• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mounting Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crapxxas119

I am currently converting my laptop into a desktop because it overheated and i got it to open bios (When on a cardboard box and with some improvised heatsinks from my dimension) so its still alive after sitting for a while (4ish years). I am doing this because i want it to be easy to mount another heatsink and now i can put a bigger one so i dont have space issues. The problem is, i dont know what to mount it on. I have no mounting hardware and i need some cuttable surface that i can put the mobo on.

Particle board would do the trick. Simple enough to work with, smooth, no splinters. I would use that, bolts, and plastic spacers.

Acrylic, lexan, or plexi could work also, but the plastics are trickier to work with.

Well, with my heatsink that i tried, it still overheated and i dont want to pay for a new one meant for the laptop knowing that the laptop is an old computer. I am just going to call it quits...

It was tight, but i think that the heatpipe was bent too much and that killed it. I dont think its worth it to pay for the one that was given with the laptop so i just gave up...

Actually, i have a friend with a dead pc so i am going to use those heatsinks and fans and to mount the heatsink im gonna have to drill and for the gpu im making thermal adhesive.

Well, i got the heatsinks and i plopped them on with ca glue and my thermal compound. The heatsink is really heavy and i dont think i could have drilled through the heatsink to mount it. I decided that the heatsink/fan would be touching the bottom of the case.
And this will probably end up more like a building log, but it will mostly be about the case from now on.
How do i post pics?

No, no...
I used thermal compound and some superglue to make thermal adhesive. because i needed it to hold the graphics heatsink on.

Here are the pics of it caseless. I still need the gpu fan...

Attachments

• DSCN0720.JPG
    DSCN0720.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 92
  • DSCN07182.jpg
    DSCN07182.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 101
  • DSCN07212.jpg
    DSCN07212.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 90
  • DSCN07222.jpg
    DSCN07222.jpg