• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MS Office 2013 H&S vs Office 365

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TeknoBug

I have been looking at both versions of Office and wonder which would matter more for me, Office 2013 Home & Student is $139 and Office 365 is $99 with a 1 year subscription.

The subscription bit on the 365 bugs me, there's enough things I pay a sub for already and having to pay a sub to use something you need for work and such. However the one thing nice about 365 is being able to install it up to 10 systems (and use it on the smartphone), I have Office 2010 on 2 systems and can't install anymore of them until I buy another copy. What I DON'T like is the cloud stuff, I do not like to put stuff up on the internet especially sensitive documents, if I need to transfer files they're going on an encrypted flash stick, I'm that paranoid about internet security. Then again that's likely just an option.

With Office 2013, as far as I know it's just 1 PC install.

Anyone have any input on both?

:shrug: ↓ 365 has $ going out of pocket every year. 2013 does not.

Attachments

• Office2013VS365.png
    Office2013VS365.png
    70.3 KB · Views: 729
I remember reading that MS relaxed their 1 PC rule on the Office 2013. Personally I paid for one copy and have it installed on both my desktop and laptop, tied into my same MS Live account.

Wow, I didn't even know there was a subscription version of Office, one more way M$ can get our money I guess. If they come out with a new version you would get it as well by the looks of it which isn't bad but for the length of time one could use Office versions varies by person so the value there is debatable. I still use my 2003 install just fine. The multi-pc option isn't a bad perk but it would depend on how often you have to have office on multiple pcs. Personally I really only use Office on one of my machines for the most part so for me still not worth it. Plus if you use Thunderbird for mail you wouldn't need H&B so the cheaper will work. All that along with the fact that I'm not a big fan of subscriptions I would say go for the H&S.

On a side note. Have you tried to call the M$ number that comes up when you try to activate it when doing a new install? Tell them it's a new build and they usually give you a new code. It's been a while since I've done a new install but I assume it still works...maybe?

I remember reading that MS relaxed their 1 PC rule on the Office 2013. Personally I paid for one copy and have it installed on both my desktop and laptop, tied into my same MS Live account.

Oh that's interesting, not a bad idea.
On a side note. Have you tried to call the M$ number that comes up when you try to activate it when doing a new install? Tell them it's a new build and they usually give you a new code. It's been a while since I've done a new install but I assume it still works...maybe?
I was able to reuse the same key on Office 2010 when I upgraded the motherboard/ram last year.

My luck with Office 365 at work ... sometimes their servers have connection issues and I can't even check my mail. What MS support says about it ? They can't do anything, it just happens ...

I don't see why people have an issue with it being offered as a service. New versions come out somewhat frequently, so unless you stay with the same version forever, it isn't going to be cheaper. Additionally, you get the service of remote storage built into the program. If you don't want to upload documents to SkyDrive, you don't have to. When the subscription expires, you get to keep whatever version of Office that is installed and you keep read-only access to the files that you uploaded to SkyDrive.

I grabbed a copy of 365 Academic (4-year) for school and really like it.

Oh. You get to keep part is interesting. So you buy it and immediately cancel subscription and it would be like buying 2013?

Then the subscription part is irrelevant - save for the hassle of canceling subscription - then what is the down side of going with 365?
They really need to clarify that with marketing, people think you only get to use it if you paid a fee that year.

EDIT:

View attachment 133530

"Once your Office 365 subscription expires, the Office software applications enter read-only reduced functionality mode, which means that you can view or print documents only, but you will not be able to create new documents or edit existing documents."

365 for basic home use may not be a good idea... at least 2013 is "forever".

Last edited:
I don't see why people have an issue with it being offered as a service. New versions come out somewhat frequently, so unless you stay with the same version forever, it isn't going to be cheaper. Additionally, you get the service of remote storage built into the program. If you don't want to upload documents to SkyDrive, you don't have to. When the subscription expires, you get to keep whatever version of Office that is installed and you keep read-only access to the files that you uploaded to SkyDrive.

I grabbed a copy of 365 Academic (4-year) for school and really like it.

Hmm can you clarify that a little more? WIthout a sub I can still open my docx files locally and edit and print and whatever?

Oh. You get to keep part is interesting. So you buy it and immediately cancel subscription and it would be like buying 2013?

Then the subscription part is irrelevant - save for the hassle of canceling subscription - then what is the down side of going with 365?
They really need to clarify that with marketing, people think you only get to use it if you paid a fee that year.

Hmm can you clarify that a little more? WIthout a sub I can still open my docx files locally and edit and print and whatever?
If you buy a year and it expires, you get to keep access to your files in the SkyDrive. You can't write to them, but you can still read them. It took me quite a bit of research to find this information, so I agree they need to make this a lot more obvious. They don't just delete your files.

Additionally, when it expires, you still have the full version of Office installed locally, so you can work with files locally just like normal. This is the only reason that I purchased the version that I did. They made it sound like it was fully online, which I was very against, specifically if their servers went down or if I'm working without internet. You do get online versions (like Google Docs), but it includes full versions that you install, just like if you were to purchase the old ones in a store (2003, 2007, 2010, etc).

So, what is the downside of going with 365 then?

We're mostly concerned about using the installed program on our computers, using our local storage inside our own homes - not files in the sky - so what is the advantage of 2013 over 365, if you can just cancel 365 subscription and use MS Office at home "forever"?

I'm not really sure, to be honest. I think they are only doing that feature spread and pricing to get people to do the subscription. How many people buy the newest version when it comes out, rather than using the same version until it literally doesn't work? They will get more money with subscriptions.

I was going to outright buy 2013 initially until I saw that 365 came with free upgrades, online storage, and some other goodies.

HeyLook.gif

"Once your Office 365 subscription expires, the Office software applications enter read-only reduced functionality mode, which means that you can view or print documents only, but you will not be able to create new documents or edit existing documents."

365 for basic home use may not be a good idea... at least 2013 is "forever".

I wish I could find the article where I got the information from, but it specifically stated that you'd lose access to Skydrive, but not Office. I'll concede I could be wrong and that would make sense on the pricing difference, then.

...and I would conclude that Microsoft wants customers to find out the hard way what happens once 365 subscription stops: everything becomes read-only.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. If you are going to keep the version for a long time, buying it outright would probably be better.

In my case, I need the newest version for school, so the subscription in convenient.

Don't mean to bump an old thread, but I figured that my questions have been partially answered here except for a few...

Backstory:

Office 2010 is way too expensive to get from MS as I don't trust sites like softwareau...

Office 2013 & 365 is all that's available and I want the forever version of office, but all the reviews I see for Office 2013 are all bad...

Just how bad is Office 2013? I have a client that has an illegitimate copy of office 2010 since its pestering them to activate with a new key... I've convinced them to make the purchase for a new software license but I'm not sure whether they should get office 2013 (forever) or 365 (lower cost upfront).

If I pay $100 for Office 365 Premium (has to have outlook)... is the yearly subscription $100 or is it reduced amount?

Many of the poor reviews regarding Office 2013 was that it would crash a lot... is this still true or have MS patches stabilized this version?

I believe it is the same per year, but I bought the 4-yr and my subscription is not up for a long time.

Stability wise, I've never had an issue with it.

Back