• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goalieman59

Registered
I am looking to pick up a new mother board to run an i5-3570K, I am going to be running two GTX 670 FTW cards SLI, I would like to have the ability to add video cards if i choose too. Also i would like for my current set up to run the two cards at PCI-e 3.0 x16. Do anyone have any suggestions on what board(s) i should be looking at.

Here was my first thought http://microcenter.com/product/393140/Z77_FTW_LGA_1155_Z77_ATX_Intel_Motherboard_-_151-IB-E699-KR
but i have read a lot of bad reviews on it.

If you want to go more than two video cards, you'll probably have to go with an AMD CPU and a 990FX board or step up to X79. Or if you want to run two at x16.

How many monitors are you running (wondering why the want/need for tri SLI)? Why do you insist on PCIe3 both at 16x (which I dont think can be done on Z77, you will have to step up to X79) when performance at 8x with a 680 is less than 1% loss?

Are you getting these things for the right reasons is what I am getting at... :)

I am running a 4 monitor setup right now, and the issue is on my current board the sata III ports and the PCIe slots are sharing channels and i seem to get get some lag when i have a lot going on on the screen.

P.S. That top monitor is now a 24" to match the rest.

Attachments

• monitors.jpg
    monitors.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
I would think a board with a PLX chip should help out, if not X79 as it has more native lanes on the CPU and that would be your best bet.

Well it said PCI-E 3.0 x 16 = 3 and PCI-E 2.0 X 2 and x 8 = 2 So as you can see its some what confusing reading the Spec sheet lol. But still go well with his 2 cards and his i5-3570k no problems there i don't think?

And as for the reviews i have read and seen x16 to x8 well most of the time you would not notice it!

Last edited:
The OP requires, for some reason, 2 PCIe3 16x slots. On the Z77 platform that can only happen with a PLX chip on the motherboard as Ivybridge only has 16 lanes native to the CPU. So no matter what on a board without a PLX chip, with two cards it will break down to 8x/8x. The PLX chip makes more lanes for this, or as was stated above a couple times, go X79 as it natively has more lanes on the CPU.

Spec sheet is clear:

Expansion Slots
2 x PCIe x16 Gen3 (x16, x8/8)
1 x PCIe x16 Gen2 (x4)
1 x PCIe x1 Gen2
2 x PCI
1 x mini PCIe

Well thanks for the heads up and clarification on that point i will bear that in mind for next time. AJ.

Just FYI, according to GPUZ, and remember my cards are not optimally placed as I can't used the last slot at the bottom, my 3 cards are running at:
PCIe x16 3.0 @x16 3.0
PCIe x16 3.0 @x8 3.0 (equivalent of PCIe x16 2.0)
PCIe x16 2.0 @x16 2.0

Mine's an Asus Rampage IV Extreme, if you want a good OC'ed, this and the Asrock X79 Extreme11 are the boards to check out. I just realized OCing my CPU with this board is a piece of cake, same goes with my Asus Crosshair V Formula + FX8120, have my FX @4.2ghz easy, while my 3960X is sitting pretty @4.75ghz. BTW, my avaatar's not just 'coz it purdy, I'm a ROG fanboy I am! :D

Fanboyism isn't something to be proud of. :p

If you're not putting a ROG board under dry ice/LN2/other forms of subzero cooling, you're not using it to it's potential.

Same as the general opinion, OP you need to upgrade to X79 if you want to get a 3 way SLI setup running @ 16x 3.0

if you only want a 2 way SLI setup running @ 16x 3.0 get a z77 board with a PLX chip.

Those are the only options available to you that will meet you requirement. Period.

Back