• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard Testing Outside Of Case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dorito Bandit

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, wasn't sure where to put it.

Anyway, my motherboard will be here within a day or so and I won't have a case for a few days (possibly longer) to put my components into, but would still like to test all of them for problems while waiting. Is it okay to do this? Does the motherboard need to be grounded (screwed into a case) or will it be okay by simply laying it on top a cardboard box or wooden desk? Your help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You can assemble it on top of the motherboard Box and just check things out! Just do not have any foil bags or any kind of metal near you Mobo to short it out that's all.

If your lucky to have a Start and Reset buttons on your Mobo you can use those, if not just find the 2 pins. Where you would attach your front cable buttons to and carefully short those out with a Small Screwdriver, but double check first they are the correct ones!!

EDIT: Double check your Manual first!!

AJ.

Last edited:
You can assemble it on top of the motherboard Box and just check things out! Just do not have any foil bags or any kind of metal near you Mobo to short it out that's all.

If your lucky to have a Start and Reset buttons on your Mobo you can use those, if not just find the 2 pins. Where you would attach your front cable buttons to and carefully short those out with a Small Screwdriver, but double check first they are the correct ones!!

EDIT: Double check your Manual first!!

AJ.

Thanks for your help, guys! I am getting the ASUS Z87-PRO (V EDITION) board and it has a power on switch.

Carefully put the CPU and Ram and other components together, then double check that all is OK before you press the power button right! And make sure you have your CPU Cooler all hooked up as well, yeah i have seen funny things happen before now!!

Carefully put the CPU and Ram and other components together, then double check that all is OK before you press the power button right! And make sure you have your CPU Cooler all hooked up as well, yeah i have seen funny things happen before now!!

Thanks for the advice! Will do.

By the way, the motherboard I am getting is an open box motherboard from Newegg and I was wondering if I should reset the BIOS before installing any components? Here is the Specs of the motherboard.

I would just see if it boots up first, then update your Bios if it does.

My CPU is an i7-4771 (Non-K), which is not an over-clockable CPU. I was just thinking that if the motherboard was previously used the BIOS may have some high over-clocked settings that could potentially damage my CPU or other components. I am unsure about this and just trying to be cautious.

Thanks, man!

They reset the cmos. If it doesn't boot, then reset it. Update after windows is installed if you want.

Guys, I am about to power up my motherboard outside of the case and have another question.

I only have the CPU and stock heatsink installed and my 2 sticks of RAM. I do not have a hard drive or GPU installed yet. Is it okay to test the motherboard without them installed? I am just trying to see if my motherboard powers on and boots into the BIOS.

Thanks in advance!

I thought you were using the P9x79 Pro your mobo spec link you posted is z87pro socket 1150 the P9X79 is 2011, you have a nice system built and with the P9X79 Pro you can flash your bios before it boots up by getting the latest bios from Asus saving it to a usb drive, (put it in the root and not in a folder) in the I/O panel there is a usb port that says "bios" put the usb drive there, and on the board near the usb connectors is a push button switch that says "flash bios" push that button the battery or plug in the power cord, after you push the button the light will flash when the light stops flashing the bios is updated, nice feature I say,

Just be sure that the motherboard sits on a non-conductive surface (no metal) that also won't generate static electricity. If your motherboard was packed with foam sheet, put the motherboard on top of that. If you have any pink anti-static foam sheet or anti-static bubble wrap, that's OK to use, too. Put all that on a wooden table or a thick layer (at least 1/2" to 3/4" thick) of newsprint (no shiny paper), dull brown paper, or dull brown cardboard.

Some people may recommend putting the motherboard on top of the bag it was packed in, but that's safe only if the bag is pink anti-static plastic. Metallic plastic bags are usually anti-static only on the inside, so you should turn them inside out. However then they may conduct electricity too well and cause shorts, but I've never been able to measure conductivity of any transparent metallic bag, even by scraping through its outer layers.

The motherboard gets grounded through its power supply connections, so you don't need to ground it any other way.

Some motherboards will boot but will do a beep code for no video, if no video card is in installed.

Typically I use an old motherboard box or a piece of cardboard underneath the board. Been running one system for about six months on a piece of cardboard.

Thank you all for the help! I have it up and running on top of the big Newegg brown box it came in. This is temporary of course. I have a small selection of cases I am interested in and one of them has yet to be released (February 14) and is why I am waiting.

So far, the motherboard is running great! Haven't had any issues at all. I love it!!

Some motherboards will boot but will do a beep code for no video, if no video card is in installed.

Typically I use an old motherboard box or a piece of cardboard underneath the board. Been running one system for about six months on a piece of cardboard.

You are so Gangsta! :thup:

I seen members mount there motherboard to some MDF BOARD, just find a way of attaching the Stand Off's. That is all you really need, and it will run a lot cooler than any case will. You can buy Fan holders to mount your 120 mm fans to for cooling your VRM SECTION on the board as well fairly cheap to do.

AJ.

I seen members mount there motherboard to some MDF BOARD, just find a way of attaching the Stand Off's. That is all you really need, and it will run a lot cooler than any case will. You can buy Fan holders to mount your 120 mm fans to for cooling your VRM SECTION on the board as well fairly cheap to do.

AJ.

Have a look at this masterpiece! :rofl:

4z0v9nyfzn_2krota.ru.jpg

Very funny Dorito, i see they have not loss there sense of humor in Georgia my friend!! :D :thup:

Back