• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Most powerful BTX form factor PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The W380 supports the Xeon X3470 according to official documents, and i don't know why it shouldn't support the X3480. Did you update the BIOS to the latest version yet?

The W280 supports the Core i7 870 and 880 ... Dunno why the 875k is not supported, again you should check for the latest BIOS. But generally FSC des not support the more exotic CPUs ... like Extreme or energy saver editions.

- - - Updated - - -

My latest addition is a DELL optiplex GX780 with DDR3 RAM and a Core 2 Duo Q9550 ... I have to test it yet, I got it fresh from scrap. If it is broken I will use the CPU in one of my Fujitsu-SIEMENS systems.

The Zotac GTX 1050(Ti) Mini fits in a Dell Optiplex Mini Tower with no mods, and runs off of the PCIe slot. It's 2 slots wide but has a single slot bracket, and is just about as long as the PCIe slot.

If you guys are into LGA1366 there's some interesting stuff going on with Dell T3500 at TechPowerUp forum. I guess it's kind of BTX based. Certainly not ATX.
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/throttlestop-overclocking-desktop-pcs.235975/

Last edited:
Just got a new PC from the trash container, for free of course: DELL 760 with Q9550, the second-best CPU of the Core 2 Quad series! 2,83GHz and 12MB L2-Cache. Not bad at all! My fastest CPU yet ... I pulled it out and put it into one of my Fujitsu-SIEMENS P5730 Minitowers ... runs like a champ!

Aside from the CPU socket not being at a 45 degree angle the Dell PowerEdge T110 II has a BTX like motherboard. It's LGA 1155 and not one of those SFF boards either.

Just got four new DELL Optiplex 780 and two 755 ... equipped with 2 x E8400, 2 x Q6600 and 2 x Q9650 ...

According to some reports I could even upgrade the DELLs with some Extreme series CPU, like the QX9770 ... can anybody confirm this? And what about a sticker-modded socket 771 Xeon (based on Core 2 architecture)?

Last edited:
Yes ... but I am very happy about the two Q9650 ... they still sell for 50 € apiece on ebay, and I got two for free! E8400 and Q6600 are also still very usable CPUs.

Just got four new DELL Optiplex 780 and two 755 ... equipped with 2 x E8400, 2 x Q6600 and 2 x Q9650 ...

According to some reports I could even upgrade the DELLs with some Extreme series CPU, like the QX9770 ... can anybody confirm this? And what about a sticker-modded socket 771 Xeon (based on Core 2 architecture)?

The Q9650 is about it for those. They have a 95W CPU limit that keeps the Extremes out. The 771 Xeons also. The 780 is nice though 16GB DDR3 RAM.
Here are the 780 builds
http://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Dell-OptiPlex-780/3883
Here are the 755s
http://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Dell-OptiPlex-755/3939
The Mini Towers can take a bigger PSU swap. Zotac GTX 1050(Ti) Mini is a good fit. 2 sot but single bracket.

I picked up an Dell XPS 420 for $50. Stuck in a QX9650 and a heatpipe cooler T9303 and Throttlestop overclocked it to 3.99GHz, Setfsb tweaked ti to 4.067 just to get 4GHz behind me. X38 chipset. I've done some cooling mods. 4.15GHz should be easy. That's a normal OC for the similar T3400. 4.333 is the next step from there. I have a Delll HD6990 to stuff in there also.

I'm working on a Dell T3500 workstation project. Technically not a BTX but I've got some photos up that you might enjoy.
I started a thread at TPU about overclocking locked BIOS computers with unlocked CPUs.
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/throttlestop-overclocking-desktop-pcs.235975/
the thread could be useful to anyone who manages to get an unlocked CPU running on a BTX. But we've gravitated towards unlocked LGA1366 Xeons lately.

