• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Morrowind for Dummies(newbs guide to morrowind)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well this will be my first time to play the game for real I hope :)
"First" first time performance just killed everything.
Second time I got to Balmore and got this quest to kill rats. I got so pwned time after time that I thought I created poor char and quit again.
Now this would be 3rd time. And I really hope this time around I'll enjoy this game.

Could you please care to elaborate on
"acrobat and athletics minor (which can be very helpful to keep level bonuses good)"

I din't really understand that :(

Thank you for your time!

kestrel said:
Looks like someone found the console. :)

Seriously... you got to lvl 58 and only bought 3 spells? And how did you finish the thief guild if you drank the bittercup? Morrowind is almost too easy even if you don't cheat.
For the latter question, if you do enough of the Fighter's Guild quest, you'll eventually get to the ones from Percius, he'll want you to kill Eyrie if you've not done the Bittercup quest, hence afterwards the Masterchief of Thieves will acknowledge the death accordingly.
Anyho, I've managed to break the addiction of late, I've completed near enough all the quests of Morrowind, Tribunal and Bloodmoon. There are few places I've not been or done or acquired.

Some decent mods I've played so far are Giants (adds loads of new creatures), Children of the Night 1 and 2 (pretty good storyline but buggy) and The illuminated Order (very professional feel to it and well structured, about 20 quests).

Morrowind has a skill oriented system.
Here's a sample of how it works:
Let's say I want to be stronger
I look at my skills and notice "Long Blade" is strength based
So I use my Long Blade and get Long Blade skill ups.
Now; when I level up I get a large strength bonus because I've been using strength skills.
Now; Major/Minor skills have 2 parts. An initial bonus and the level count. When you select a skill to be 'major' you start off with that skill being higher, as a 'minor' it is high, and everything else is just base level.
So if I have "Long Blade" be major it might start at say 30, if its minor 25 and if its neither maybe 15 (I just made these #s up)

Leveling is based on major/minors though; so you need to be very careful with this. Once you accumulate 10 skill ups in ANY combination of major and minor skills you level up.
So lets say you accidentally make all of your skills strength based. Now when you concentrate on strength you'll level fast but nothing but strength will really benifit from the level more than likely.

Check this for a really good explanation:
http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/morrowind_attribute.txt -- can't link direct:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/game/3365.html
labeled "Attribute Advancement FAQ"

Athletics and Acrobatics are really easy to raise in the game so you don't want them on your major/minor list. Why? Because you gain skills fast you get to 10x on that major/minor list fast and level up that much faster. This means your multilpliers for that level will likely be low; which is generally speaking a bad thing (the game bases difficulty on your level for many encounters and so if you're level 10 from running/jumping you can't swing a sword well and the game thinks you should be at this point).

Last edited:
Well after reading the first part of the thread I installed morrowind and now im getting ready to read this whole thread and prepare myself to paly again.

no really , what's so special about this game, i have tried it, and am not sorry to say this, it is really stupid and boring. i don't know what it's so good about it but 1 thing is for sure. it sells:p

Asteras said:
no really , what's so special about this game, i have tried it, and am not sorry to say this, it is really stupid and boring. i don't know what it's so good about it but 1 thing is for sure. it sells:p

Why are you trolling this thread and saying that? Why dont you read the thread and understand what alot of problems people have had with the game, and why alot of people dump it so fast.

Im getting sick of all the trolls on this forum.

Asteras said:

and sorry to say this, but ur an ignorant idiot. how can you KNOW a game sucks and is boring if you've never played it? ur like that gamespot reviewer who reviewed the game after only playing for 2 hours.

And what made you decide to post here anyways? what positive contribution did you expect to make by that? or did you just expect to express your opinion that nobody other than you cares about?

in rebuttle to your statement, is morrowind boring? at times, but what game isnt boring at times. is it stupid? no not at all, in fact its one of the most intelligently created games i ve played.

what makes people think its boring? often that its far to open and complex for most people who are used to linear story lines and structured gameplay. morrowind is in no way linear, and in no way structured. the only limitations upon you are the quests you wish to complete, and the physical limitations of your character ( even the limitation of gravity can be overcome after a while :p).

some people, like our friend here, either dont have the patience, or the intellect for this game. i beleive he leans more towards the latter.

if you dont like morrowind, thats fine. you dont have to like it. only a few of my friends like it. the rest find it far too intimidating or slow to start to catch their attention. but many people, like myself and many of the others in this thread, enjoy this game thoroughly.
so have your opinion, but dont try to apply it to me. just because you think this game sucks duznt mean i do, or even that anybody other than yourself does.

