• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Most Ridiculous Motherboard Naming Ever

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
ECS...just... :facepalm: I heard about this on HWBot and had to post it. That they actually exist is unfathomable.

First off, they have a L337 series. Isn't that supposed to be 1337? isn't the whole point that you're using numbers instead of letters? 1 facepalm. :facepalm:

As part of that series is the not-yet-arrived-but-coming-soon "KILLSTEAL". I think that gets another facepalm for itself. 2 facepalms. :facepalm: :facepalm:

Then, in what has to be the worst product name I've ever heard, there is the GANK series. But wait, I'm not done. Within the GANK series is the GANK DOMINATION. 3 facepalms. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Then you have the....wait for it....GANK MACHINE. That's right, if you buy ECS, you can own your very own L337 GANK MACHINE. 5 facepalms. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Verdict? Godzilla facepalm.

Godzilla-Facepalm-godzilla-30354011-640-387.jpg

Omg lol. L337 GANK MACHINE lmao. For a second I thought it was April Fools Day.

Did you see the AGGRO coming soon? I like that one! lol

ECS is obviously making references to Anarchy Online.

Ganking leets is what one does when they're bored.

scrn0000.png

Last edited:
I assumed they were referencing MoBA games since they are so popular nowadays.

I can understand the L337 since that is correct.

What the hell does gank even mean?!

Domination and Machine sound fine.

If they called the boards L337 Domination and L337 Machine that would be fine IMO.

Makes sense. It's the GANK that makes it though. As far as I've ever known 'gank' means 'steal'. Apparently urban dictionary says there is an MMORPG definition:

3. gank

verb (Online, MMORPG usage)
1. To kill another player using a group of players
2. To kill another player using any means that places the played to be killed at a substantial disadvantage.

Widely popularised following the success of World of Warcraft, the word "gank" comes from "gang kill", used in earlier MMORPGs like Ultima Online. A gang kill occurs when a group (or gang) of players attack a single one and kill him/her with relative ease.

The meaning has now extended to any player kill where the killed player had little chance to avoid death.
"I was ganked by a level 60 horde"
"You had no chance to avoid that rogue! Ganked!"

Learn something new every day.

Back