I was playing around with an old BTX. Just thought I'd post it here. Picked up an Optiplex 380 for $20. Had to have it because it supports 120W Xeons. So X5470 swap, 8GB DDR3 1066 in 2 slots (because that's all there are). And an MSI GTX1060 3GB made single slot by cutting bracket in 1/2. Previosly I had a Q9505S running with a GTX1050Ti. The 3GB card seems to work better in the 8GB limited system.
Someone in India asked me about running a computer in 100*F. weather. I decided to try some of my BTX overclocking parts on the Xeon and see where I end up. D9729 Pentium4 cooler, and AFC1512DG 150x50mm 1.8A. fan. Then running Prime95 undervolted the 3.33Ghz Xeon down to 1.1125V. P95 Small FFTs and fan @ 2500RPM =52*C ( 2C@ 47*C), 1100RPM=57*C. Too bad the Q9505S 65W quad wasn't in there. I'm sure I have air in the TIM, I had to lift the heatsink to remove the old fan. I have better coolers but obviously not needed for this project.

I too have become a BTX junkie. I recently acquired a mint XPS 720 in silver stainless and found this forum/thread while searching the interweb for upgrade options. Guy I got it from (for $30) said it had been sitting in his garage for several years and he thought it had a bad motherboard which after some digging, turned out to be a dead CMOS battery. It shows to already had the A06 BIOS upgrade - and with a SSD install, she runs perfectly on Windows 10. Not bad for a thirty dollar purchase price and a $3 battery repair! I'm glad I found this thread and it's still breathing. Now for the upgrades to begin!

I too have become a BTX junkie. I recently acquired a mint XPS 720 in silver stainless and found this forum/thread while searching the interweb for upgrade options. Guy I got it from (for $30) said it had been sitting in his garage for several years and he thought it had a bad motherboard which after some digging, turned out to be a dead CMOS battery. It shows to already had the A06 BIOS upgrade - and with a SSD install, she runs perfectly on Windows 10. Not bad for a thirty dollar purchase price and a $3 battery repair! I'm glad I found this thread and it's still breathing. Now for the upgrades to begin!

Here's a thread that's useful for overclocking old Dells. There are a couple guys at OCN LGA775 Club that are actively playing with XPS systems.

I found a strange Dell Optiplex XE to play with. XE stands for extreme environment. It a POS machine and only comes in DT and SFF sizes. Up to 50*C. ambient rated. 4 phase VRM ( unheard of in an Opti),16GB DDR3 capacity, and a strange 24V. 3A. USB rail for barcode scanners that I will convert to a 12V. 6A. GPU rail. I got 3 of them for $20 ea. G41 chipset should allow an X5470 Xeon to run, But BIOS Mods.com lists a BIOS that might support a QX9650.
I've wanted a DT to play with because there's a Dell 90* full height GPU bracket I've been curious to try. ZotacGTX 1050Ti Mini, and MSI GTx1060 3GB OCV1 confirmed to fit ( with slight mods). I've replaced the coppper finsink with an Optiplex 745 DT pentium D heatpipe cooler, and a bigger front fan. The bracket eliminates the rear air outlets so I've put an Antec expansion slot blower in the PCI slot over the GPU, and I'm removing the PSU fan and putting a bigger extractor fan outside the case there to pull more air through the PSU. I'm not suggesting that any of this is a good idea. I'm just having fun here. I have a couple photos up at OCN LGA775 Club. I call it the POS project.

Here's how the Opti 380 mentioned earlier turned out.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11864164
The 34% ranking for that CPU is because it's being compared to 2 CPU systems with that proc. On the bar graph you can see it's in the mromal range for the 1 CPU configurations.

Last edited:
I got another BTX in. An XPS410 (for $10). This is an old Mid tower version of the Dimension E520. They came with PentiumD originally but can run 65nm C2X also. 4 phase VRM makes them overclock well, but QX6800 is really long in the tooth now. I have a Dell H2C peltier cooling setup for BTX. It might still be fun to see how far up the chart at CPUZ I can get one. My E520 was in 2nd place for a couple years there. The Mid Tower has room for 2 slot GPUs so I won't have to butcher any video cards for this.

The big problem whith BTX is that it isn't a real big improvment over ATX. ATX was such an improvement over AT that the switch over went fast.

