• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard for Phenom II 970 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

varunshetty2893

I'm looking to set up a budget gaming rig that can accommodate the coming generation(1.5 - 2 years) of games(even if at low settings).

After a lot of comparing, I picked Phenom 1090T over the FX series and eventually, after reading a lot of the threads on this forum, settled for a Phenom II 970 BE since a lot of people said it's only marginally lesser than the 1090T in terms of performance.

What I'm looking for is to be able to use Crossfire to accomodate the games that come out in a year or so, under the assumption that the HD6570 1GB DDR3 I'm buying might not be enough at that point in time. In which case I could use the added functionality of the integrated card. I have picked this Gigabyte board as of now - http://bit.ly/OHhauZ

Will it be sufficient for what I want of my PC? And under what power supply/cooling conditions could I overclock this rig?
Also looking at 8 gigs of RAM (Corsair) and a 1 TB HDD, if that helps. Thank you.

My suggestion would be to move up to an 990FX board because it woud likely be more compatible with the currrent FX Bulldozer CPUs as well as the PIledriver.

My suggestion would be to move up to an 990FX board because it woud likely be more compatible with the currrent FX Bulldozer CPUs as well as the PIledriver.

The problem is that I'm on a strict budget and a 990FX would cost twice as much this one. Would an ASUS M5A97 suffice? It costs about a 1600 rupees more( about $30). I am only 18 and it's all the money i've saved, and to be honest, there isn't much there :p so the budget bit of this is a very strict price so I might have to cut down on heatsink/cabinet or the likes to accommodate anything more.

Also, the GPU I'm getting reccomends a 400W power supply. I have a 450W SMPS from an old system that is only about a month old. Could I use that in this rig?

Back