• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

msi 648 + samsung?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peugot

i wonder if this motherboard can use this ram sticks(samsung 1gb 1Rx8 pc2 - 6400U-666-12-zz)? there are some more on the bricks(cf7 0831) if that helps? they are for a friend, he only have 512 mb ram on his pc, so i wanted to do something nice for him and give him these if they fit =)

i wonder if this motherboard can use this ram sticks(samsung 1gb 1Rx8 pc2 - 6400U-666-12-zz)? there are some more on the bricks(cf7 0831) if that helps? they are for a friend, he only have 512 mb ram on his pc, so i wanted to do something nice for him and give him these if they fit =)

No, His board uses DDR, that stick is DDR2..Hence the "PC2" designator. Its the thought that counts! Just so you know, DDR will be costly, since there is the 3rd generation of it already..

No, His board uses DDR, that stick is DDR2..Hence the "PC2" designator. Its the thought that counts!

ah i see :( is it possible to get DDR in 1 gb sticks then? he runs windows 7 with only 512 mb... thank you for your help =)

ah i see :( is it possible to get DDR in 1 gb sticks then? he runs windows 7 with only 512 mb... thank you for your help =)

Sounds to me he was running windows XP, and then upgraded without reading the minimum requirements of Windows 7.

You'll need to do some research and find out the maximum the board can support and speed. Then see how much he can afford..

I would get two sets of anything listed and abandon the stick he's using so everything is matched...

Or one pair of 2 x 512 and one pair of 2 x 1gig, giving him 3 gig of RAM.

again, make sure his board can see one gig sticks... do some research first...

hehe we was aware of the minimum requirements, but te thing is we also know we kan run it even if we have lower specs than it, but it will not be optimal. it does run, but from my point of view it does run a little close to the limits =) so we want to put som cheap ram that fits in it, and maybe a cpu that does fit to his mobo. but i can only find 1-core cpu's that fits? also, DDR ram sticks are so old they are hard to find these days...

hehe we was aware of the minimum requirements, but te thing is we also know we kan run it even if we have lower specs than it, but it will not be optimal. it does run, but from my point of view it does run a little close to the limits =) so we want to put som cheap ram that fits in it, and maybe a cpu that does fit to his mobo. but i can only find 1-core cpu's that fits? also, DDR ram sticks are so old they are hard to find these days...

You can find them, just big $$.. Good luck..

Yeah, that will work.. 1.5gig is still not enough... Get two of them.

yes those are 1GB sticks, he will have to throw his 512mb out anyway(can't use different sized sticks at the same time?), and buy 2 of the 1GB's to put in =) thank you for the help! =)

yes those are 1GB sticks, he will have to throw his 512mb out anyway(can't use different sized sticks at the same time?), and buy 2 of the 1GB's to put in =) thank you for the help! =)

I think that board was made before dual channel, so you could use two 1 gigers and a 512MB, yielding you 2.5gig. It will be only has fast as your slowest.. That board only has 3 slots, so that will work fine.

Want to really speed him up? move to a IDE to CF, and kinda go SSD in IDE form...

I think that board was made before dual channel, so you could use two 1 gigers and a 512MB, yielding you 2.5gig. It will be only has fast as your slowest.. That board only has 3 slots, so that will work fine.

Want to really speed him up? move to a IDE to CF, and kinda go SSD in IDE form...

nice, where do i get IDE cf, and is it really epensive? could you make sure this ram setup will work(2x1GB + 1x512mb? this is the board: http://no.msi.com/product/mb/648-Max.html

also, is there only 1-core processor for this board?

and how do i get CF to work with this board, its really old so i will probably need to use an ide to (whatever cf use) converter ??

nice, where do i get IDE cf, and is it really epensive? could you make sure this ram setup will work(2x1GB + 1x512mb? this is the board: http://no.msi.com/product/mb/648-Max.html

also, is there only 1-core processor for this board?

and how do i get CF to work with this board, its really old so i will probably need to use an ide to (whatever cf use) converter ??

Yup... it looks like this.. I already did it for a laptop, Check out the thread here and I ordered one today for a desktop. I got a 16gig 400x CF card because the system has a 10gig HD in it now, and that's well big enough. By doing this, it will revive his system to rocket ship speeds... ;) Remember, it needs to be 400x or faster to be worth it... I've stuck with transend because it has been proven to boot fine from it. Other may work, but since it works fine, I don't want to test other cards if I have a chance to break it...

nice, but jeez look at the prices.. isn't it more worth it to buy an ssd and a ide-to-sata and use that? and w7 uses like 40-50gb space, so there is no way it will be enough with only 16gb?

You can't find any IDE SSD's... This is the work around so you can..:clap:

IDE to SATA is more money, plus the cost of the SATA SSD drive...

EDIT: Lower cost version

i know, thats why i say i need a ide-to-sata converter if ill go with that :p in my country that would actually be like half the price to go with a 64gb crucial v4 and an converter like that instead of going with a 64gb cf... can you believe this weird country.. :S

Back