• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

motherboard died, should I risk cpu usage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

My psu catastrophically failed on me this week. Replaced it with a Seasonic m12 620w. For a minute, everything seemed to be running smoothly. All other components are installed in my intel system, and working perfectly, so the problem is 100% the motherboard. ... BUT is it possible that the cpu was damaged? If it were damaged, it wouldn't have worked with new psu correct?

I'll probably just get a sabertooth, but I really don't want to risk it if the cpu could be bad as well. Any thoughts?

Replace motherboard first as that'll be the cheapest, then if not, replace CPU, my motherboard died due to it getting "shocked" so replaced it with this one I have now (ASRock which is a massive FAIL)

As I said, Im pretty sure the PSU went out with a "bang" so to speak. The timing is just too incredibly coincidental.

The reason I ask, is because if the CPU is toast, I'll get a 46x0k and call it a day.

edit: almost pisses me off at how reliable this crappy little intel is lol

There's really only one way to know for sure Bob and that's to try it in another board. As far as I know there's no tricks or shortcuts to tell weather or not it works. You don't have an old board to test it I'm assuming? How about a buddy?

CPUs are pretty tough these days. I'm thinking it would be safe to try the CPU on a new board.

My psu catastrophically failed on me this week. Replaced it with a Seasonic m12 620w. For a minute, everything seemed to be running smoothly. ?

Okay to make sure I can read writen.

1. Power supply died.

2. Replaced power supply. System booted and ran for just a minute? Then would not work again.

3. All other parts are in another system except the cpu and all the other pieces seem good.

4. Did my cpu die with the P/S failure or just the mobo since the system booted for a minute with new power supply but now nothing works again even with new power supply.

5. If you are sure the mobo is now bad after P/S failure, then I would replace it and have no real fear to try the old cpu in the new board. A cpu would have to have died in a very odd way to be able to kill a new mobo. But a failed mobo and power supply can often take out a cpu. So I feel testing cpu in new mobo for me is a done deal. However many have thought me > :screwy:
RGone...

Possible? Absolutely.
Likely? Hard to say, it's pretty random.
It's quite possible that the motherboard failed and killed the PSU, too.

When you say "for a minute", how long do you mean?
Did you get display output?

Possible? Absolutely.
Likely? Hard to say, it's pretty random.
It's quite possible that the motherboard failed and killed the PSU, too.

When you say "for a minute", how long do you mean?
Did you get display output?

I went out got the seasonic PSU, came home, plugged everything in, and it was really good for a few hours. Everything appeared 100% functional... then it just started falling apart. I was dinking around with GPU settings, and it just froze and restarted on its own. Then it kept freezing in bios. I reset cmos, did all the testing with components, then nothing worked anymore, no power to usb, no sata reading, then the display stopped working... the whole thing died.

What I'm thinking, if the PSU damaged the CPU, I would have seen that more on the immediate side of things, correct?

That's really weird, actually.
Generally speaking if a PSU failure is going to kill something it does it immediately. Pretty much regardless of what it is that it killed.

Have you tested the Seasonic PSU? Everybody, even awesome manufacturers like Seasonic, put out duds sometimes.

I'm thinking the other way. The board is killing the PSU.
CPU's are tough. It's probably fine.

That's really weird, actually.
Generally speaking if a PSU failure is going to kill something it does it immediately. Pretty much regardless of what it is that it killed.

Have you tested the Seasonic PSU? Everybody, even awesome manufacturers like Seasonic, put out duds sometimes.

its currently powering my intel system with no issues what so ever. I promise that other PSU is toast. How would the motherboard kill the PSU? Pulling too many amps/volts??? It worked great for so long... and soon as the PSU dies, the motherboard craps out shortly after.

All of this happend very shortly after installing my 270x. Do you think that the extra juice simply pushed it over the cliff?

Back