• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

motherboard go kaaplooie!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vekz

Registered
:bang head

all the cylindrical can looking things on my motherboard look like cans of pop about to explode. The mother board is dead. So, how would i go about identifying motherboard? I threw out the cpu boxes years ago when i moved into my place.

thanks for any responses.

boomer

ffbk88.jpg
[/IMG]

o.k. now i see very clearly (cant believe i didnt see it earlier :shrug:) that its an asus p5b deluxe, the chip in her is an LGA 775.
I know its a real old one...... but i can be a pretty stubborn guy at times, and i'm not ready to leave it behind and move on just yet. :screwy:
Also, i'm partly driven by the idea that the I.T guy at my wifes work told me it wouldn't be worth it to replace it. i think hes full of crap, and i'm pretty determined to prove it :attn: . plus the wifes pressuring to just get rid of it.
Now that i know what type of board i need, i've been searching them, they are pretty rare, going for $50 buck and up where i do find them. refurbished at that.
I guess i want to know if its fine to purchase such an old motherboard? Though it is real cheap in comparison to a new and current one. At the moment i cannot shell out the cash to buy a good one to replace her. (her name was "Boomer" just like LT. Sharon Valerii from BSG, thats right i named her.)
I suppose it'd be also good to know what other boards are just as compatible. that would help broaden my search.
Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks.

Ok, the "cylindrical can looking things" are capacitors. If they're swollen and look like they're going to pop are a clear indication they are bad and need to be replaced.

If you're good at soldering then it's a pretty easy fix. You'll have unsolder the damaged ones and resolder the new ones in their places. The new capacitors must match the old ones on the board.

If the board is dead, then your best bet is to replace the board, which is the easiest way to get your machine up and running again providing of course the rest of the parts ie; cpu, ram, video card are not dead.

Yikes.soldering sounds intimidating. Would I possibly have to worry about capacitors that are blown and don't show damage on the outside, but are just as cooked on the inside?

Yep, that sounds like bad capacitors to me.

It's not too difficult to replace the bad ones, it just takes some time (and the right tools and knowledge) to do it right. I've replaced caps on a few boards with similar problems.

There's generally little if any problems with purchasing boards of that age, I've bought pre-owned/used boards from 2003-2006 with few if any problems.

So, is your board not booting up at all (no POST screen or power lights), or is it just crashing and shutting down, or what then are it's symptoms?

Think I'd rather buy a new one.
Yeah, I think that it wouldn't boot up at all. I don't even think it would turn on......

So, i realize this might be an impossibly vague question but, are there other motherboards that are out there built possibly by Asus' competition that are equally compatible? Know what i mean? If Acer, or Gigabyte Technologies made a motherboard that ran as the competition to the Asus p5b Deluxe. Heck, if Asus made a p5b motherboard that wasn't "deluxe" id search that.

Thanks for every ones help so far.
So what happens next when I get this thing? Is it just as easy as disconnect everything from the old motherboard, and attach everything to the new one? Everything should snap in place like a lego set?

WHOAH! you're good.

Why thank you :D

Thanks for every ones help so far.
So what happens next when I get this thing? Is it just as easy as disconnect everything from the old motherboard, and attach everything to the new one? Everything should snap in place like a lego set?

Yup. Easy peasy. Providing of course the other parts are still good. You shouldn't have any problems ;)

Hi, Nebulous pointed me out to an eBay listing for the motherboard I need, at about the same time I had put out a kijiji ad asking for one. A dude just responded the other day that he has an Asus p5k motherboard, (I'm looking for a p5b deluxe) so what I'm now asking is, if this board would be compatable with the components on my board? And also if it is a better board as this kijiji seller is saying?

Last edited:
Is there a tool/website/app of some sort that will list all items compatible with each item of a computer?
IE: i search a motherboard and it shows which cpu, graphics card, sound card, etc. is compatible with the searched motherboard?

Is there a tool/website/app of some sort that will list all items compatible with each item of a computer?
IE: i search a motherboard and it shows which cpu, graphics card, sound card, etc. is compatible with the searched motherboard?

Match the numbers. If you have an LGA1150 CPU, you need an LGA1150 motherboard.

If you have a PCIe GPU, you need a PCIe slot to put it in.

Look at motherboard manufacturers lists for full compatibility of CPU/RAM.

Check out pcpartpicker.com also, it does some of what you want.

hi. im reviving this s.o.b.
could i also simply swap out that mobo with a compatible one, even if its not the same one, but one relatively similar, and even if it doesn't have the same chip, replace that too? - that could work too right??
Or if worst came to worst, somehow get the pics off the old pc? and if that's possible with out the need for tony stark lab equipment? cause then maybe i could finally bury he old pc.

Back