• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MS Office for Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
they are probably only looking to quash libre/open office.

Overall I dont see this as much of a positive.

they are probably only looking to quash libre/open office.

Overall I dont see this as much of a positive.

I assume that is their intention as well, MS has always been about monopolizing the marketplace and having another office program to compete with is an annoyance. They did the same with the Apple market, I am running MS office on my Mac.

Although this will help those that have Linux that really need MS Office (for any number of reasons).

It seems that MS is considering a version of Office for Linux Distros, good news for those that need Office on Linux

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/07/microsoft-office-for-linux-rumor/

If one single solitary person has the power to scare Microsoft, It's Gabe Newell, and he's already sounded the horns of war. I think Microsoft is preparing to lose that fight; as of right now MS Office is about the only go forward product they have if windows dies. Nobody needs MS Studio on linux, nobody needs security essentials on linux, and nobody needs visio ever unless you work at a big company that's probably got windows XP on all their boxes anyway.

Microsoft has lost the server market in a big way, they never even entered the mobile market, and now the PC market is rallying against them; they have to prepare for their own future, and I think they see where it's headed. It really makes sense; there's no such thing as a windows enthusiast. Even the most staunchly rooted into windows are still seeing it as a neccessary evil... but you got linux and osx fanboys who genuinely enjoy the experience of using their OS. There's no such joy in windows...

I only use windows for games. how many people say that? There's almost nothing you can't do on linux for free that you'd have to pay money to do on windows, except gaming. that rule is changing now, isn't it?

If one single solitary person has the power to scare Microsoft, It's Gabe Newell, and he's already sounded the horns of war. I think Microsoft is preparing to lose that fight; as of right now MS Office is about the only go forward product they have if windows dies. Nobody needs MS Studio on linux, nobody needs security essentials on linux, and nobody needs visio ever unless you work at a big company that's probably got windows XP on all their boxes anyway.

Microsoft has lost the server market in a big way, they never even entered the mobile market, and now the PC market is rallying against them; they have to prepare for their own future, and I think they see where it's headed. It really makes sense; there's no such thing as a windows enthusiast. Even the most staunchly rooted into windows are still seeing it as a neccessary evil... but you got linux and osx fanboys who genuinely enjoy the experience of using their OS. There's no such joy in windows...

I only use windows for games. how many people say that? There's almost nothing you can't do on linux for free that you'd have to pay money to do on windows, except gaming. that rule is changing now, isn't it?

I am far from being a fan of Microsoft, but not entirely sure where you are getting that they lost the server market.

Again, not sure where you are getting at that they are lost the server market. My last several jobs have had a high percentage of Windows machines to anything else in their environments, and these weren't small companies either.

Again, not sure where you are getting at that they are lost the server market. My last several jobs have had a high percentage of Windows machines to anything else in their environments, and these weren't small companies either.

We have an overwhelming majority of unix and ibm. Only thing we use windows server for are network shares and exchange. But here is what I meant by that: Regardless of their server market share, they don't neccessarily get many sales. Consider the average windows server, how many of yours are windows 2008 server r2? Probably none of them?

All our stuff's still 03. Near as I can tell, that's 0 market share of sales for the year, and I wouldn't call a machine we bought half a decade ago and still have running the same os, a part of MS's market share. it was the year we bought it, but not this year. See what I'm saying? A lot of companies, do this. We're just now moving to windows 7. :\

A previous job we were in the process of pushing 2008 R2 when I left and that was over 2 years ago, they are probably almost totally upgraded at this point, and my current job we are in a big push to get 2008 R2 rolled out.

I apologize for the thread jacking, you may returned to your originally schedules questions and confusions of MS Office for Linux.

Back