• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djzachtyler

Hello all,

ok so first post for yall... Not a total noob to OC-ing, but have not played with it since the OG athlon XP processors so def a bit out of date with the new motherboards out there with all these fancy new settings they come with.

In a nutshell I have had a computer that has been evolving from an Athlon II x2 5400+ 64 bit prcessor with PC4200 DDR2 memory yanked from a gateway POS my lil brother blew up.

I had initially started with a new power supply and an Asus M4A785-M MoBo (as I am a huge ASUS fan). I had chosen this board as it was fully forward compatible and would allow me an easyy upgrade path later on. Now being "later on" I have upgraded to an AMD Phenom II x4 955 processor running with Kingston HyperX PC8500 DDR2 (KHX8500D2K2/4G) I have all 4 banks filled for 8GB total ram. I did my due dilligence checking QVL (qualified vendor lists) for my MoBo and based my choices from there.

After running CPUID I notice that naturally I was not quite getting the most out of my hardware as I never bothered to update settings in BIOS. I also noted that my new Kingston Memory was not showing correctly (due to the stock MoBo settings forcing it to show as PC6400 as it was undervolted etc. Known issue and to be expected)

After practicing due dilligence and mailing Kingston support to get their recommended timings and voltage for the memory I configured the BIOS settings for memory and got NADA... memory still showed as being 6400... sytem became unstable even with incresed voltage to ram etc.

What I would like to know are either if anyone mihgt have worked with a similar rig in the past and have any timing Ideas for the HT CPU and memorty settings I should work around, or possibly a slightly more overclock friendly motherboard that will play nice with the memory and processor I have.

All I am looking for is median settings to get this system performing at it's best. It is a DAW computer so I am not in need of the latest and greatest gaming stuff, just making music and surfin the net.

Component list:

-Asus M4A785-M with integrated ATI Radeon HD4200 graphics chipset & Crossfire (disbaled as crossfire disables the other card when both are active)
-AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition Processor
-8 GB Kingston KHX8500D2K2/4G PC28500 DDR2
-ATI Radeon HD4350 add in PCI-e card
-400GB Seagate Barracuda HDD 7200 RPM Sata 2
-1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 7200 RPM Sata 2
-600 Watt PS ( I think... will get the full details on this when I get home I just know I bought this awhile back to suppott my old ATI card that required a separate power plug)
-Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Thanks in advance for any insoght and help!!! If you guys need screen shots I can take em and email em at any time :)

Glad to be here and look forward to learning and sharing hwat I do know. If anyone EVER needs Windows server, Exchange or Desktops support, or general technical questions I am aleways happy to offer my assistance in rerturn in helping solve corporate and end user issues :)

Last edited:
got my memory issue resolved turns oput cool n quiet was enabled in BIOS. still some work to do tho as this system board doesn't allow me to set the CMD to 1, but making headway. any suggestions on NB, HT, and best CPU frequencies o& Voltages?

Back