• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bburrill2012

So i RMA'd my board because the VRMs made a loud rattling whinning noise under load and the voltage and temp sensors were out of whack.

Got my new board and one of the PCI E 16x slots doesnt work which is fine because I only have one gfx card and dont plan on ever having 2.

But when I overclock with the new board I cannot use fsb to OC. It has to be at 200. I wanted to use my old OC setup but cant figure it out.

I tried 215x21 (even tried 210) with cpu/nb and ht link at 2150 and ram was at 2005 (which shouldnt be the cause of the problem I am having) and when I go to save and exit, my computer shuts off and when it comes back on it only comes on for 2-3 seconds and shuts back off. Cant turn the computer back on without turning off the switch on the psu and then back on. Then why I turn the computer back on it does it again, comes on for 2-3 seconds and shuts back off. Have to clear cmos to get back into bios.

Anyone know what could cause this?? I dont mind using 200x22.5 or 23 but I like to use 215x21 because I get better fps in bf3 and better read/write with memory.

I am thinking about RMA'ing again if I cant figure it out.

You don't make any mention of a problem with the first board being able to use some FSB overclocking.

First board went to RMA for noise in VRM circuit.

A board returns from RMA and it has no rattling VRM circuit but has issues with using FSB adjustments and a bad PCI-e slot.

That sounds like a bad board came to you from RMA.

Thats what I was thinking.. This has been the third time I RMA'd. At least they cross ship so I dont have to wait 3-4 weeks. I might RMA again. I just hate spending almost $20 to keep shipping them back to california.

And you are correct I did not have any overclocking problems with the first board that I RMA'd.

You need to always write down the serial number of the board you send in for RMA and even take good close-up pictures of the mobo, so you don't get caught in a jam like some have during an RMA process. Having that sort of documentation can save your booty at times. Of course it depends on what the RMA process tries to do to you but there are reasons to have those forms of documentation.

It's also a good idea to write down the serial number of the motherboard because sometimes they will send you the same board back saying nothing was wrong with it when in fact there was and other times they say they fixed it when in fact they didn't.

Those are excellent points ya'll but every time I have done an RMA on this board (this will be the third RMA, so fourth board) they have always cross shipped. I explained to the CSR that I work from home and cant be without a computer for more than a week (which is total BS) but I dont want to wait the 5 days it takes the MB to get there and then the 5-7 days it takes for them to actually process the RMA and then another 5-10 days it takes for slow *** fedex ground to get another one back to me. So they have always cross shipped. And this time I finally got them to send me a return label so I dont have to pay for this one.

And even though you two made valid points, each board that has come back to me has had different problems, none that were the same.

From the emails she sends me when the new board ships is this..

"Your replacement had been shipped on **/**/****, FedEx tracking # **************

Our technician tested the replacement under below conditions, and it passed.

Under Windows
BIOS version was updated to the latest version.
LAN, sound, and video"

So they dont fully test the board it seems. For example, VRMs making noise, a bad pci express x16 slot, whether or not it can or will OC properly etc...

I just want to really know if the boards they send back to me are "new" or if they are "previous RMA'd boards that they supposedly have fixed"

Back