progress. atleast i can fight better now. really wishing i had put more into marksman when i started as i have found a couple of arrows into the bad guys as they run towards me really softens them up if it doesn't kill them out right. i noticed a couple of times an arrow stopped an incomming spell but best of all darts take out rats before they even get to me!
making pretty good money by just picking up everything that can be picked up and selling it. spending it all on training though.

Well I thought I'd start on my suggestion by posting my character. He's an Orc Adventurer, head of mages, fighter, thiefs guilds, imperial legion, and imperial cult.

CharacterView2.jpg

CharacterStats2.jpg

Looks like someone found the console. :)

Seriously... you got to lvl 58 and only bought 3 spells? And how did you finish the thief guild if you drank the bittercup? Morrowind is almost too easy even if you don't cheat.

hi mates!
Well I would like to as a favor :)
Thing is that I'm ready to start playing this game again... But this time I don't want to stop because of some stupid choice I made and so on like I did 2 last times. So I would like you to help me create character :)
I'm in love with Paladins but Morrowind don't have them prebuilt and I suck at making chars so I need you guys =)
He would have to be Human. Great fighter but still good at magic as well. I donät know if this is possible but I would like to create something near this.
Also what weapons and armors to put points in and how much ? And what sign to chose...
That would be it. I hope some of you gosus will have time to put together a noble char for me!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Well; Paladin could be done as follows:
Imperial
Focus: Combat
Attributes: Endurance, Willpower
Major:
Long Blade
Restoration
Heavy Armor
Block
Shortblade

Minor:
Speechcraft
Enchant
Mysticism
Axe
Armorer

This gives you a skill in every attribute, keeps acrobat and athletics misc (which can be very helpful to keep level bonuses good)

I'd recommend using a longblade/shield combo and occasionally switch over to Axe for damage. Heavy Armor is expensive/hard to find at first but suits the archetype.
I might recommend swapping a favored stat out for Luck too; as you can never get a good multiplier.

Sign: I *HIGHLY* recommend either Atronauch or Lady. Atronauch is abuseable and incredibly powerful; Lady is free stat enhancement if you don't want to cheese the game. In your case; I'd pick Lady. I normally take the Atro when I'm playing Breton/Magy characters, you won't be using magic enough to justify it as your skill I think.

Edit: logic burp on the keeping athletics/acrobatics misc - labeled it minor

Last edited:
Back