• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard Lights Up But Doesn't Turn On

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sanufdutta

It worked just fine a year ago now it does not. I used the paper clip method to check the PSU and it spun up and turned on but when the PSU is plugged into the motherboard it will have a green light on the motherboard and when you press the power button on the tower it does not turn on everything is plugged in right.

It is a custom built pc with a xion soloris case and a P4G8X motherboard.

Help me out?

Blog: Assault Bikes

Last edited:
Wow that's a pretty ancient setup. That board most likely died of old age and gave up the ghost. P4 platform has been dead for well over a decade. That setup of yours has lived a full life, time for an upgrade. Don't bother trying to save a sinking ship by tossing money at it.

if your determined to get it running i would start troubleshooting with the mb. like Neb said its an ollld set up and likely died of old age. i would look for bulging caps and burn marks on the mb. if you dont see any obvious issues i would look at the gpu as well. for the same types of problems. if you can, try running the gpu in another rig. you could also check for shorts by running the system outside of the case with the bare minimum of components. gl!

since its that old most likely caps, if you want to keep it you probably need a full recap of mobo and psu. However before you would even reconsider such a drastic step (you require some decent soldering equipement for it) first follow the steps which Nebulous/maxfly already suggested by looking for scorch marks, burned traces, replace CMOS & reset it and deep scratches on your mobo (sometimes this can happen due to huge amounts of dust in your computer). then check your PSU for the same issues. GPU could be the problem aswell but same procedure.
anyhow I would suggest upgrading unless you want to keep it as a retro computer as for which I would advice a more drastic strategy:
- full recap of the motherboard (only if the caps are the reason of the mobo being dead and first only replace the bulging ones)
- full recap PSU (or buy a new one dunno how heavy the P4 relied on the 5V rails, since I used ahtlon in that era for obvious reasons :D )
- recapping GPU
- replace all thermal paste (use a soldering iron to heat the heatsinks and gently turn the heatsinks WITHOUT Any force untill it lets loose)
- thorough cleaning of all parts (bath all parts in Isopropanol and spray off remaing dust with same stuff)

Back