• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard DAMN YOU!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GhostxNote

Registered
Hey guys, I have an issue.....

When building my new system I have come across a speed bump.

My mother board will not power on....

I have the power LED and everything plugged in.

The power supply is a Corsair TX 750W and the mother board is GIGABYTE GA-MA78LM

Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

MB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128408

I have everything plugged in and ready to go. However when I press the power button on the case, the LED flashes for a millisecond and doesnt power on. The CPU Fan, Graphics Card Fan and Power Supply Fan turn on for as quick as the LED flashed.

I just baught this motherboard....:confused:

Hey guys, I have an issue.....

When building my new system I have come across a speed bump.

My mother board will not power on....

I have the power LED and everything plugged in.

The power supply is a Corsair TX 750W and the mother board is GIGABYTE GA-MA78LM

Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

MB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128408

I have everything plugged in and ready to go. However when I press the power button on the case, the LED flashes for a millisecond and doesnt power on. The CPU Fan, Graphics Card Fan and Power Supply Fan turn on for as quick as the LED flashed.

I just baught this motherboard....:confused:

correct ram? Take the ram out and try booting to bios. If nothing check your wires again. You have the right plug, plugged into the 4 or 8pin on the motherboard?

EVERYTHING is plugged in. The 24Pin and 4pin are inserted correctly. Harddrive is plugged in correctly. RAM is the right type and inserted correctly. I can't boot into BIOs because my computer will NOT turn on. If i could log on...this wouldnt be an issue.

I tryed using another case just incase of faulty LED chords and power chords, but alas, same ****.

u dont have to have Hard drive plugged to enter bios...
remove cpu and re install it. It might not be perfectly seated...
When this is done remove all ram. Boot and see if any beep
nothing is happening? the motherboard might be dead on arrival = RMA
if u can use a another PSU , CPU , Video Card , Ram try them on the mobo...
Call this part Elimination Process

wait a minute.

Do you have the reset switch and power switch reversed?

im not sure what you guys mean....???

I'm almost 100% sure that i have everything plugged in where its supposed to....could you show me what you mean?

It sounds like something is shorting out.
Try to take the motherboard off and endust the back of it and the case.
also make sure you don't have any extra motherboard standoff's in the way

also, is the power supply set to 115V (in america that is)

try to use one stick of ram, than if that doesn't work try another stick of ram

is an extra plug touching the case. see if one of the extra plug's are shorting out

Check your motherboard manual. You need to make sure that your power jumper is plugged into the correct power connector or nothing will work. Here's an example:

6705d1224149893-attaching-front-panel-attaching-front-panel.jpg

Your computer would almost always do something, even if it didn't POST or run very long - I'm willing to be the issue is something power related at this point.

It sounds like something is shorting out.
Try to take the motherboard off and endust the back of it and the case.
also make sure you don't have any extra motherboard standoff's in the way

also, is the power supply set to 115V (in america that is)

try to use one stick of ram, than if that doesn't work try another stick of ram

is an extra plug touching the case. see if one of the extra plug's are shorting out

Im not sure what is set to. It doesnt say. This perticular PSU automatically adjusts the voltage. Im assuming its default voltage is 115V.

Ill trying dusting it off. I'm not using a case, im just using an open metal panel and setting the motherboard on top of it. and the powerbutton unit from my old case.

Im not sure what is set to. It doesnt say. This perticular PSU automatically adjusts the voltage. Im assuming its default voltage is 115V.

Ill trying dusting it off. I'm not using a case, im just using an open metal panel and setting the motherboard on top of it. and the powerbutton unit from my old case.

wait, open metal panel?
could you post pic's
I hope you don't have the motherboard sitting directly on top of a metal panel without standoff's
if you are, that is the problem most likely

wait, open metal panel?
could you post pic's
I hope you don't have the motherboard sitting directly on top of a metal panel without standoff's
if you are, that is the problem most likely

What are standoffs? I have them raised with 2 plastic DVD cases
Could this be an issue?

IMG_6805.jpg

these screw into the tray or the case of the computer, then you set the motherboard on the brass things and screw the motherboard to it using the supplied screws.

Ok, If the power sw connector is plugged into POW, and not PLED, and not the reset connector, and all else checks out, try adding a ground strap from the power supply to the backplate that your mainboard should be screwed onto....the mainboard needs grounding in certain places where the screws mount the board to the case...so if all you are using is the case backplate, then you will need to ground it to the power supply.
A lot of people forget this when trying to boot their boards out of the case..most of the time it will boot, but you can never be sure of the stability like that, unless it has proper grounding.
Could also be a DOA board :( (it happens)
Just go over the manual again, and compare the pic's to your connections to see if you might have missed something. Otherwise you may have to RMA

wait a minute.

Do you have the reset switch and power switch reversed?

You know that this wouldn't make any difference at all if it was plugged it this way or the proper way since both switches are the same...
ever tried to jump those power pins on a motherboard without a swich??
Which in your case you would have to keep the button pressed in at all times for your pc to stay on=not how case buttons work...

As for GhostxNote, your motherboard might be tast(DOA) since you encountered the main symptom of a dead motherboard(at least in my book it is).

What are standoffs? I have them raised with 2 plastic DVD cases
Could this be an issue?

Yes plastic carries an electrostatic charge across its surface hence ESD bags are made of plastic.

But it on some paper for now and see if it boots.

And guys... if he is getting a brief flash of power the power switch is inserted. Maybe backwards but not that kind of issue.

Does not mean everything else is of course

Strip it all down.. board on PAPER or card board.. .no plastic... dense styro is usually ok AFAIK and DEFINITELY not CD cases or an ESD bag...

one stick ram (AMD closest slot to CPU.. Intel i7, next closest slot)

no gpu.. cpu fan only..

hit hte power pins on your front panel motherboard header with a flat head screwdriver, pair of scissors, nail clippers, whatever conductive etal you have laying aroun.

IF it starts YEAH! all is good
if not...

oh.. there are special mem release bios features depending on board usually one stick in last slot.. on some board there is a memok button you can hold and wait a minute

seems to be AMD related.. which is why I suggest it. Mem related is usally hang not power on power off though. that sounds like a short.

UPDATE!!!!

I put everything back into the case.

I did what you said Necro and the board powered up. However, there was no display and the CPU fan did not spin. The Case fan did spin. The DVD drive will not open and it doesnt even seem to be on. I feel like this is a step toward diagnosing the problem but its a bit unsetteling.

I tryed another CPU fan and alas, it did the same thing. At one rare occasion, my original CPU fan did power on but there was no display appearing on my LCD screen so I shut the computer down and the cpu fan wouldnt power on afterwards. The usb ports worked fine because i have a backlit keyboard and the lights powerd on. Could it for whatever reason be the withering thermal paste on my CPU thats causing it to shut down power?

Lol, I have no clue

Last edited:
Ok, it seems like the universe hasnt been cutting me any slack in a while. I found out today that the CPU-FAN 4 pin isnt responding. I plugged the CPU fan into the SYS-FAN 4 pin and it worked fine, except still nothing booted up. Only the fans and the power supply.

Back