My sons pc i built is a btx mb i think hp pro 6300 was the original pc. I put it in a atx mid tower with lots of work. He is gaming on it and has no problems. I added a 1060 6gb to the i5 3570 and 16gb ram it already had.

Attachments

• 20181219_170455-3024x2268.jpg
    20181219_170455-3024x2268.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 412
  • 20181219_102916-2268x3024.jpg
    20181219_102916-2268x3024.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 426
  • 20181219_170513-2268x3024.jpg
    20181219_170513-2268x3024.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 377
Last edited:
The big problem whith BTX is that it isn't a real big improvment over ATX. ATX was such an improvement over AT that the switch over went fast.

Actually BTX was a big improvement. But because it was controlled by Intel the aftermarket was afraid they would lose the ability to build clones, so they refused to adopt it. The OEMs took it over and used it for locked BIOS business computer with various proprietary features that made upgrading difficult. BTX was designed for faster clock speeds than ATX for Pentium 4 CPUs, and better VRM and CPU cooling. But Core 2 architecture and the OEMs never made much use of these features. The 45* CPU was for shorter traces to the chipset. A first step toward moving the MCH onto the CPU die. ATX was an open format,BTX was owned by Intel.
If you can find one that can run a QX9650 unlocked CPU they go right past 4GHz on air easily.
The ATX 24 pin power connector came from BTX.

Last edited:
My sons pc i built is a btx mb i think hp pro 6300 was the original pc. I put it in a atx mid tower with lots of work. He is gaming on it and has no problems. I added a 1060 6gb to the i5 3570 and 16gb ram it already had.

That's nice. I bet it was a project to get that Corsair PSU connected to the proprietary MB power connectors. There were a few 1156 BTX holdovers. userbenchmark.com shows those runnung an i7 3770K.
Throttlestop software can get control of Voltage and multiplier on an unlocked CPU from inside Windows. That's probably the latest series BTX I've ever seen.

I actually prefer it because I like the GPU to be facing up instead of down in the ATX cases, but the airflow issues have been apparently solved because there are more energy efficient chips available that use less heat
Ummm, sorry but that is flawed logic. Yes, there are many new, more energy efficient components that "generate" (not "use") less heat. But that "less heat" is related to the amount of energy consumed and how efficiently it uses it in relation to the amount of work it does. Understanding that relationship is important here.

So yes, there are more efficient CPUs, chipsets, GPUs and RAM too. But many today are MUCH MORE powerful devices able to do much more work for the amount of energy consumed, BUT they still generate a lot, if not just as much, if not even more heat in doing so. So the problem was not "solved" by more efficient components. In fact, the problem was not solved at all.

More energy-efficient components might have contributed to BTX failing to gain traction (at least in entry level, "office tasks" systems). But that was a very small contribution. The bigger reason was price. BTX cost more and money talks.

Another reason is case designers started investing and putting science to work and they started designing cases that provided better cooling. This included moving the ATX PSU to the bottom of the case and in many cases, providing the PSU with its own cool air intake vent. They incorporated cable management techniques so cables interfering with air flow was minimized. The SATA interface became standard, eliminating those big air flow blocking EIDE ribbon cables.

Remember when many of the earlier ATX cases came with just a single 80mm case fan in back and that was it? Case designers started designing cases that supported multiple large (120mm, 140mm and even larger) case fans in front to pull massive amounts of cool air in, and in back to exhaust massive amounts of heated air out.

Graphics card makers started adding better heatsinks and more effective fan support. Many started making double-wide cards and encased their heat generating GPUs in cowling, or designed the heatsink fins to channel the airflow across those heatsinks and straight out the back of the computer case - making the point the graphics cards were mounted upside down a moot point.

And did I mention that BTX cost more?

I'm afraid SATA also originated with BTX and was added to ATX later. I'm pretty sure if BTX cost more it wouldn't have survived for as many years as it did in every Optiplex office compiter Dell sold. If there is any place money talks it's in that market. But yes ATX recieved continuos development by the aftermarket and BTX didn't. It probably took them about 5 years to catch up.

Back