I'm still playing this damn game!:D
whats worse is that now i have gotten to the point that i can stop for awhile and do other things, like the crimson skies mod for HW2, the rest of my mod team has been infected by this curse.
and so now i can't get anything out of them! hahaha!

top ten signs you've been playing too much morrowind.
10. s'wit and n'wah are now perfectly valid insults.
9. you've wrapped your ball cap in plastic and now refer to it
as your "enchanted helm".
8. jumping everywhere you go and can't understand why you're tired and not able to jump any higher the next day.
7. confused why "it would break the prophesy and plunge the world into eternal darkness" is not a valid excuse to miss work.
6. actually asked the kid that works the sporting goods department where they keep the "daedric" arrows.
5. caught someone taking something off your desk and began chasing them around the office screaming "now you die you swit!" over and over.
4. you tried to convince your wife that you couldn't do the laundry because you haven't leveled up enough to get past the greater bone walker in the basement.
3. giving cops the items you stole and a little cash does NOT get you off the hook.
2. think its unfortunate that "what kajit do for you?" is not a good pick up line.

and the number one sign you've been playing too much morrowind.....
1. you have updated your resume' to include your character stats.

:D :rolleyes: :eek: ;) :p

no, you know you play too much morrowind when you do something cool or hard during the day, and you reach for the quick save button.

and yes i've ACTUALLY done that. i felt SO sad lol. thats when i stopped playing for the first time.

seriously, how cool would that be if you could just quickload life?

well am sorry captain shifty but i never knew you would take it soo personal. i just said a comment. which is in a way true. well am really sorry man but i had no clue that you were sooo lets say connected with this game. many ppl told me that the games that i play sucked, but i didn,t go on shouting about it. it's just a normal comment.that's all. no need for this attitude. ok am sorry. but don,t make a scene out of it ok
? were all cool. and for god sake lets not be that angry for just a game.am sorry . wow if i knew you were (in love with the game) i would not even post on this thread. i just thought that we were free to expres are selves. but on a sertent point offcource. anyway

Asteras said:
well am sorry captain shifty but i never knew you would take it soo personal. i just said a comment. which is in a way true. well am really sorry man but i had no clue that you were sooo lets say connected with this game. many ppl told me that the games that i play sucked, but i didn,t go on shouting about it. it's just a normal comment.that's all. no need for this attitude. ok am sorry. but don,t make a scene out of it ok
? were all cool. and for god sake lets not be that angry for just a game.am sorry . wow if i knew you were (in love with the game) i would not even post on this thread. i just thought that we were free to expres are selves. but on a sertent point offcource. anyway

Dude you dont go into a thread and say this sucks why do people play this game. It would be just like me going to a dbz forum and say dbz is a retarded show (your avatar used to be of dbz nature)

We have rules on this forum, try going into the intel forum and making a thread titled "AMD is better, people who used intel are dumb"

i didnt take you insulting a good game personal, i took you being a jackass in my thread personal. why bother posting anything at all if all ur gunna say is some anti BS. if you dont have anything positive to say about anything dont bother wasting our time.

Awsome! I guess my pc or this game dosent like audigy 2, cause every once in a while I get a nice error where the sound freezes and chops up, and it corrupts my save files :).

probably just needs a patch.

i need a bigger hard drive so i can play this game:).

too much space taken up by my movies and games. like neverwinter nights...such an awsome game:)

speaking of which, anybody happen to have an extra nwn or expansion cd key? i cant find mine anywhere, and i had to use a fake one to play with my friend last night

hi again. look guys. i don't like to be rude. and i don't like to have enemies. so i'm sorry . the game doesn't suck. it was just my personal opinion. and it was stupid. so do you wanna forget all this and be friends?

Hey anybody in house Hlaalu? I have my stronghold now, completed! But my question is, the mine I had to cure of blight, why dosent it have those miners I recruted? I wanna make some cash of that stronghold, but I have no clue where the gold goes either :-/.

Back